Wrong-way driver involved in fatal, early-morning crash

Portions of Interstate Highway 280 nearly Los Altos Hills closed for hours for clean-up

UPDATE: The man killed in the accident has been identified as Brian Devoto, 23, of Santa Clara, according to the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner's Office.==

One man was killed after a wrong-way driver headed north on southbound Interstate Highway 280 early this morning near Los Altos Hills, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The male driver of a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze was killed; the female driver of a 2011 white Nissan Sentra suffered life-threatening injuries, Officer Art Montiel said. It was not immediately clear which car was headed the wrong direction. There were no passengers in either vehicle.

Emergency responders needed to extricate the two drivers. Both were transported by Palo Alto and Santa Clara County paramedic units to Stanford Hospital, where the man, in his 20s, died in the emergency room. The woman is in critical condition, Montiel said.

The wrong-way driver was first reported to authorities at 12:52 a.m. near the Page Mill Road off ramp, CHP officials said.

All lanes were closed at 1:30 a.m. in order to clean up debris from the collision, according to the CHP. Traffic was diverted off the highway at Alpine Road, with parts of the roadway reopened shortly after 2 a.m.

All lanes were reopened at 4 a.m., according to the CHP.

An extensive investigation of the crash is underway, Montiel said.

— Palo Alto Weekly staff and Bay City News

Comments

1 person likes this
Posted by Palo Alto resident
on Sep 11, 2014 at 11:05 am

A shame. These types of accidents often occur in the early morning hours.

3 people like this
Posted by John Thomas-Whitcomb McCoy
on Sep 11, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Texting? Eating? Imbibing alcohol?..because since 280 opened in the seventies it has been so confusing to drive. On ramps, off ramps, Northbound, Southbound, my oh my.

2 people like this
Posted by David
on Sep 11, 2014 at 2:50 pm

There is nothing confusing about 280 unless the driver is drunk (which of course is not to say that was the cause of this accident).

Posted by helene
on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:02 pm

How sad for everyone. But let us not forget that there are huge distractions on the dashboard of cars these days.
The screens are way too big, perhaps this may be the cause. The driver was Distracted.

1 person likes this
Posted by Sea-Seelam Reddy
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:11 pm

So Sorry for the loss of human life.

My Prayers.

Respectfully

2 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:13 pm

The article doesn't say where the wrong-way driver got on to the freeway, but I find it hard to believe that just being distracted caused this. At 1 am, another common reason for dangerous driving is much more likely.

1 person likes this
Posted by Mr.Recycle
on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:14 pm

@Helene - The SFgate report says the first phone report of the wrong way driver was at 12:52:am, and the accident was at 12:56. So it is probably safe to assume they were driving for at least a minute, the wrong way on a highway. That isn't distracted driving, that is deeply impaired driving.

Posted by Hills
a resident of Ventura
on Sep 11, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Navigation Systems ??

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 11, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I am so sorry and my strongest condolences for anyone going about their daily business and runs into - or gets run into rather, by someone who cannot figure out how to get onto 280 or once they are on the freeway and obviously going the wrong way does not pull to the side and at the very least get out of the way. This is so sad.

While I have caught myself going the wrong way on a one-way street, I have never had a problem getting off or on the freeway. Most places where there is any ambiguity have a big sign that says WRONG WAY.

After all these years in Palo Alto, one morning very early about a year ago I was coming home to Crescent Park from Alma and took a wrong turn down Homer thinking it was Channing. Don't know how I did that, I still wonder about that, but I caught it quickly, pulled to the side and turned around. I was mortified and really embarrassed, but no one was there or saw me thank goodness. The big clue is traffic, but there was no traffic, that is when one might have a problem.

I hope the investigators can determine what happened, and if there is a deficiency in the on or off ramp markings, correct it.

1 person likes this
Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Sep 11, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Mr. Recycle is right ... if someone is on the freeway for that length of time, has been reported by other drivers they are there on purpose, completely blotto, or perhaps severely medically impaired. It's not a distraction and not a fully conscious rational driver behind the wheel.

Posted by JoAnn
a resident of Ventura
on Sep 12, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Impaired? Probably, but you have to at least consider suicide.

1 person likes this
Posted by Marcy
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Sep 13, 2014 at 6:26 pm

My daughter was childhood friends with Brian here in NY where many young adults and families are heartbroken. What I can't understand is this: they say that calls came in to the police about the car driving the wrong way on 280. Didn't the police ask for a description of the vehicle? Those 2 cars are not similar - doesn't that tell anybody something?

My prayers go out to Krisha Caraballos and her family.
Mount Kisco, NY mourns a bright young man.

Posted by Lisa breslin
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Sep 18, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Who was responsible for this deadly accident?
Now 2 young adults are dead and there is no clarification of what happened

1 person likes this
Posted by Marcy
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Sep 18, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Omg I did not know the young girl died after being in the hospital! There is nothing about that on Google - are you sure? How awful for everyone. I bet we never find out now...

Posted by member
a resident of Southgate
on Sep 19, 2014 at 8:48 am

yes, marcy, sadly, she passed yesterday. krisha is the daughter of my sis' best friend.

1 person likes this
Posted by Marcy
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Sep 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Oh, I am so very sorry for your and the family's loss. This whole thing is such a horrible tragedy. My daughter attended Brian's wake up in Mount Kisco this past week and is so shook up she can't even talk about it. Please give my condolences to Krisha's family from a stranger who cares :(

Posted by member
on Nov 14, 2014 at 5:00 pm

i knew Brian Devoto. It broke my heart when I heard about it. I remember him being so nice and awesome.(as always lol) All of my condolences out to his family and girlfriend

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Post-election reflections -- and sponges