A fire that damaged an East Palo Alto home on Monday evening started in a densely cluttered garage, causing an estimated $80,000 in structural damage and $40,000 in losses to the home's belongings, Menlo Park Fire Protection District officials said.
Dispatchers received a call at 6:08 p.m. of a blaze in a single-story home on the 2200 block of Pulgas Avenue. Five engines, two battalion chiefs, and other heavy equipment arrived to find flames coming from the attached garage, Battalion Chief Jim Stevens said.
Firefighters entered the home through the front door and kept the fire from spreading to the dwelling, he said. The home sustained mostly smoke damage, he said.
Fire Chief Harold Schapelhouman said on Tuesday that a man who sustained smoke inhalation was treated by paramedics at the scene. The fire was caused by a improperly vented dryer, he said.