iPhone 6 debut draws large crowd to Palo Alto store

The new Apple iPhone 6 and 6 Plus went on sale across the country on Friday, Sept. 19.

Hundreds of people braved long lines that wrapped for blocks outside Apple stores across the Bay Area including the Palo Alto location where Apple fans camped in front of the night before the release. Some fans set up camp days in advance to be among the first few to purchase the new and large-screen smartphones.

The excitement level was amped up when customers waiting in Palo Alto were greeted by Apple CEO Tim Cook, who stopped to talk to customers and pose for selfies.

Cook took to Twitter to tweet a photo with the caption, "Thanks to all the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus owners around the world! Had a great visit to our Palo Alto stores."

To view a social media collection of the iPhone 6 release, visit the Palo Alto Weekly's Storify.

Comments

3 people like this
Posted by Traffic?
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Sep 20, 2014 at 7:08 pm

This event turned into a media circus. I just ask where all the media, Tim Cook, and all those standing in line for a couple of days parked? Perhaps they all came on bikes or Caltrain? Did any of the live tv trucks get street parking for more than 2 hours? Were any extra parking tickets issued on this day?

I have nothing against any of this, but I do ask if this is something we should put into our traffic management plan?

3 people like this
Posted by Rupert of henzau
on Sep 20, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I wonder how much I love n tax revenues Palo Alto,took from the stanford and downtown Apple stores? But if they caused even a single extra car trip into the city, it was not worth it.

4 people like this
Posted by Memories
on Sep 20, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Too bad that all the sheeple waiting in line couldn't be bothered to let pedestrians walk by without fighting to get through the crowd. How come the cops weren't there to break up them blocking the sidewalk?

2 people like this
Posted by Deep Throat
on Sep 21, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Were any of them sitting or lying on the sidewalk? What if Victor Frost did that?

4 people like this
Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 21, 2014 at 11:41 pm

I think Apple under ships to their stores on purpose to draw out the period of the rollout of new products for PR purposes. Why advertise when you can have people do it for you by waiting in line outside in public? I think this kind of treatment of their customers is eventually going to tire people of Apple and will backfire. If I waited in line all night only not to get a phone I'd feel like a dupe, not like a member of a special elite.

Posted by Sparty
on Sep 23, 2014 at 9:57 am

Sparty is a registered user.

"I think Apple under ships to their stores on purpose to draw out the period of the rollout of new products for PR purposes."

what else would they sell at their stores? Samsung products?

1 person likes this
Posted by Iphone too big
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:57 am

The new iphones are too big...it seems we are moving backwards in telephony

1 person likes this
Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:40 am

Sparty, you seem to have missed my point. Apple distributes, dribbles out a few iPhones to each store to extent the period of people having to wait in long lines.

I got caught up in this about 2 years when I kept returning to get an iPhone that Apple staff told me would show up the next day. Invariably I would come the next day, wait in line outside the Apple Store for all to see ... notice that it all takes place OUTSIDE where everyone can see, and there was no phone that I wanted.

People seem to reflexively pop off with a lot of sarcasm when they are not even sure what has been said. It would be nice to avoid that.

As an Apple customer I don't like having my time wasted and me disrespected like that. Amazon never does anything analogous to me like that ... they, and others seem to be "nicer" to their customers and try to service their needs as opposed to making a big deal about a company can force its customers to dance to its tune. Who knows, maybe Apple picked that up from Microsoft.

Posted by Sparty
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:47 am

Sparty is a registered user.

No one has to wait in line. For the iphone, the new Jordans, that burrito place in SF, food trucks, Hobees, Cooking Papa (mt view) the new Star Wars movie, gelato, or ipads. But they do.

It's not apple's fault people have nothing better to do. no more than it is their fault that people see "innovation" in what was out on other platforms 2,3 years ago.

Perhaps we have missed where there are stores that allow you to wait inside for several days when a new product comes out.

1 person likes this
Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Sparty, no one has to wait in line?
Is that the best you can come up with Sparty?

By the logic no one has to eat and breathe either.
If we need things in this suburban life we NEED to wait in line.

Most companies do their best to reduce the wait time for their products, but
Apple exploits their customer's discomfort they deal out to their loyal customers
to their marketing advantage when we all know they have the technology and
can very easily make it easy for people to order and be notified to pick up their
iPhones.

Got anything else ... I need another chuckle.

Posted by Mr.Recycle
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:36 pm

@CrescentParkAnon - Apple sells the iphone online. No one has to wait in line unless they want to. All the major phone carriers also sell it online.

2 people like this
Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:44 pm

MR, when you order online you will wait and wait and wait for your phone to be delivered - it takes a famously long time. That is why people "need" to wait in line. You know, instead of coming up with these kind of disingenuous arguments to support what Apple is doing to their customers every time they roll out a phone, you guys should just that you think it's OK, it doesn't bother you and you like Apple for doing that.

When a company has so much hype that is almosts exists on hype when and if the day comes that there is no more hype left, it's gonna look really bad.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:46 pm

"Amazon never does anything analogous..." -- What does Amazon design or manufacture?

@CPA, I understand your point. But it makes sense to me that Apple begins selling product when they have 10 million queued up. Yes, that amount didn't last the weekend, but where would they store 20 million of them and why would they want to tie up inventory on the shelf while waiting for enough for everybody?

I've gone downtown to see the lines for entertainment value and the social-event atmosphere, but I've never waited in line. Generally I order on-line, often back-ordered, but always statused on expected delivery date and progress, amazed to have an iPad get to my door from Shanghai in 36 hours. And their in-store service impressed me when I dropped in once with a vague question about settings on an AirPort I was struggling with to set up home wi-fi. The random Apple guy nailed it off the top of his head after 30 seconds of me describing the symptoms. Now I know about bridge-mode.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm

> What does Amazon design or manufacture?

Are you kidding? You do not know? The many Kindles, Kindle Fires, the new Amazon Fire phone, and a new Amazon Fire TV.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Yeah sorry, Kindle dawned on me just after I posted. Had to look it up on Wikipedia.

"Amazon released the Kindle, the first generation Kindle device on November 19, 2007, for US$399. It sold out in five and a half hours. The device remained out of stock for five months."

2 people like this
Posted by Latest shiny object
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Sep 23, 2014 at 1:20 pm

It's nice to know there are so many people with nothing more important to do than stand in long lines to spend big money on the latest shiny object.

Posted by Resident
on Sep 24, 2014 at 3:08 am

[Post removed.]

1 person likes this
Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 24, 2014 at 12:21 pm

musical, not just the Kindle.

Also, when something from Amazon is out of stock, there are no lines, and it is out of their control. You seemed to imply that there was some equivalency in behavior between Amazon and Apple on this. Guess I don't see it. Apple has done this for decades, which is probably why they continue the tradition, but the truth is, it is not fun to stand in line or wait for something Apple says is available now, but Apple can generate some marketing buzz based on customer public discomfort.

Also, Amazon makes much more than the Kindle reader now, they make tablets, phones, TV set top boxes.

I've been a longtime customer of Apple because of their pushing together of GPS, phone, video, mp3 player, etc ... and having it work so well with Apple's OS ... but that is less and less the case. Apple seems to hold back on fixes to ensure people are trapped into their products.

My next phone is going to be an Amazon. Hopefully by that time Amazon will make a larger phone like the 6Plus, but I can wait. I like a lot of the features they have, and the feature that they are not Apple.

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Post-election reflections -- and sponges
By Diana Diamond | 13 comments | 1,685 views

Couples: Philosophy of Love

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 929 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 248 views