Ramping up at Mitchell Park Library in Palo Alto

City offers preview in advance of November 'soft' opening

The City of Palo Alto took local media on a guided tour Thursday of the new 56,332-square-foot Mitchell Park Library and Community Center, a project whose opening has been anticipated for two-and-a-half years.

Funded by 2008's Measure M, the library at 3700 Middlefield Road is four times larger than its predecessor and has a collection nearly twice its previous size. It includes children's and teen's areas, a computer training room, private group study rooms, outdoor terraces and flexible classrooms.

The rebuilt community center includes a multi-purpose event room with kitchen that can comfortably accommodate 300 guests; space for dance, exercise and other classes; a game room; a half-court basketball area; and a public café.

The facility will open in November, and a grand opening is scheduled for Dec. 6.

TAKE A TOUR ONLINE

A video tour of the new library and community center.

— Palo Alto Weekly staff

Comments

Posted by Anonymous
on Oct 25, 2014 at 10:55 am

Will this library have longer hours? More books and media?

4 people like this
Posted by boscoli
on Oct 25, 2014 at 11:01 am

Once Mitchell and Main are reopened, they need to be open every weekday 10-9 and keep their current weekend hours. No more weekdays days in which they are closed or open only at noo . We didn't approve the library measure to have either of the two main branches operating at less than full capacity, seven days a week.

Posted by Reader
on Oct 25, 2014 at 11:10 am

I saw the video of the tour of the new facility.
I saw a childcare center, didn't see even one book.

Posted by Dave
on Oct 25, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Nice, but the only time I'll use it is for the restroom, when I'm at the park jogging.

1 person likes this
Posted by I use Los Altos and pay for both
on Oct 26, 2014 at 12:23 am

@ reader,

If we're all lucky, they'll get new books, or at least vacuum off the old ones real well. That library in Cubberly was so allergenic, I could hardly go in there. The new library at Los Altos (not that new anymore, but) has never been a problem.

I don't understand why we don't join the Santa Clara County system. Our not having enough books has been a perpetual problem. Or, it's the excuse for unfriendly lending policies (the fine money goes into the general fund rather than to support the libraries, I wonder why). When I've asked why we don't have friendlier lending policies like Los Altos, I'm told it's because we don't have as many books as Los Altos. Then again, when I asked why they couldn't send out notices of overdue books before they were overdue (as opposed to two weeks afterwards), I was told it was impossible because of the software. (The fact that they send out notices before the books are due, rather than two weeks afterwards as they used to do way back when, is that I knew better and was willing to argue that one with Paula Simpson until they changed it.)

Given all the problems with the contractor, maybe we should wait to be sure there's not moisture intrusion problems before we fill it with books...

1 person likes this
Posted by Resident
on Oct 26, 2014 at 8:24 am

I am just looking forward to the library functioning again. Every time I search for a book on the catalog the system tells me that it is unable to put a hold on this book at this time. Main Library and Mitchell Park are both not functioning and it seems that the other two libraries don't have any books at all according to the catalog.

I know we were given the opportunity to check out 100 books beforehand, but they didn't tell us that it was because there wouldn't be a functioning library available for several weeks.

1 person likes this
Posted by The Shadow Knows.....
on Oct 26, 2014 at 10:00 am

Yawn............. Have they put a bow on this over priced pig yet?

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 37 comments | 1,376 views

Global Warming Diet

Couples: "Taming Your Gremlin" by Richard Carson

Preparing for kindergarten
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 581 views

Pre-registration ends tomorrow!

​On Friday, September 21, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run, or—for the first time—half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More