Storify: The fight for Buena Vista Mobile Home Park

View an archive of documents, videos, photos and news coverage about Buena Vista's proposed closure

For more than half a century, Buena Vista Mobile Home Park has hidden in plain sight.

A working-class enclave in a city known for sky-high real estate prices, the 4.6-acre mobile-home park has been providing affordable housing to about 400 residents, many of them Hispanic and on the lower end of the local income scale.

Next week, the fate of those residents -- who face eviction from the El Camino Real property -- could be decided by the Palo Alto City Council, which will rule on the residents' appeal to stem the park's closure. At issue is whether the compensation offered to the residents by the property owner for relocation is sufficient.

In advance of the hearings on April 13 and 14, the Weekly has compiled an archive of news coverage capturing the many voices of the people involved in the fight over Buena Vista. The archive of documents, videos, photos and news articles tell of a long and emotional process that since the fall of 2012 has galvanized the community and thrust the park's residents into the spotlight.

The Storify archive will continue to be updated. To view it, go to Storify.com.

Comments

12 people like this
Posted by Paly Parent
a resident of Community Center
on Apr 9, 2015 at 9:43 am

This is an important, comprehensive and informative resource for anyone wanting to know more about the history and current events related to Buena Vista.

Well-done, thank you Palo Alto Weekly!

I'd also like to add to this collection a link to a recent Palo Alto High School "Verde Magazine" feature story (with beautiful photos), and also a Verde editorial on the topic:

Web Link

Web Link

9 people like this
Posted by Stephanie
a resident of Community Center
on Apr 9, 2015 at 10:55 am

I just saw the beautiful, thoughtful article from Verde magazine. Has anyone tried to contact Mark Zuckerberg? If someone could send him the Verde article, perhaps he could do for Palo Alto what he did for my hometown of Newark, New Jersey -- donate money. After all, he lives right here in Palo Alto. Perhaps the park could even change its name to Zuckerberg Park, or Facebook Park, or better still, name it after Zuckerberg's wife.

I certainly hope that some solution can be found. But Mr. Zuckerberg has the ability to solve this problem. I realize that everyone is always looking to him for donations, but this is his own backyard. I hope someone can send him a copy of Verde magazine. Kudos to the writers/ photographers. It will be a sad day for Palo Alto, a city whose population now lives in only multimillion dollar homes, to see the residents of Buena Vista forced out of their homes.

I hope someone can forward a copy of the magazine to Mr. Z.

2 people like this
Posted by Becky Sanders
a resident of Ventura
on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Would Storify like to host this video created by our volunteers about the City Hall rally March 9th. Thank you!
Becky
Programming Manager
Media Center

Web Link

2 people like this
Posted by My Nguyen
digital editor of Palo Alto Online
on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:23 am

My Nguyen is a registered user.

Hi Becky! The Weekly created the archive using the Storify platform so we are able to curate the content. I will add the video link you provided to the "Related content" section. Thank you for sharing!

2 people like this
Posted by My Nguyen
digital editor of Palo Alto Online
on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:24 am

My Nguyen is a registered user.

Hi Paly Parent! Please do and thank you for sharing.

4 people like this
Posted by Crescent Park
on Apr 10, 2015 at 12:04 pm

BV is not for sale. Why do people keep insisting on grandstanding with government funds or asking for donations when the owners are not selling?

1 person likes this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Apr 10, 2015 at 2:45 pm

" I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." (Don Corleone)

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Couples: Philosophy of Love

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 1,028 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 676 views