Woman killed in hit-and-run crash on Highway 101

Southbound lanes of 101 closed near Marsh Road following Sunday morning fatality

A Daly City woman was killed in a collision on southbound U.S. Highway 101 Sunday morning (Sept. 25) in Menlo Park, and the California Highway Patrol is searching for a pickup truck that fled the scene.

The crash occurred around 5:30 a.m., when a red Honda civic was rear-ended by a 1960s or 1970s model pickup truck, according to CHP Public Information Officer Art Montiel.

The Honda and was struck a second time by a taxicab. The Honda sustained severe damage and the driver was killed. The San Mateo County coroner's office has identified the driver as Jacqueline Thompson, 37, of Daly City.

The pickup truck fled the scene. It was described as an older model Ford, tan or rust in color, with significant front-end damage.

The crash blocked southbound 101 for nearly three hours.

Anyone with information on the crash or the suspect vehicle should call 911.

Comments

Posted by reckless drivers
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Sep 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Reckless drivers doubling their crime by fleeing the scene. Very sad.

Rest in peace.

Posted by DZ
a resident of Terman Middle School
on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Small cars are not safe.

Posted by Sharon
on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm

With all the CCTY cameras one would think this case could be solved

Posted by JustMe
on Sep 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I doubt the CCIY cameras are going to offer any real help on the identity of the driver of that truck. They are not going to zoom in in the plates, they really probbaly only provide backup for what the witnesses reported.

I feel bad not only for the unfortunate victim on this crash but for her family and friends. That pickup driver created a whole lot of hurt for a whole lot of people, and he is still out there.

Posted by daniel
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Sep 26, 2011 at 7:25 am

There are plenty of awful, dangerous, lawless and potentially deadly drivers out there, driving all sort of cars, from jalopies to late model luxury cars. However, I must admit that pickup trucks always make my radar antennas go up immediately when I'm on the road. This is not to condemn all pickup trucks drivers of course, but on the whole, the most reckless and lawless driving I have witnessed over many years of driving was exhibited by pickup truck drivers.

Posted by noname
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 26, 2011 at 8:16 am

I agree about the pickups (doesn't help that my car was totaled by one). People who have legitimate need for a pickup aren't reckless, but the recreational pickup truck drivers seem to be determined to show us all that they own the road.

Poor woman didn't have a chance in that tiny car.

Posted by Theresa
on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:32 am

I was driving north on 101 from Palo Alto at 7AM on Sunday morning and saw the southbound section that was closed. I figured that something very bad had happened and am sad to learn that reckless driving cost Ms. Thompson her life.

Posted by Anon
on Sep 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

DZ, tiny cars are not unsafe. Reckless drivers in oversized cars are unsafe.

Posted by Ugh
on Sep 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm

So SAD...ugghh, it should not have happened & COULD NOT have happened.

Posted by Cele Horn
on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:26 pm

my neighborhood (JCC/Moldaw Residences.
When are the schools going to have a room-sized bank-type vault in the center of each building have a vault-like room where all the computers are locked in it as last responsible person leaves. Do schools have insurance on high-value items like computers? Everytime I read about thousands of dollars lost through break-ins and thefts, I wonder about this.
Some time ago I read that a minority charter school gave up all its computers because they were going broke with the break-ins and thefts. While it seems like a return to the dark ages, how else can we prevent this nonsensical vandalism? Please let me know what "my neighborhood" is. It certainly comes close to being the worst intersection in Palo Alto/Mt. View.

Posted by JustMe
on Sep 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

Cele Horn, methinks you posted a reply to the wrong thread. You might want to repost to the thread about stolen school computers.

'sokay, I have done the same thing myself, and felt dumb for it.

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 39 comments | 1,422 views

Global Warming Diet

Couples: "Taming Your Gremlin" by Richard Carson

Preparing for kindergarten
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 587 views

Pre-registration ends tomorrow!

​On Friday, September 21, join us at the Palo Alto Baylands for a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run, or—for the first time—half marathon! All proceeds benefit local nonprofits serving children and families.

Learn More