Welch Road to become one-way, one-lane road

Two-year road change part of massive Stanford University Medical Center Renewal Project

Welch Road in Palo Alto is being converted to a one-way, one-lane road between Quarry Road and Pasteur Drive beginning Tuesday evening (Oct. 18). The change is being made due to the massive Stanford University Medical Center Renewal Project and will be in effect for two years, according to a press release.

Crews placed plastic traffic delineators on Welch at 6 p.m. "in order to begin the traffic patterns change," the release states. The road change was fully implemented Wednesday (Oct. 19), and concrete barriers will replace the plastic delineators on Nov. 7.

Construction work along Welch will include widening of the road, planting of new trees, replacement of utility services, and installation of planted medians and street lighting.

"The Welch Road Utility Improvement Project is a major milestone for our plans to increase our capacity to care for children and expectant mothers," Christy Sandborg, chief of staff at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, stated in a release.

"The changes to Welch Road lay the groundwork for our upcoming expansion, and mark another big step in providing our community with a more modern, family-centered, and environmentally sustainable hospital environment for our patients," she wrote.

For more information about the project, visit stanfordpackard.org.

Related story:

Palo Alto approves Stanford Hospital expansion

— Palo Alto Online staff

Comments

Posted by Progress
on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

Oh NO! This will affect my ability to drive a car wherever I want! I have a Mercedes! Don't you know I'm entitled!?!?!

Posted by Steve C
a resident of Menlo Park
on Oct 19, 2011 at 10:56 am

Progress, you do know that in this zip code you are just average, right?

Posted by Mystified
a resident of Mountain View
on Oct 19, 2011 at 11:20 am

How do you get out? Do you have to go all the way out to Quarry, then back to Sand Hill and all the way back around? And, now some of the parking lots only have 1 entrance & exit? That isn't safe in an emergency.
The maps are incredibly un-helpful - the point of having a large & small map is to show detail on one and overview on the other. These two are exactly the same. What is the rest of the traffic plan?
Makes me glad I gave up on the campus bloodbank and now donate on Hanson.

Posted by bike rider
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm

As a bike rider they have closed Welch rd down and the lighting is horrible on sandhill for biking

Posted by Progress
on Oct 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

No Steve C. I'm entitled. Like every other driver in this zip code, _I'M_ more important. _I_ deserve to go where I want as fast as I want.
_I_ need to be in front. _I_ cannot be bothered with politeness or even common courtesy.
_I_ am a Palo Alto driver, damnit, and I AM ENTITLED!!! ME FIRST!

Posted by Member
a resident of Menlo Park
on Oct 20, 2011 at 6:34 am

Progress - you paint with a broad brush. I drive a 1996 Gas-Guzzling GMC Suburban - what kind of driver am I??

Posted by Progress
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:01 am

@Member, you're the kind of driver that is less important than me. When you turn your turn signal on I will speed up to ensure you don't get in front of me. When merging onto the freeway in a line of cars, I will hug the bumper of the car in front of me. Why should _I_ allow _you_ in ahead of _ME_? If you cause me to lift my foot off the accelerator for any reason, I will huff and feign disgust, for _I_ am in _MY_ car.
OUTTA MY WAY! ME FIRST!!!

Posted by shadowofme
a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

What,me,the fake me is more important than you,my shawdow's real owner.

Posted by Progress
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:28 am

Just don't get in my way shadowofme..._I_ am in my car and I am entitled to drive as fast and impolitely as _I_ want. _I_ am in _MY_ car and _I_ have to go somewhere. Move over! Speed up! Outta My Way!!!!

Posted by shadowofme
a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:56 am

Save me,progress,my shadow is leading a coup against me.

Posted by Progress
on Oct 20, 2011 at 10:06 am

....if the road goes from two lanes down to one, I will always speed up, even if school kids are present, to ensure my place in front of you.
If you are making a right hand turn, i will get as close to your back bumper as possible, acting as if you were getting off the freeway instead of making a 90 degree turn. I AM A PALO ALTO DRIVER AND I AM ENTITLED!

Posted by patient patient
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 20, 2011 at 11:05 am

Maybe I'm speeding up to get past you because you keep drifting over into my lane. I don't know whether you're on your phone or just a bad driver, but I don't want to be anywhere near you.

And maybe you should realize that it is possible to make an unobstructed right turn without coming to a complete stop and waiting an additional ten seconds. If you cannot execute this maneuver, maybe you shouldn't be driving at all.

And, since you're driving in Palo Alto, I would like to remind you that many of the signal-controlled intersections are activated by sensors. When you are first in line and you choose to stop 30 feet back from the intersection, you ensure that the sensor will not get the message that cars are stopped. Maybe you don't mind waiting five minutes for a green light, but the rest of us have other things to do.

P.S. That map is ridiculous.

Posted by Ugh
on Oct 21, 2011 at 5:35 am

@patient patient, I think it was pretty obvious that Progress was making fun of the "Me first" "everything is the other guy's fault" attitude on the road. With or without realizing it, you just made his point for him. And may also add that the map is a joke.

Posted by Name hidden

on Jun 5, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Triple El

on Sep 26, 2017 at 1:38 am

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 69 comments | 6,427 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 996 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 830 views