Vote count update: Wolbach and Godfrey maintain leads

Candidates remain locked in tight races for Palo Alto council, school board

Updated election results show Palo Alto City Council candidate Cory Wolbach and school board contender Terry Godfrey still maintaining their respective leads against Lydia Kou and Catherine Crystal Foster.

Wolbach, who headed into last Friday morning 38 votes behind Kou, pulled ahead by the end of the day and as of early Wednesday led the race for the fifth place slot by 155 votes, 8,078 to 7,923.

In the tight race for the second position on the Palo Alto school board, Godfrey leads Foster by 199 votes, 9,638 to 9,439.

The election results have been updated daily since the election and include all of the vote-by-mail ballots that were submitted at polling places on Election Day. The registrar had been counting those over the weekend and reported late Sunday, Nov. 9, that the count had been completed.

The registrar's office also plans to count and verify this week the roughly 14,000 provisional ballots that were cast countywide. Official results are scheduled to be certified on Dec. 2.

The county also announced Friday, Nov. 7, that it requested that the Secretary of State conduct a "post-election review" of the election. The request was prompted by public speculation about the registrar's IT manager, whose last day of employment was Nov. 3, the day before the election, according to the announcement from Shannon Bushey, the county's registrar of voters.

"We have been proactively reviewing our processes and systems and are confident that everything is in order," Bushey said in a statement. "But it is not enough for us to be confident, the public needs to know whether this personnel matter has impacted the integrity of the County's election process."

The Secretary of State declined the request for an independent evaluation early this week.

The delays and the high number of votes that remain to be counted means that the suspense in Palo Alto's council and school board races will continue at least for another few days. Godfrey has consistently maintained a razor-thin lead over Foster since Election Day in the race for the second open school board seat. Wolbach and Kou have been switching positions, with Wolbach leading by about 100 votes on Election Night and Kou edging him by more than 30 votes in the days after the election.

Related content:

Palo Alto council: the battle for the fifth seat

Holman, Scharff, DuBois and Filseth secure Palo Alto council seats

Precincts split in votes for top three school board candidates

Dauber elected to Palo Alto school board; second seat too close to call

Editorial: Election results signify an inflection in local politics

Visit the Santa Clara County Registrar of Voters' Office website for more election results.

— Palo Alto Weekly staff

Comments

2 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Nov 7, 2014 at 6:58 pm

How close do the votes have to be to expect a recount?

And since it is reported that SCC have the slowest reports in the state, and the news that the IT manager resigned before the election, should there be more of an outcry about the system? Are other counts taking as long as the various SCC counts that are still outstanding?

I am no advocating electronic voting, but shouldn't there be better methods of verifying signatures and scanning the ballots?

Posted by Democracy in Action
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:34 pm

My grandparents were immigrants so I love going to the polls and voting and wear the "I voted" sticker with pride. They didn't speak English so my grandpa had someone translate for him so he could memorize the answers to be prepared to vote on election day. It's sad that not even half of this "intellectual" city voted (wasn't it less than 1/4?). How come no one cares? Why is everyone so lazy?

Off my soapbox, maybe someone who votes can answer this question. Why are the volunteers at the polls always so extremely clued-out? There's usually only one person who knows what's going on. And why did the French lady bring in her 8-year old daughter who chatted the entire time? Shouldn't the government make voting a pleasant experience to encourage more participation?

6 people like this
Posted by @Democracy in Action
on Nov 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm

In regards to your complaint about poll workers: You are more than welcome to come and volunteer at the polls. Given your high level of engagement in the process, I am sure that your presence would be more than welcome.

Posted by Keep Checking
a resident of Green Acres
on Nov 7, 2014 at 10:37 pm

@Resident,
Keep checking the registrar's website to see if your vote was counted. We dropped ours off at the fire station in Green Acres and put the ballots in the box ourselves, so we know those ballots in Kou's home turf have mostly not been counted. The box was stuffed to the gills.

Wasn't there some controversy over duplicate ballots sent out in this county/election? Any issue here affecting how long it's taking?

3 people like this
Posted by Democracy in Action
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 8, 2014 at 12:13 am

@ @Democracy in Action: You can't be serious. There is no way I could make it more efficient. I can't make people move faster than they are capable of doing. The state of Washington has all mail-in ballots and no polls - perhaps that's more efficient.

Posted by chris
on Nov 8, 2014 at 6:12 am

My and my wife's votes have still not been counted as of Saturday at 6:10AM.

Posted by Alice Smith
a resident of Green Acres
on Nov 8, 2014 at 7:58 am

If voters dropped ballots into city hall in advance your vote would already have been counted and we wouldn't be paying overtime

7 people like this
Posted by Carville
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 7:59 am

I think Terry will ultimately win and I think she would be a far better board member. However she ran a highly anemic campaign and tied herself to Foster, running as a slate. The gamble that they made that they would run ahead of Ken was overconfident and based on a misread of public opinion, and a misconception of public views of the current school board. The public wants accountability. [Portion removed.] Terry is a person of real substance like Ken. Had she run against Foster instead of with her she and we would not be in this position. The stakes are not low. Given recent events having 2 heavyweight advocates for youth would be very important.

Posted by pares
a resident of Green Acres
on Nov 8, 2014 at 8:38 am

Our small neighborhood which is right next to Los Altos had to go past Page Mill Road to get to the polls this time. We are Greenacres I. Greenacres II went to the Arastradero Fire Station which is the one we used to go to. Why we were moved so far away is beyond me but that could also discourage voting. I missed walking to the polls and encountering neighbors on the way. This time I had to drive. Other Barron Park neighborhoods which are actually closer to the Page Mill Road didn't have to go so far.

Posted by Voter
on Nov 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

Agree the city should make voting as easy as possible for voters since many don't vote. Close locations to homes, fast workers. With the internet, it's even easier to find information on the topics and candidates. As Democracy in Action said, people are lazy.

Posted by not yet counted
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Nov 8, 2014 at 2:19 pm

My wife and I dropped off our ballots at Mayfield Sunday morning. They have not yet been counted.

3 people like this
Posted by alice smith
a resident of Green Acres
on Nov 8, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Australia reqyuires voting or pay $100. Oregon. Only vote by mail and free

4 people like this
Posted by SteveU
on Nov 8, 2014 at 4:52 pm

SteveU is a registered user.

call 1-408-299-POLL if you would like to be a Poll worker with a clue to get on the ROV Poll worker list.

Expect verylong hours on election day (7AM-10PM), A pre-election training day, and a night before, setup the Polls.
Surprise, many folk don't want to work that hard.

Posted by Voting 101
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Odd that You think Godfrey and Foster ran as a slate. Godfrey challenged Foster repeatedly about her stance on OCR it the debates.
However the person who deserves most praise for deciding this race is Dalma. Dalma ran her race to perfection, soaking up those second votes from Foster and Godfrey. it was no surprise to see Ken recognize her immediately after the suits came out. Without Dalma, the results would have been different.

Posted by Go Gina!
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Sore loser much? Maybe your candidates just weren't preferred by the electorate. You can't "soak up" the votes of people who want to vote for your candidate. Votes aren't like spilled milk just getting "soaked up." Though you do seem to have some spilled milk around.

Posted by Voting 101
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I voted for Ken!

However, I also recognize what it took to get him elected. Perhaps you should as well and acknowledge Dalma's role.

Posted by Go Gina!
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:23 pm

No one knows who people who voted for Gina would have voted for if Gina was not running. Her votes could just as easily have come from Ken, as people may have wanted to vote for someone who was not Ken in addition to one of the establishment candidates. The assumption that her votes came from Catherine is an assumption. Here's some facts that are not assumptions: Gina Dalma was a good candidate. She drew votes from all three of the leading candidates in some ratio that no one knows. Hopefully she will continue to be a political figure in schools and will run again and win.

It is just pitiful that you are looking for a reason for Catherine's loss (if she ultimately lost) other than the real reason: she didn't appeal to enough people to win.

Posted by Alice Schaffer Smith
a resident of Green Acres
on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Slight corrections: I wrote my emails on the way to see Sandhill Cranes: Australia charges 1000 A Dollars as a fine for not voting.

Also, someone suggests working at the polls but was factually inexact on the effort: the training is 3 hours long, then you set up for an hour on the day before and then you arrive at 6 am to do all the rest of the work: in order to have the polls open at 7. They close promptly at 8 and then the sorting of the ballots into this time A and bc, the counting of the A ballots, the balancing of the total of spoiled, surrendered and cast ballots against the ballots delivered, the counting of all the blue /green and white (people who delivered international ballots = someone from Canada who happened to be here on the day hand delivered her ballot to our precinct (2014). We finished at about 9.45. The pay is de minimis. The value is measurable to the ROV.

I think the costs are high and with 70% vote by mail, think that we should have 100% vote by mail, as they do in Oregon. Granted, OR is a low population center, but free franking should help increase the voting percentage.

Posted by Voting 101
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 8, 2014 at 10:55 pm

@GG, what are you talking about? I've only mentioned Ken and Dalma. Your posts are very confused.

Posted by Democracy in Action
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 8, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Thank you to SteveU and Alice Smith for the information on working at the polls, which was the information I was seeking (not some sarcastic response as above). No wonder they are all senior citizens if it's so much time commitment. I am amazed that they have sat through 3-hours of training, but at least people are donating their time and there is always one person in charge. In 8 years when I'm empty nest, I will volunteer, if it's still possible.

Fines for not voting are a fantastic idea.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 8, 2014 at 11:19 pm

According to the Australian Electoral Commission, the non-voter penalty is $20 -- Web Link

The ridiculous result of compulsary voting is a lot of coin flipping.

There were several items on the recent ballot where I abstained.

If our ballot were under Australian law, you couldn't stop at just four votes for City Council. You'd be required to vote for five or pay the fine.

Posted by Parent and Resident
a resident of Gunn High School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 12:17 am

As of Saturday morning, all of our vote-by-mail ballots had been received in a timely manner (confirmed by a call to the registrar's office), but some of the ballots still had yet to be counted. The count is proceeding, but I'm sure they would rather be accurate than speedy. I'd suggest a bit of patience is warranted here.

I can guarantee that every eligible member of our family did vote in this election - both parents and 18+ age children whose primary residence is still Palo Alto. We all vote in every election, no matter how large or small, and we definitely research the topics and candidates first. The only thing I can't guarantee, of course, is how many of our family's votes may possibly agree with each other - we are all our own individual people, and make our own choices. :)

"Democracy in action" mentioned "Maybe PAUSD can teach our children the significance of voting by having them research some of the CA issues and candidates and have a mock ballot?"

Actually, that has been done frequently here in our experience - when our children were in Palo Alto Elementary and Middle Schools, they would tell us about the on the results of their classroom mock elections (based on the real election topics and candidates, after the students researched the material.) Are these no longer occurring?

Posted by Democracy in Action
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 12:27 am

@Parent and Resident: No, mock elections are not occurring in PAUSD across the board. I have an elementary school student, middle school student, Paly student, and one in college and none of the teachers (even in government class) have ever had the children study election candidates or issues. It would be a great way to get parents involved! My elementary school student comes home and nags me about green issues he learned in school.

3 people like this
Posted by Democracy in Action
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 12:29 am

How about a property tax break for those who vote?

Posted by Resident
on Nov 9, 2014 at 7:45 am

My kids have done mock elections for President in PAUSD but for no other issues. In my experience, kids voted for who their parents favored, at least in the younger grades.

Posted by Chris
on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:06 am

My and my wife's votes have still not been counted as of Sunday at 10:05 AM. I hope all of Barron Park votes are counted soon. I dropped off both mail-in ballots at the Fire Station on Charleston.

Posted by @Democracy in Action
a resident of Mountain View
on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:12 am

[Portion removed.]

Posted by Democracy in Action
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 12:02 pm

@ @Democracy in Action: I find it interesting that people from other communities love to come to the Palo Alto Town Forum and post snide remarks bashing the wealth of Palo Alto. Maybe I am spoiled - I'm a stay-at-home mom by choice. Life is good.

Posted by C
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm

When I was at Jordan they had us do a mock election for the 2008 presidential candidacy. For all those wondering, Obama won. I don't think, however, that any of PAUSD's schools do mock elections for positions in the house or senate. At most history/political science classes ask "Who knows our representative?" As far as studying election issues, that's done in sophomore year history (US government).

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 9, 2014 at 1:12 pm

@C -- "Who knows our representative?"

Out of my own curiosity, does anyone in these classes know the answer? In my day they didn't.

Posted by Paly Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 1:45 pm

@C: That was LaSalla's class and he no longer teaches at Jordan. U.S. Government classes may teach about elections but don't teach the current issues related to politics now, such as what's on the ballot (my child was in your grade and I have a child in government class now).

Posted by @Democracy in Action
a resident of Mountain View
on Nov 9, 2014 at 3:00 pm

So what about your proposal, then? It would benefit homeowners at the expense of renters.

Please tell me what that is meant to accomplish, other than to create a system of haves and have nots.

And besides, if you have to be bribed to perform your civic duty, your priorities are completely out of whack.

2 people like this
Posted by didn't vote for PAUSD
a resident of Stanford
on Nov 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I left the PAUSD portion of my ballot blank, and here's why, and I don't think I'm alone on this....

I don't have a kid at PAUSD, but I've tried to keep informed. I'm never able to get a clear answer from anyone about what's really going on, and the news outlets don't help. Some say the atmosphere is toxic, others say PAUSD is the most amazing district in the nation. I read all the literature and asked neighbors and colleagues with kids in the schools and the views were so extreme (on both sides) it felt like they weren't even talking about the same District. In the end I found it was impossible to figure out, so I decided to leave it to the families who have kids there.

It's not that I don't care, but how can I vote for a candidate who wants to change something, or keep something the same when I can't find out what the something really is? How can a District have so many huge problems and, but still be so amazing? How can every family be lovely and every family be crazy? To me, PAUSD feels like a giant black box filled with oxymorons.... and some just plain morons.... and some amazing people who want to give kids a wonderful education. But, unless you have a kid there, and/or you have time to watch every single PAUSD board meeting and read through every document available, it's impossible to figure out who's who and what's what.

....and so I left it blank.

9 people like this
Posted by Wim
on Nov 9, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I have lived in PA for 14 years, but this last election was the first I paid closer attention to local politics (I did vote in every prior election though). I moved with my family to PA because of the dynamic, vibrant city it is and for the many opportunities and great creativity that permeates society. I have enjoyed every minute living here and was never sorry we moved. For that I would like to thank those that made the city what it now is, namely all prior city council members and mayors.

From reading many editorials, blogs, and posts I came under the impression that PASZ was formed out of anger and frustration. For those that know their history, these sentiments are rarely a solid foundation from which to govern. It also came as a surprise to me. If PA is governed as bad as it is made out to be, why are so many people clamoring to find a place to live here? We came here because of the growth and excitement. Why tame this? PA is known to be one of the leaders in city government, in looking at the future, and in finding creative solutions to the many problems facing the city. As far as I can see these problems such as a lack of housing and transportation) are all of a positive nature. (We lived in a slow growth mid-western town for 10 years and the problems they face are substantially worse)

Some posters have ridiculed Cory’s guiding principle of civility as having a lack of platform. If history is any guidance, civility is necessary to make progress and accomplish things. Look at Reagan and Tip O’Neal, or at Clinton and Gingrich. Although strong opponents, there was sufficient civility to work together and to make great progress. In the current federal stand-off, a lack of civility combined with a strongly expressed dogmatic platform creates an environment where nothing gets accomplished. For me, competence and civility trumps enthusiasm and frustration any time.

Finally on civility: In the last week before the election we placed election signs for AC Johnston on a lot at the corner of Embarcadero and Bryant with the permission of the owner. The neighbors had a sign for Holman. Within a week, five (5) signs for AC were pulled out and destroyed, we kept on replacing them. In the meantime, nobody touched the sign for Holman. It does go with the sentiment of anger and frustration, but does not fit the spirit and the intelligence that I know belongs to PA. Let’s please keep PA civil.

Posted by Democracy in Action
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 4:59 pm

@ @Democracy in Action: It's good that we're in agreement that people shouldn't have to be bribed to vote and that their "priorities are completely out of whack."

Fines for not voting are more fair than a property tax break, so we agree there too.

@Didn't vote for PAUSD. We need School Board members who address student stress (Dauber, Godfrey) This latest suicide should not have occurred. The last superintendent and most of BoE are Ivy League graduates, many with children who are attending Ivy Leagues so they didn't address student stress, even after the 5 suicides in 2009. PAUSD has a lot of smart kids so many of the teachers assume they can handle more than students in other school districts so they adjust their curriculum to the aptitude of our children. The "10 minutes of homework for every grade level" does not apply to PAUSD. They are already working 120 minutes in middle school. And for each AP class, add 30-60 minutes of work. I know of at least 3 train suicides of PAUSD students which cited sleep deprivation as a factor.

Posted by Barron Park Dad
on Nov 9, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Barron Park Dad is a registered user.

Is anyone working at the Weekly tonight? The Santa Clara County website shows Terry Godfrey with a 188 vote lead after the Sunday 5pm update. They were supposed to finish counting today. Is it over, did Terry win?

Web Link

3 people like this
Posted by Resident 2
a resident of Barron Park School
on Nov 9, 2014 at 7:42 pm

The reason why I did not vote for Lydia Kou is not that she is a woman,not that she is asian,it is the simple fact that she is real estate agent.

9 people like this
Posted by Cory Wolbach
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Cory Wolbach is a registered user.

I hope that people will not dismiss someone's love of and dedication to community merely on the basis of their profession. Every candidate in this year's City Council race loves Palo Alto. We poured our hearts into the campaign. All of us.

Posted by Brian
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I believe the current version of the PA Online story is wrong. The registrar announced that they have completed counting the vote-by-mail ballots as of 8 pm tonight, and the only remaining ballots are 14,000 provisional ballots (county-wide). It seems unlikely there will be enough of the provisionals that are both valid and applicable to Palo Alto to change the current results.

Posted by Resident 2
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:59 pm

[Post removed.]

3 people like this
Posted by Wenders
on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I found it difficult to justify someone who claims to be against HSR, etc....but works for someone who supports HSR, etc.

I found it difficult to vote for someone who says one thing, yet does another. Actions speak louder than words.

I could never vote for someone who continues to work for Jerry Hill, in spite of all his campaign claims.

I could never put my faith or trust in such a person.

So I voted for Lydia Kou!

Posted by Mark Weiss
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 9, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Mark Weiss is a registered user.

In the print edition of The Palo Alto Weekly it said, referring to me and three other candidates, including Wayne Douglass, a Phd in English, John Fredrich, who taught our kids for 20 years at Gunn, including Cory, and Sea Reddy, a tech professional arguably with more experience and success in that field than Dubois or Filseth, plus an international perspective being from India "no other candidate received 1,500 votes".

Actually the County now says I received 2,000 votes, and counting. I would argue that the 2,000 who voted for me likely will make more impact in civic engagement, with or without my continued leadership or example, than the 8,000 or so who voted with the "slate."

And by the way, I am a former journalist, advertising copywriter, ad agency partner, concert promoter, artist manager and blogger, and not merely a "three-time candidate". I won the Student Council Award at Terman, was editor in chief of the Oracle -- for two years -- at Gunn, was a Nelson Rockefeller Center Fellow in Public Policy at Dartmouth; I've been working on social change here since 1994, as Earthwise Productions and am not merely running to "give back".

Why does the Weekly consistently misrepresent me, malign me and dismiss me? Two thousand votes, without accepting contributions, joining a slate or buying time and space, is more of a mandate than most of the to-be-seated candidates can claim.

Actually do tell: who said, let's run them as a slate?

Posted by Sea Reddy
a resident of College Terrace
on Nov 10, 2014 at 1:18 am

Thanks Mark.

It is unwise to exclude the 'four' candidates that have not taken a 'penny', 'nickel' or 'dollar' from potential voters in your graphics and analysis in the weekend edition. Please include in the next day's edition. We also want to know how many people voted for us by area/precent.

I have a lot of respect for Gennady and Bill. I know you are under the gun to get the data out; but you have ABSOLUTELY no reason to exclude the remaining four. What have they done wrong?

It is a 'cheap shot' to eliminate us in vote count analysis data in the weekend paper. It is also a cheap shot for your blogger to say 'we should put lawn signs'. You are wasting money. It is 2014; Get it right. There are other ways to communicate. Rather than wasting money I gave $1000 to the CDC foundation to work on cure for Ebola.

Please get it right. Include all the candidates until all the results are out.

It is a small town; the word gets around. And remember we do need to get along and not have a bitter feeling. We are promoting democracy. we are not promoting classified advertising.

Let us reconcile. Be nice to each other.

You should have asked us if you are labeling us with certain idiotic names 'agitator' 'engineer' etc.,

Mark is not an agitator.

Let us innovate; not divide community.

Palo Alto is a beautiful town with smart people.

Live up to its potential.

No trash journalism is needed and we are not in London for tabloid journalism or headlines.

If you want to give a rebuttal please do. Let the citizens of Palo Alto speak out.

I am concerned. May be I am wrong and you are right?

Respectfully

Posted by Mark Weiss
on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:20 am

I actually have a post on my own blog Plastic Alto called "Damn Right I'm Nobody" which is actually a reference to J.D. Salinger's conversion to Vedantic Philosophy according to Shields and Salerno, but even so 2,000 votes is not chicken scratch.

Thanks, Sea for defending me.

I also have a post referencing the Christian athlete Gale Sayers called "I Am So Third".

Another guy, a fairly prominent Palo Altan, activist and named endorser of successful candidate or candidates told me, and he can say this, "You are not so much a Council Candidate as a Rabbi".

"Agitator" is a cheap shot or worse.

Posted by teacher
on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:36 am

[Post removed.]

3 people like this
Posted by Hooray for Holman
a resident of Southgate
on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:42 am

The big news is Karen Holman's sweep! Biggest vote getter of all!
Despite the disrespect of a few of her wealthy colleagues, the residents of Palo Alto recognize quality and integrity.
No double talk, and in-depth knowledge came through to so many of us.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:57 am

The candidate ordering on my ballot was Holman, Shepherd, Scharff, Reddy, Johnston, Douglass, Dubois, Wolbach, Weiss, Fredrich, Filseth, Kou. Does this have any effect on results?

Posted by Ballot Ordering
a resident of Stanford
on Nov 10, 2014 at 12:14 pm

The order of candidate names on the ballot does have an impact on voting.

In California, the letters are (randomly?) chosen each election to create a new statewide alphabetic order each election. That alphabetic order is used to determine candidate name order on all the ballots in the state for that election.

Unless the political connections of our local candidates'supporters somehow influenced the selection of the statewide alphabetic ordering, the ballot name ordering was based on chance.

Posted by Paly mom
on Nov 10, 2014 at 1:53 pm

What impresses me is that Foster did so well, despite all the negative campaigning against her and that bizarrely harsh editorial in the Weekly. She probably won't win in the end, but she's got a lot of support that the Dauber campaign couldn't take away.

Posted by anniesbiped
on Nov 10, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Even Palo Alto, a city with a highly educated population, failed to have over a 37% voter turnout. This is, frankly, despicable! There is NO excuse for not voting! Even abstaining from certain parts of the election because of lack of information is inexcusable. The League of Women Voters puts out information on LOCAL elections. Details of the candidates and ballot issues can be found at www.smartvoter.org. The information is impartial.
Oregon's voter turnout was 70%, but Washington, also a vote by mail state, was lower than 40%.
As we celebrate Veteran's Day tomorrow, reflect upon the lives lost in the name of freedom. Voting honors their sacrifice.

Posted by Hooray for Holman
a resident of Southgate
on Nov 10, 2014 at 3:08 pm

The order on the ballot may have a tiny effect. Not the huge margin Holman has earned.

She has been in the public eye for many years, people know exactly what she is, a knowledgeable advocate for honesty and transparency in government and a person who believes that residents should not be ignored when the big money interests push us around. And we weren't fooled by the phony dishonest smear her opponents tried.

4 people like this
Posted by not a tea party
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 10, 2014 at 3:35 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Midtown
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Good thing we are not Florida. No no wait!

Posted by Crescent Park Dad
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Despicable: deserving hatred and contempt. Really?

Posted by Adobe MEADOW mom
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 10, 2014 at 6:54 pm

(I picked Adobe Meadows but there is only one Meadow out here. I wish the Weekly would correct that).

I was surprised to see the comment about negative campaigning directed at Catherine Foster. Except for the Weekly's editorial endorsement criticizing her civil rights position, which I pretty much agreed with, I didn't see it. I wouldn't call the editorial "bizarre". I didn't really see negative campaigning directed at Dauber either, except that I heard that the Post was pretty nasty. That's not any campaign's fault though. Godfrey seems to have glided right through it all.

Foster had a bunch of big name endorsements including Anna Eshoo and Joe Simitian. Godfrey also had Simitian, I don't know about Eshoo. I am a little surprised that Godfrey didn't do better, since she had those endorsements plus the Weekly and Dauber didn't have the big endorsements, but still came out ahead by a good margin.

Posted by Adobe MEADOW Mom
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Nov 10, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Plus the hypen that I just noticed. What is that about? What if I called it the Palo Alto-Weekly?

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,380 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 345 views