SurveyMonkey CEO Dave Goldberg dies at 47

Tributes are flowing in for 47-year-old Dave Goldberg of Menlo Park. The CEO of SurveyMonkey and the husband of Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg, he was on vacation in Mexico with his wife when he died unexpectedly on Friday.

"It's with incredible shock and sadness that I'm letting our friends and family know that my amazing brother, Dave Goldberg, beloved husband of Sheryl Sandberg, father of two wonderful children, and son of Paula Goldberg, passed away suddenly last night," his brother Robert posted on Facebook Saturday morning.

According to the New York Times, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office in Nayarit State said Goldberg left his room at the Four Seasons Resort near Punta Mita around 4 p.m. on Friday, and apparently collapsed while exercising. He died of head trauma and blood loss, the spokesman said.

The Associated Press is reporting that he apparently fell from a treadmill, striking the back of his head.

Goldberg's brother, Robert Goldberg, reportedly found him on the floor of the gym at the resort at around 7 p.m. After being taken to the hospital with weak vital signs, Goldberg died, the spokesman told the New York Times.

Goldberg lived in Menlo Park, studied government at Harvard from 1985 to 1989, and was formerly associated with Benchmark Capital in Menlo Park and Yahoo, according to his Facebook page. SurveyMonkey, a company that provides online surveys and data analysis, is headquartered in Palo Alto. He was known as a tireless advocate for gender equality in and out of the workplace.

He met Sandberg in 1996, according to a post on her Facebook page:

"I met Dave over 15 years ago and we immediately became the best of friends. He was the first person to show me the internet, the kind of friend who shows up to help you move apartments... and always made me feel like I was home no matter where I was," she wrote.

The couple married eight years later. "... I wrote in 'Lean In' that the most important decision a woman makes is if she has a life partner and who that life partner will be. The best decision I ever made was to marry Dave."

Sandberg is the chief operating officer at Facebook.

Many tributes were posted online, with Silicon Valley luminaries expressing shock at his death and gratitude for the time they had together.

"Dave Goldberg was an amazing person and I am glad I got to know him," Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, posted on his Facebook page. "My thoughts and prayers are with Sheryl and her family. I hope friends will join me in celebrating his life by sharing your memories of Dave on his proflle, as his brother Rob suggests."

SurveyMonkey posted a brief statement on its website announcing Goldberg had died and offering its condolences.

"Dave's genius, courage and leadership were overshadowed only by his compassion, friendship and heart," the statement reads. "His greatest love was for his family. Our sympathy goes out to them and to all who were touched by this extraordinary man. We are all heartbroken."

Comments

12 people like this
Posted by T force
on May 2, 2015 at 6:10 pm

He was a great guy. Kind. Smart. And moral in his business practices. Nothing privacy destroying about Survey Monkey.

This is however a warning to two dynamo parent families. Something gotta give. Either its the parenting, time with the kids, time with each other, the business supporting the other spouse (all of which he delivered on) or the health. He took the stress on his shoulders.

Sympathy to Sheryl. Devastating.

Posted by Co-Parent
on May 2, 2015 at 6:56 pm

[Post removed.]

6 people like this
Posted by Very Sorry
on May 2, 2015 at 7:07 pm

So very sorry to hear of Dave's sudden loss, particularly for his wife and children. 47 is just too young.

6 people like this
Posted by Sympathy and love
a resident of Green Acres
on May 2, 2015 at 9:02 pm

If anyone can put one foot in front of another, it is Sheryl. May you continue to lead and chage the world during this very sad and difficult time. I am so saddened to know the deep pain and sorrow you and your family are feeling.

10 people like this
Posted by PA Parent
a resident of Green Acres
on May 2, 2015 at 9:03 pm

That is so heartbreaking -- much too young. Condolences to the family. Prayers for his children.

5 people like this
Posted by Nayeli
on May 3, 2015 at 8:40 am

Wow -- this was a shock. My heart aches for Ms. Sandberg and their families.

Posted by sea seelam Reddy
a resident of College Terrace
on May 3, 2015 at 6:56 pm

My prayers are with Sandberg family.

Great talented person with exceptional talent.

Respectfully recommend

Posted by Bunyip
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on May 3, 2015 at 7:15 pm

[Post removed.]

22 people like this
Posted by Elizabeth A.
on May 4, 2015 at 10:57 am

I often read these Palo Alto articles and the comments that follow. It appears that any positive comments are posted here, but any negative posts appear to be deleted. I would like to be able to read both positive and negative and make up my own mind on what I think.
Note: this comment applies to these article in general; certainly not this post. I feel deeply for Ms Sandberg and her family.

4 people like this
Posted by Charles
on May 4, 2015 at 1:31 pm

[Post removed.]

2 people like this
Posted by Rose A
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on May 4, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Rose A is a registered user.

My sympathies to the family and friends of Mr. Goldberg. My thoughts are with you during this sad time.

5 people like this
Posted by Sally
on May 4, 2015 at 5:16 pm

T force, your post implies that Mr Goldberg's death was the result of his "dynamo" lifestyle. Today I heard on the radio (KCBS) that he apparently died from a head injury after working out on a stairmaster during his vacation in Mexico. Maybe he was juggling his career and family life just fine but had a freak accident that was totally unrelated to his "dynamo" lifestyle. Sometimes s_ _ t just happens.

My condolences to the Goldberg family.

4 people like this
Posted by Gym User
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on May 4, 2015 at 5:47 pm

I am so sorry to hear about this accident and the sad death.

As a gym member I have experienced gyms in various hotels, home and overseas. They are often poorly monitored even in "brand name" hotels and apart from certain busy times, usually early morning, it is possible to be the only person working out.

[Portion removed.]

For those of us who are used to busy gyms and are familiar with the machines we use regularly, it is wise to consider always using an unknown gym with a gym buddy just in case of such accident. I once witnessed someone stumble on a treadmill, falling backwards and hitting themselves on another apparatus close behind. Fortunately in this case, it was the arm of the victim that hit the apparatus and there were other members nearby who were able to give immediate attention if the accident had been serious.

Exercising even on vacation is a great stress reliever as well as the exercise involved. This freak accident is unusual and the events leading up to it can be understood by gym users. Always having a gym buddy who may not even be someone you know, just having someone else in a hotel gym, is a good practice.

Sympathies to both families and friends, as well as his employees. What a terrible accident.

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,344 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 215 views