Morris helps Stanford men to Pac-12 soccer draw


Jordan Morris recorded a go-ahead goal and assisted on two others but the Stanford men's soccer ended its weekend trip to Southern California with a point Sunday, playing San Diego State to a wild 3-3 Pac-12 Conference draw on Sunday.

The Cardinal (6-3-2, 1-2-1 Pac-12) held leads of 2-0 and 3-2 in the match but the Aztecs (3-6-1, 0-2-1 Pac-12) were able to equalize each time, the final goal coming in the 84th minute. After regulation ended at 3-3, the teams played 20 minutes of scoreless extra time.

"We started the game well and had a great first half showing, but they managed to claw their way back into the game," said Stanford head coach Jeremy Gunn. "We needed to make our 3-2 lead stick and we didn't. It's a draw on the road which is not a bad result, but considering how we started the game we wanted to get all three points."

Stanford has a week to prepare for its conference match at top-ranked California next Sunday, a 2:30 p.m. start on the Pac-12 Networks.

In addition to Morris, Aaron Kovar and Eric Verso also scored, giving Stanford its most productive offensive game of the year.

"We did some good stuff, we played well and did enough to put ourselves in a winning position. We just feel that we let one slip today," Gunn said.

Zach Batteer nearly scored twice early in the contest, missing in the second minute, and firing high five minutes later.

The first half belonged to the Cardinal, with Kovar scoring in the 24th minute for the early lead. He took a pass from Morris along the left flank and, using his left foot, rifled it past Aztec goalkeeper Blake Hylen for his first goal of the season.

Stanford continued to push the attack and doubled its lead four minutes later. Morris began the sequence by playing through to Batteer, who served up a close-range shot for Verso to make it 2-0.

San Diego State scored three times in the second half, tying the game in the 70th minute.

In the 84th minute, the Cardinal regained the lead when a SDSU foul led to a Ty Thompson free kick that found Morris for the header and the freshman's fourth goal of the season.

The Aztecs answered 44 seconds later to record the equalizer and send the match into overtime.

"We had some great attacking play and I felt that when we were going after San Diego State we were at our best," Gunn said. "In the second half we played too tentative and we needed to keep doing what we were doing to continue the game."

— Stanford Athletics


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Coffeebar opens in Menlo Park
By Elena Kadvany | 2 comments | 4,996 views

Solo in Spain
By Laura Stec | 3 comments | 1,986 views

Spring College Fairs
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 727 views

Couples: So You Married Mom or Dad . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 701 views

Stanford's Assistive Technology Class Open to All Starts 1/9/2018
By Max Greenberg | 0 comments | 543 views