PUBLIC AGENDA: retail ordinance, water rates, pump station

A preview of Palo Alto government meetings for the week of April 6.

CITY COUNCIL ... The council plans to discuss the cost-of-services study and the city's policy for recovering user fees and consider an interim ordinance to prohibit conversion of ground-floor retail to other uses. The council will also meet in a closed session to discuss the status of the city's labor negotiations with the Palo Alto Police Officers Association and the International Association of Fire Fighters, Local 1319. The regular meeting will begin at 6 p.m. on Monday, April 6, in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 250 Hamilton Ave. The closed session will follow. Read the agenda here.

COUNCIL POLICY AND SERVICES COMMITTEE ... The committee will consider various modifications to the City Council's procedures and protocols. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 8, in the Community Meeting Room at City Hall, 250 Hamilton Ave. Read the agenda here.

HISTORIC RESOURCES BOARD ... The board plans to hear an informational update on the pump station at Hale Street and Palo Alto Avenue. The meeting will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, April 9, in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 250 Hamilton Ave.

Comments

3 people like this
Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Apr 3, 2015 at 4:29 pm

>COUNCIL FINANCE COMMITTEE ... The committee plans to consider the Fiscal Year 2016 Water Utility Financial Plan and adopt a resolution amending the city's water rates, which includes a 12 percent rate increase starting on July 1. The council will also consider raising the residential rate for the refuse service by 9 percent on July 1; and approve the Fiscal Year 2016 Waste Water Collection Financial Plan. The meeting will begin at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 7, in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 250 Hamilton Ave. Read the agenda here.
-------------------------------------------------

Re the proposed 9% refuse rate increase, I figured out that I'm due a 50% rate reduction based on the number of cans of refuse I currently put at the curb each month. I am certainly not putting out 13.5 cans per month and have no earthly use for a costly compost pail since the cans are steps from my kitchen.

I already have tons of flying insects from the broken storm drain (another $13 per month, $156 per year) that our Storm Drain manager Oscar Godinez says he'll get to me real soon now because they're very backed up with storm drain problems.

The puddle at the end of my driveway is still there even although it last sprinkled 2 -- or was it 3? -- weeks ago.

5 people like this
Posted by Cris
a resident of Downtown North
on Apr 6, 2015 at 4:20 pm

When is the city council going to continue to work towards fighting aircraft noise over Palo Alto? The SFO arrivals over our city has diminished the quality of life for many Palo Alto residents who live under the flight paths. Planes flying over our homes every 3 minutes at low altitudes and planes flying over our homes up until 1am in the morning is a serious health issue.

2 people like this
Posted by Resident
a resident of Ventura
on Apr 6, 2015 at 10:28 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Apr 6, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Resident, -- and/or anyone else -- details and links please!

2 people like this
Posted by Resident
a resident of Ventura
on Apr 6, 2015 at 11:48 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Resident
a resident of Ventura
on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:01 am

@ Online Name

Here is a link to the city council meeting.

Web Link

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:38 am

That web-link to the Council Meeting works while the meeting is live.
Scroll down to find recordings of latest meetings.
It takes a few days for a recorded meeting to get posted.

Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:40 am

Thanks to you both. I was poking around there but I didn't realize it took a few days for the recorded meetings to get posted.

Will look then.

2 people like this
Posted by Resident
a resident of Ventura
on Apr 7, 2015 at 8:40 am

@ Moderator

What terms have been violated?

During last nights session of city council, regarding retail, Liz Kniss made her statements,knew that her no vote would not count,then left early.

Moderator comment: Kniss was ill, arrived late and left as soon as it was apparent that her vote was not needed to pass the motion on directing staff to prepare an urgency measure. Your comment misstated the circumstances of her absence and departure from the meeting.

2 people like this
Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Apr 7, 2015 at 12:39 pm

So what was decided about the utility rates?

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Apr 7, 2015 at 6:37 pm

The video recording of yesterday evening's council meeting is up already.
Faster than I recall in the past. Great service.

2 people like this
Posted by Dissed and disgruntled
on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:32 am

Re: water. I would like the construction company that built that monstrous hotel near El camino and arastradero while often letting the water flow into the gutter, and the future customers to pay for my dead landscaping. I would like Liz kniss and the councilmembers who approved that oversized thing to offset the water usage in their own usage, heck let's just give them a glass or two ration every few days and call it even.

2 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Apr 8, 2015 at 9:30 am

Thanks for the link, I appreciate that.

I too would like to know what happened about the utility rates.

I don't think it is too hard to expect the newspaper to actually report the news and what was said about this. They have a paid reporter who should be covering this to inform the public. I don't expect to have to watch a couple of hours video to find out this information. I expect my newspaper to be able to report on a meeting and tell me what happened in a report I can read in a couple of minutes. And I don't mean just the headline grabbing parts, but the "small print" items too.

2 people like this
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Apr 8, 2015 at 2:18 pm

@Resident, I don't think utility rates were discussed at the Council meeting on Monday. I was there mostly to watch the Kipling building comments and the ground floor retail debate. The utilities agenda item at the top of this thread was for the Finance Committee meeting on Tuesday.

I note that the midpenmedia webpage labeled Monday's council meeting as 4/7 when it was really 4/6. Maybe they will correct it soon.

4 people like this
Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Apr 8, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Thank you for the link to the 4.5 hour meeting. It was certainly an eye-opener. Who knew the City Council tried to write regulations during the council meetings and that there was so little followup/discussion of major points like "Fake Retail? Oh, yes. A dentist in Midtown got classified as "retail" because he sells toothbrushes." "Yup. Institute for the Future....ooops, what was that you said about how we should classify gyms?"

Major policy questions like whether retail should be concentrated in a smaller area, as the Chamber of Commerce wants, or whether it should be allowed to exist and maybe expand to a larger area were left hanging after people said their pieces.

Posted by Neighbor
on Apr 8, 2015 at 4:27 pm

@ Resident

The majority of company's that pay for advertising for the Palo Alto Weekly involve Real Estate. I do not blame the Weekly for not biting the hand that feeds. You just wont get the whole truth.

Posted by Neighbor
on Apr 8, 2015 at 4:27 pm

@ Resident

Posted by Crescent Park Dad
on Apr 8, 2015 at 5:27 pm

to the first poster: Take your broom and brush the puddle at the end of your driveway down towards the storm drain. Problem solved.

Our streets will never be perfect - especially the gutters and sidewalks since there are so many street trees/roots.

It will probably take you less time to brush out your puddle than it takes to log on and write something in this forum.

Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Apr 8, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Crescent Park Dad, I would sweep the water -- and there's a LOT of it -- away if I could find a working storm drain anywhere close. There is a similar albeit smaller puddle across the street that also lasts for weeks after each sprinkle,

My point is I'm being charged $156 a year for non-working storm drains and have been for the 3 years since I first filed a complaint about it. Instead of fixing problems, the city hires Communications outreach consultants to lecture us about conservation and usage comparisons.

I'd rather they fix the problems, not spin them.

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 71 comments | 3,740 views

Global Warming Diet

Couples: "Taming Your Gremlin" by Richard Carson

Preparing for kindergarten
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 716 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 285 views

Race is tomorrow!

​On Friday, September 21, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run, or—for the first time—half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More