Girl, 16, reports sexual assault in Mountain View

Police asking community to be on alert for suspicious behavior

Local law enforcement officials are asking for the community's help in tracking down two men accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old Mountain View girl in Whisman Park late last month.

The alleged victim reported the crime on Oct. 14, telling officers that she was accosted sometime between 6 and 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 26, 27 or 28.

The teen was on her way home from a jog along Stevens Creek Trail, according to Mountain View police spokeswoman Liz Wylie. The teen told police she had stopped for water at a drinking fountain in Whisman Park when she was grabbed from behind and pulled into a nearby women's bathroom.

After being pulled inside, she was groped by one man while another man held her against the wall and covered her mouth, so she couldn't yell for help, Wylie said. While she was being molested, the victim and the two men heard voices outside the bathroom, prompting the two assailants to flee. The teen ran home, but did not immediately report the incident.

She was not physically injured in the attack, Wylie said. The victim said one of the attackers looked white and the other Hispanic. Both were in their early 20s and of medium height and build. The white man had dark hair and wore a gray hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans. The Hispanic man wore a black hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.

In the police department's press release, Wylie wrote: "The victim did not initially report the assault for various reasons. This is not uncommon after sexual assaults and should not be taken as a sign that the assault did not occur."

Wylie would not detail the teen's personal reasons for not immediately coming forward. Speaking in general terms, Wylie said, "Often times there is a fear that people won't believe you. Often times there is a very strong desire to try to forget about it and pretend it didn't happen."

Police want locals to be aware of the incident and keep an eye out for suspicious behavior on Stevens Creek Trail or in Whisman Park, Wylie said. She added that anyone who may have seen the two alleged attackers fleeing the park should contact police on the non-emergency line: 650-903-6395

Wylie also wanted to remind the public that it is illegal to be in any city park or on Stevens Creek Trail after dark.

Comments

Posted by Anon
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thank you for reporting this crime. Best wishes to the victim in identifying and prosecuting the perpetrators.

Posted by JustMe
on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I want to echo Anon in my support for the victim. That must have been a very scary experience, and I can believe she is still having trouble dealing with it. We are here to support her though, and we wish her well.

I have heard before that it is not uncommon for a victim of a sexual assault to delay reporting it. I wish this were not so, but it is.

It sounds to me like there are two guys out there who need to be stopped before they "learn from the experience" and try again.

Posted by neighbor
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Oct 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Yes, it is a good thing, for her and for potential future victims, that she was able to gather enough courage to report this. I hope that her family and friends are able to provide the support she needs.

Posted by sally
a resident of Community Center
on Oct 19, 2011 at 10:46 am

so sorry for the young girl. best wishes to her for mental recovery and health. she should know people support her.

Posted by Say What?
on Oct 19, 2011 at 10:59 am

Was she assaulted on all 3 days (September 26,27,28) or the one time?
The report is confusing.

Posted by Gethin
on Oct 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Its not confusing, it says 26, 27 or 28th
She is not sure of the date which is easy to understand considering the traumatic nature of the assault and her waiting to feel ready to report it

Posted by Been There
a resident of JLS Middle School
on Oct 19, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I was assulted as a young girl, but I never reported it. i was afraid my family will be mad at me, or that people would make fun at me. I know why it took her long to report it. I am glad she did. She has more courage than I did at that age. Hope no one gets mad at her not gets laughd at.

Posted by Anon.
on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Very sorry for the victim and sad to hear and read of another case of crime in our parks and trails.

I really like to hike and bike along the Steven's Creek Trail and I have noticed that it is clearly difficult to monitor or police - whether it is night or day. They cannot even do anything about people walking around with their pitbulls until we get another tragedy. There is just something wrong with a police system that favors or is not proactive about minimizing problems before they happen.

Over the years I have read many stories of problems on this trail. I think before we build infrastructure we need to consider how difficult it is to protect - we cannot even seem to protect people on the streets of Palo Alto considering the number of people who have been robbed or attacked just walking on the street in broad daylight.

I'd like to hear the police address these issues for the public and see if they have any ideas how to stop this kind of crime. We seem to have a population explosion of hateful thugs and those who are even from good neighborhoods and families who are tempted to commit crimes because that is what we see and hear in the media an in popular movies and music these days.

I am getting really sick of seeing our culture degraded and rotted out by neglect and poor design choices that are not sustainable. Do we need to put video cameras all over the place? I think cameras make sense - record for a week and then write over it, pull it and use it for evidence if there is reported wrongdoing, and for God's sake put these people away for good. Someone who commits an criminal act of abuse and contempt for society like this one is just going to get worse over time.

Posted by Sharon
on Oct 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

"Mountain View police announced Friday that a sexual assault reported last week at Whisman Park did not actually take place.

The 16-year-old girl who reported the incident on Oct. 14 confirmed to police this week "that no assault of any kind occurred," police spokeswoman Liz Wylie said."

Web Link

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Evergreen Park

on Jun 5, 2017 at 9:31 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 8 comments | 1,347 views