Palo Alto: One-alarm fire originated in oven, damages kitchen

Fire contained within an hour, no injuries

Two people in Palo Alto were able to make it out of a house safely after the oven caught fire Sunday, fire officials said.

Fire crews responded to a one-alarm fire at a single-family home on the 2900 block of Cowper Street in Palo Alto at 3:53 p.m., said Palo Alto Fire Department Battalion Chief Bobby Davis.

Davis said a man and woman escaped before fire crews arrived.

The fire was mostly contained to the oven and parts of the kitchen, but smoke caused damage throughout the house, Davis said.

Fire crews doused the blaze around 4:03 p.m., and Davis said firefighters left the scene roughly 35 to 45 minutes later.

There were no injuries reported, he said.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.


Like this comment
Posted by grandmakk
a resident of Midtown
on Dec 22, 2014 at 10:42 am

We live a block from this home. We are glad everyone is safe.

I have never understood what the term "one (two, three) alarm" means. I thought it had to do with the number of responding vehicles. Yesterday, there were seven vehicles at one time, including Mountain View as well as Palo Alto Fire Department trucks.

Maybe it was just a slow Sunday, and these departments decided to waste a little gasoline to cure their boredom?

Like this comment
Posted by Hermia
a resident of Triple El
on Dec 22, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I don't know this for sure, but I grew up with the understanding that the number of alarms corresponded to the number of times they had to call for more engines, not the number of engines that showed up. Perhaps the firefighters will weigh in with more authoritative information.

3 people like this
Posted by Think Positively
a resident of Esther Clark Park
on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:42 pm

I'm sure firefighters have no problem entertaining themselves on a slow Sunday without responding to alarms for entertainment's sake.

I appreciate the strong response to a residential kitchen fire that could easily have included a gas-fueled fire and threatened multiple homes. I'm glad that it turned out to be a very contained issue, and I appreciate the caution and responsiveness of our firefighters!

Thank you PAFD and MVFD!

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Be the first to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

First Sunnyvale, then Australia: Mountain View's Le Plonc plots expansion
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 2,480 views

Juggling Renewables
By Sherry Listgarten | 36 comments | 1,992 views

Premarital and Couples: Living as Roommates?
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 1,438 views

Homestead Faire at Hidden Villa 4/27
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 802 views

A trial run
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 543 views


Vote now!

It's time once again to cast your vote for the best places to eat, drink, shop and spend time in Palo Alto. Voting is open now through May 27. Watch for the results of our 2019 Best Of contest on Friday, July 19.