Jumping into service for the country

Hundreds of Fairmeadow students join Michelle Obama in bid for jumping jacks record

Hundreds of Palo Alto elementary students Wednesday sprang into action in support of first lady Michelle Obama's bid to set a Guinness World Record for jumping jacks.

Led by third-grade teacher Penelope Sanders-Jones, who stood on the roof of the school, students at Fairmeadow Elementary School formed lines on the playground and did jumping jacks for a full minute during their morning recess.

The goal was to break the Guinness World Record for the most people doing jumping jacks in a 24-hour period.

Jumper-in-chief Obama led the charge Tuesday, assembling 400 Washington D.C.-area schoolchildren to join her in a minute of jumping jacks on the south lawn of the White House.

More than 20,000 people were needed to break the record, according to National Geographic Kids magazine, which promoted the event. In the end, Fairmeadow contributed 271 to the count, which was officially documented by more than a dozen independent volunteer "witnesses" who have no connection to Fairmeadow.

The event was part of Obama's Let's Move campaign, aimed at solving childhood obesity within a generation.

"The physical and emotional health of an entire generation and the economic health and security of our nation is at stake," Obama said at the time the campaign was launched in February 2010.

Chris Kenrick

Comments

Posted by good job
on Oct 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Easiest and cheapest way to reduce national health care costs is to increase physical fitness.

Posted by remembering
a resident of Professorville
on Oct 12, 2011 at 11:13 pm

that was our jumping jacks and eye excerise
Web Link
Web Link

Posted by Nostaligia from 60's
on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:31 am

Reminds me of the President's Air Force Exercise program that was all the rage during the early 60's (think it was during the Kennedy administration that this physical fitness thing took off). My father tried to get me on board with those exercises but I was woefully out of shape then. I did manage to become a marathoner in my 30's so it is never too late!

One thing I am totally amazed at is how many young people are still smoking. I smoked in high school (argh....can't believe it!) in the 60's but I thought that was a thing of the past. Apparently not. I think smoking is one of the most destructive addictions people engage in. Thank goodness I was able to quit.

I applaud Michelle for leading the charge here!

Posted by Do the right thing
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Oct 13, 2011 at 11:47 am

A safety role model?

Per Daily Post (Nov 13 2011), the 3rd grade teacher Penny Sanders-Jones on the roof of the school led kids to jump for the world record. Who should be allowed on the roof top of public property, anybody or maintenance crew only?

Teach the right thing!

Posted by Mary
a resident of Gunn High School
on Oct 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Do the Right Thing,

Please get a life. Why be such a wet blanket?

Posted by Steve
on Oct 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Maybe the President could pay us for each jump they do to off set the blunder of giving money to Solyndra!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Do the right thing
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Oct 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Are we telling our kid it is ok to jump on the roof?

Stay to the fact sis.

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,178 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 934 views