Shop Talk: Shady Lane moves, Anatolian Kitchen expands

Business openings, closings and more

SHADY LANE MOVES TO MENLO ... One of downtown Palo Alto's oldest shops is closing next month and moving to Sharon Heights Shopping Center in Menlo Park. Shady Lane, 441 University Ave., is an eclectic craft store, art gallery and gift boutique. Owner and artisan Alice Deutscher said she will miss having her shop downtown, but she had no choice. "It's been a wonderful experience being on University Avenue for 40 years, but our building is being demolished," she said. "It's definitely a bump in the road, but I'm a survivor." Shady Lane will close next month, approximately one week after Valentine's Day; its tentative Menlo Park opening date is early March. Deutscher found an octagonal-shaped building for the store's rebirth. "It's the only stand-alone building in the Sharon Heights Shopping Center," she said. "It's about the same size as my current shop, but it looks bigger because it's wider." The boutique's new location has been vacant for about a year, ever since Fino Fino, a hat shop, moved out of the center. The unusually shaped space is located between Wells Fargo Bank and Starbucks, and Deutscher has big plans for it. "It has a courtyard, so I can hold outdoor artisan events," she said. During her four decades on University Avenue, Deutscher witnessed many changes. "Rents have increased so much that a lot of the independent stores had no other option but to close," she said. "Then the chain stores moved in. We still have local businesses here, but they are holding on for dear life." Shady Lane's move will also include the store dog, Abby Rae, a six-pound Chihuahua who relaxes in a dog bed near the front door. Also involved in the planned demolition is the upscale furniture store, Design Within Reach, located at 447 University Ave. next to Shady Lane at the corner of Kipling Street. That store's current lease expires in July 2015 and is expected to continue on a month-to-month basis until further notice, according to a shop employee. The proposal for the new development calls for a four-story, 50-foot building at 429-447 University Ave., replacing the two current shops as well as the two vacancies established when yogurt shop Red Mango and clothing store Fashion Passion closed. Plans detail a concept for new ground floor retail, with a mix of offices, apartments and commercial space on the upper three floors.

TALKING TURKEY: ANATOLIAN KITCHEN EXPANDS ... It took nearly 18 months and more than $250,000, but restaurant owner Dino Tekdemir finally has managed to double the size of his Turkish restaurant. The addition to Anatolian Kitchen, 2323 Birch St., Palo Alto, opened last month. "I couldn't be happier or prouder. It's hard to believe this used to be a pizza place," said Tekdemir, referring to the new wing of his restaurant, formerly the home of Ramona's Pizza, which unexpectedly closed in May 2013. It was then that Tekdemir grabbed the space, which was adjacent to his restaurant. "I completely gutted it and started fresh," he said. The casual pizza joint has been transformed into an elegant bar and lounge. Pointing to the suede stools and elaborate marble bar, Tekdemir said, "Everything here has been custom-made from A to Z, and it's all from Turkey. Once customers sit in these chairs, they don't want to get up; that's how comfortable they are." A collection of Turkish rugs decorates the walls and floors of the 1,000-square-foot addition. Tekdemir has thrown himself into his restaurant. "I sold my other restaurant in San Francisco last year," he said. "It was too much. I couldn't keep going back and forth. My time and energy had to be focused on my Palo Alto restaurant. I even moved to Palo Alto recently so that I can walk to work every day." Menu prices have not increased as a result of the expansion. "It's killing me, but we have not raised our prices. Everything has remained the same," Tekdemir said, adding that he has big plans for the future of his restaurant. "We're going to add live music and belly dancers. And we'll be announcing a happy hour." Anatolian Kitchen is a family-based business. Tekdemir's brother and wife work at the restaurant. "But I consider everyone who works here my family," he added. "My success is their success."

Heard a rumor about your favorite store or business moving out or in, down the block or across town? Daryl Savage will check it out. Email shoptalk@paweekly.com

Comments

35 people like this
Posted by Hermia
a resident of Triple El
on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:31 am

Once again a beloved Palo Alto treasure is being displaced in favor of
speculation. Shady Lane has long been part of the charming artisanal character of downtown PA.
Why would anyone think we'd rather have *anything* else?
The new stores will have to be pretty high end to sustain rents in a new building.

At least the new shop is in driving distance.

10 people like this
Posted by Theresa
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:35 am

The space to which Shady Lane is moving was once a florist -- Nature's Octagon. I remember this because they did the flowers for our wedding almost 38 years ago!

Sorry to see Shady Lane leave downtown Palo Alto though. Best wishes to Anatolian Kitchen -- that block of Birch Street is turning into a gourmet ghetto with Bistro Elan just up the street!

30 people like this
Posted by What a Shame
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:45 am

When will the city realize there is value in making sure business stays local? Shady Lane is part of our family tradition. Every year we go there for birthday presents for our kids. Alice recognizes our kids whenever they come in. This is the sort of business that makes a town home. What a loss for Palo Alto to lose such a warm and inviting member of our community. Why can't the city press the developer to make space for restablishment of previous busninesses?
The Cheescake factor (named of course for the hideous facade of The Cheesecake Factory) is a disease spreading over University Avenue. City government is fraught with developers and those seeking political gain so the end seems to be inevitable. I am afraid it's too late to hold back the scourge but we can hope that our government (I'd love to say leaders but they haven't earned that) hasn't shown a single sign that they will work to maintain a sliver of what makes Palo Alto home.
In the mean time, we will go to Shady Lane for birthday presents this month for the last time in Palo Alto...

33 people like this
Posted by Greed speaks
a resident of Downtown North
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:55 am

Thanks to Elizabeth Wong and Jaime Wong, owners of the property, for contributing to the destruction our valuable downtown.
But they did it with the help of glass box expert, Architect Ken Hayes.
And thanks to the Staff enablers for approving these unwelcome neighbors.

33 people like this
Posted by Carol Gilbert
a resident of University South
on Jan 19, 2015 at 1:09 pm

So disappointing to see Shady Lane have to leave town. What are we going to be left with down town? Nowhere fun to shop, that's for sure. City Council, wake up and do something!

16 people like this
Posted by ChrisC
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 19, 2015 at 1:28 pm

I guess we might as well accept that Palo Alto will all be high-tech offices and glitzy, expensive eateries and hair salons, which will come and go because there just isn't the demand to sustain the high rents for anything other than business. On another note, Anatolian Kitchen serves really delicious food, the owner and staff are so nice, it feels like family when I am there. The new addition is indeed beautiful, and I'm so glad Dino finally has his dream, after waiting many months (10? ) for a permit from the City during which he had to pay rent with nothing coming in for it.

24 people like this
Posted by Palo Altan
on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I completely agree with Greed Speaks. The Shady Lane building is a charming structure that adds to the character of downtown PA. [Portion removed.]

30 people like this
Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 19, 2015 at 2:41 pm

It's heartbreaking to see the iconic Shady Lane leave University Ave. and a lovely building torn down. Shameful. However, we Shady Lane lovers will support wonderful Alice and Shady Lane by frequenting the new location. I wish them all the best with the move. I hope the mountain lion also finds a good spot in the new shop!

1 person likes this
Posted by Chris Zaharias
on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Chris Zaharias is a registered user.

My first time dining at Anatolian Kitchen was last week, but it will *not* be my last. The meat's very good, though IMHO their salads will need to improve to vie with all the great salad options in PA.

18 people like this
Posted by Goody! More office buildings
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Oh, goody! Another "four-story, 50-foot building"! Plans detail a concept for new ground floor retail, with a mix of offices, apartments and commercial space on the upper three floors.

How many parking spaces for 3 floors of offices, apartments and commercial space?? What retail's going in since we're doing nothing to preserve existing retail valued by the community?

Yes, please hire a few more pr people to tell us how important retail preservation is.

30 people like this
Posted by Sad for PA's Loss
on Jan 19, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Alice and her wonderful store has to move out of Palo Alto. I have been shopping there for unique and beautiful gifts for 29 years. The care that Alice and her staff give to each customer to make sure that they find just the right gift is very special. It is heartbreaking that the very character of our community is being exchanged for higher rents and high tech. What next? So many old favorites are already gone.

The best statement we can make is to make sure we support Shady Lane in its' new location. I for one will make an extra effort to travel to Menlo Park for my gifts. (I hope Palo Alto feels the loss of my tax revenue).This is certainly our loss and Sharon Heights gain.

Good Luck Shady Lane!!!

16 people like this
Posted by ChrisC
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 19, 2015 at 7:26 pm

ChrisC is a registered user.

BTW martha's Pastries very near the new shadylane is really nice, and reasonably priced. Their androgyne cake is that best ever. Their Friday challah is also good. Shady Lane and martha's will get ne over there.

13 people like this
Posted by bell was ringing
on Jan 19, 2015 at 7:35 pm

The new Council and Mayor are 12 years too late, dating from the ARB and
staff approval of The Cheesecake Factory in early 2003 without a peep
from the City Council. That was the proverbial bell ringing that something was very wrong in Palo Alto. And it has played out big-time. This City has been ruined with the pipeline gushing disaster after disaster and in the
process undermining long-term community values. Nevertheless the new Mayor and Council majority must take strong action to do what they can at
this point, do what is necessary. Take control.

18 people like this
Posted by jaa
a resident of University South
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:47 am

Will miss you Shady Lane, all the very best to you. Sadly, developers seem to care less about Palo Alto's unique history or have the capacity for this sentiment. Sadly, they will turn it into another boring sandbox for wealthy speculators. So now just about all there is to do is go out and eat and have your hair done. That's nice but it's not enough. They call this a vibrant downtown? It WAS a vibrant downtown in a rather civil and charming way not so long ago. Now, it feels increasingly like a ghost town full of people who do not understand proper sidewalk etiquette, to say the very least.

22 people like this
Posted by Anneke
a resident of Professorville
on Jan 20, 2015 at 8:37 am

Shady Lane gives you a wonderful experience. Because of its beautiful jewelry and other very attractive artistic products, often created by gifted local artists, and accompanied by truly outstanding service from Alice and her team, shopping at this store is personal, magic and extremely rewarding.

When I wear my colorful Danish Troll beads, I always think of Shady Lane and it makes me happy.

University Avenue will not have the same attraction for me anymore. I will follow Alice and her store to her new location and take my other business to Town and Country.

4 people like this
Posted by foodie
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jan 20, 2015 at 8:50 am

Congrats to Anatolian!

17 people like this
Posted by enough!
a resident of Community Center
on Jan 20, 2015 at 2:15 pm

It's almost pointless for the long time business owners to fight to save their businesses as there are schills planted at every meeting to attack and speak over the store owners commentary and/or appeals for reason. Pure greed is driving the downtown train. The very last store I went downtown to patronize is Shady Lane. Now that they are going, I will no longer, after 41 years living in Palo Alto, give one more dollar to any downtown business.

Downtown Palo Alto has been turned into a generic, soulless place for transient residents to see and be seen. The people who run the City could care less, as their green philosophy is based on dollars, not recycling.

19 people like this
Posted by Raquel Rossman
on Jan 20, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I am deeply sad to see Shady Lane leave downtown Palo Alto. I love to go into this little treasure place and find the most unique art.
How is it possible that after 40 years the building will be destroyed and the beautiful boutique move? What is the City thinking of and why the Mayor does not do something about it? This is a historic area of Palo Alto.
Pretty soon there will be no history to remember.

16 people like this
Posted by Shelly
on Jan 24, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I feel very fortunate to have found Shady Lane a few years ago. Alice and her staff are always very welcoming and generous with their individual customer attention. I first visited Shady Lane in search of Troll Beads. There is a great group of collectors that frequent Shady Lane... I hope to see them all at the new location. I wish Shady Lane prosperous success in their new location!!

14 people like this
Posted by Memories
on Jan 24, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Having shopped at Shady Lane my whole life, I don't care where they move. I'm just grateful that they'll stay open, and of course I'll follow them. It'll be a nice opportunity to not deal with the parking and obnoxious homeless. Congratulations to them for landing on their feet and bringing that boho chic vibe to Menlo!

8 people like this
Posted by Memories
on Jan 24, 2015 at 1:42 pm

12 people like this
Posted by shady lane artist
on Jan 31, 2015 at 11:11 am

Shady Lane's University Avenue location has been wonderful for many years. I'm also thankful that Shady Lane has found a great location in the community. I'm looking forward to the changes. Good luck on the move!

14 people like this
Posted by Disappointed
on Feb 1, 2015 at 11:02 am

University's loss is certainly Sharon Heights's gain. I look forward to the ease of driving and parking at Shady Lane's new location. I will continue to rely on them for beautiful gifts, and will visit them as often as I have for the past 28 years.

But, like the eloquent commentors above, I feel a sense of loss--and helplessness--at having our cherished downtown scoured of the uniqueness, artistry, and heart that once drew me there.

14 people like this
Posted by Sandra Farrell
on Feb 4, 2015 at 11:27 am

What a shame to lose Shady Lane, a 40 year old heritage business that promotes locally made, artisan produced jewelry and gifts. It has been a loving presence and is yet another reason to shop elsewhere and avoid the chain stores & restaurants that line University Avenue these days. Plus the parking is much improved at the new location.

9 people like this
Posted by Doris
a resident of Addison School
on Feb 8, 2015 at 3:04 pm

I am in full agreement with most of the comments expressed. It is too bad that progress has been driven by greed. Palo Alto has so much old charm that is being destroyed by greedy developers. The mayor and city council seem useless in controlling this issue.
I am sorry to see Shady Lane leave downtown Palo Alto. However, I think the Menlo Park store location they have found is going to prove to be the perfect location for this treasure we know as Shady Lane. I feel the store design will be perfect for Alice to exert her wonderful talents of merchandising. The parking is so much better than downtown PA, and they will have all the Safeway and Starbuck's traffic. Alice I think this whole move has been a blessing in disguise. Best of luck. I look forward to visiting your new store. Doris P

1 person likes this
Posted by Juke
on Feb 8, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Anatolian Kitchen is excellent! Very flavorful and fresh food, cozy, nice decor, attentive service and fair prices. What not to like? I am glad to see them grow and prosper. I hear they will have a live band soon.

6 people like this
Posted by Juke
on Feb 8, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Shady Lane found a great location for their store. They will keep their loyal followers and find new ones and will prosper for another 40 years. Best Wishes!

6 people like this
Posted by Jtmt
a resident of Green Acres
on Feb 8, 2015 at 10:35 pm

I have left PA for another state. Every time I am in town I ALWAYS stop and shop at Shady Lane. What a great store it is with a wide range of interesting items. Over the holidays I was able to shop talking to Alice and viewing items on line. How is that for good service. I know PA will miss Shady Lane. Fortunately none of us will have far to go.

8 people like this
Posted by Davis
on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:00 am

I have shopped at Shady Lane for over twenty happy years, even though I didn't live in Palo Alto. I have always found just the right item with the help of Alice and her staff. What fun shopping it has been. Well, I can easily train my car to go to Sharon Heights instead, where parking is not a problem. With fortification of Martha's Bakery cinnamon bread, I can truly shop til I drop at Shady Lane.

Cute building will showcase the fun objects inside. I can't wait!

6 people like this
Posted by Krista
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 9, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Shady Lane has been an oasis away from the office for 15 plus years for me. It is always a treat for the eyes and a smile for the soul. Alice and her staff have a unique way of beautifully displaying so many wonderful artisans in many genres. For many years I have found unique gifts for my friends and family in her shop. I will miss her shop in Palo Alto dearly. Unfortunately, times have changed and sadly the focus of Palo Alto has changed as well. So, I will take my business to Shady Lane's new Menlo Park location. Alice, I wish you the best in your new location and thank you for being there for me these past 15 years.

7 people like this
Posted by kim capps
on Feb 9, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Palo Alto has a very unique old town feel and it was Shady Lane one could really feel it. I have been a visitor for many years to this area, I always thought it was special. As my Father was raised here in the 1930s and his parents lived on Cowper steet. His father Albion B. Allen built many of the homes that still stand in PA. I would come here for the old town feel wondering what it must have been like for grandparents I never knew.
So sorry to hear Shady Lane is moving, but I will certainly be following them to their new location. With all the folks writing here in the comments, I believe I can see them doing very well in the new shop.
It is sad the Palo Altos University ave shopping area will be missing the very sweetest shop in the area. Sad that the town council cant see the real beauty of the entire shopping experience. 30 years of the most wonderful jewlery and hand made goods is where I believe University ave could have been tops to include this shop in the new plan.
So a shopping we will go to the new location. Cant wait!

10 people like this
Posted by Alice Deutscher
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 14, 2015 at 11:10 am

Thank you for your gracious comments about Shady Lane. They have touched my heart.

As many of you know, we are moving to Sharon Heights in Menlo Park. When the owner of Fino Fino, retired after 14 years in the center, the management of Sharon Heights waited to find just the right business to occupy the space. They sought a shop that would add vitality to the center and not conflict with the smaller locally owned shops. We're glad they chose us!

With a grateful heart, I invite you to visit us in our charming, standalone, octagonal building next to Starbucks---where the air is fresher, the parking is better, and the flowers and trees are beautiful maintained.

We will open in our new location around March 10. We will keep you posted.

1 person likes this
Posted by Sparty
on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Sparty is a registered user.

"Thanks to these multimillionaires for remaking our town in their own ugly image. And thanks to the Staff enablers for approving these unwelcome neighbors."

Hmmm wasn't it some multimillionaire that pretty much charted the direction for Palo Alto as it is today?

Stanton or Stanley or something.

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 69 comments | 6,344 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 990 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 817 views