Obama to return to Woodside this Sunday

President to meet campaign contributors

President Barack Obama is returning to Woodside on Sunday (Sept. 25) for a 4 p.m. gathering to meet and presumably break bread with campaign contributors, according to an announcement from his 2012 re-election campaign.

The hosts this time are Sandi and John Thompson, who, according to a source, live on or near Mountain Home Road, the same neighborhood that Obama visited on a rainy night in February when he dined with high-tech leaders.

On that occasion, Obama flew to San Francisco International Airport, flew by helicopter to a parking lot at Canada College, and then rode by limousine via Canada and Mountain Home roads to the home of venture capitalist John Doerr.

While neither the route nor the hosts' address is made public, the gaggle of reporters and photographers awaiting the passage of the limousine tends to reveal the general location.

Also indicative is the placement of California Highway Patrol officers. For Obama's February visit, black-and-white patrol cars were parked one-to-a-driveway along Manzanita Road. Driveways were blocked, the Almanac was told, so as to remove opportunities to turn around, thereby ensuring a one-way route for anyone who started down Manzanita from Mountain Home that evening.

A donation of $2,500 gets you in the door. For $7,500 (or $10,000 for you and a friend), you can have a photo taken with the president and participate in a reception for him. Such gifts are not tax deductible.

Write to estowe@barackobama.com for more information.

Comments

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Ugg. Again? I guess that the President knows where his money comes from.

*sigh

Posted by neighbor
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Nayeli --- It's the same neighborhood where Bush's money and Meg Whitman's big money came from. And, they also had fund raisers just like this one.

These days politicos need those dollars just to run for office...at least, Obama also has contributors from a broader range of income groups than the Republicans.

Posted by Sharon
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Not again-- he just clogs up traffic and annoys people

These are reelection campaign trips and should be paid for by the DNC--including all local police time.

No taxpayers dollars should be spent on this trip.

Has not Obama heard of Ciscos Telepresence? John Chambers should inform him.

Posted by make it easy
a resident of Meadow Park
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Public financing of elections.

No undisclosed corporate money. No fundraising. No favors owed to contributors, just to taxpayers.

Or deal with it and quit whining.

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm

@ neighbor:

Funny, I don't remember President Bush or even Meg Whitman visiting Palo Alto three times in a year while in office.

Meg never served in public office...but she lives in the area.

Maybe Bush did?

Besides, I didn't direct my comment about Bush or Whitman. I was just speaking of the current President. Those other two are so...2004/2010.

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Besides, I didn't say it was a "bad" thing for the President to come over and over again. I don't plan on voting for him in 2012...but I understand that he has to go where people will give him money.

I did think that it was odd that he was returning to the Bay Area while the Solyndra "scandal" is still so fresh in the public's mind.

Posted by Chris Zaharias
on Sep 19, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I wonder if the hosts will let the President smoke outside?

Posted by neighbor
on Sep 19, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Nayeli ---
Obama/Solyndra solar energy company "scandal" vs Cheney/Halliburton scandously profits millions from Iraq war which killed/kills thousands.

Posted by Outside Observer
on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:11 am

I wonder if the Secret Service will allow bicyclists on Woodside Road while he is there.

Posted by no thanks
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:35 am

To the point of "public financing of elections". No thanks. I like being able to vote for my candidate with my own wallet. I don't want yet another tax where I have to support people with ideologies that are bad for my country. We already have that..it is called "Union dues" and, as we currently see, campaigning while already in office. ( hmm...I wonder who pays for the "corporate jets" and the staff to follow our POTUS here and there?)

Posted by svatoid
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:53 am

"Not again-- he just clogs up traffic and annoys people
No taxpayers dollars should be spent on this trip.
Has not Obama heard of Ciscos Telepresence? John Chambers should inform him."

Someone sounds bitter. Who does Obama's visit annoy?
How do you know who pays for these trips?
Did not hear Sharon complaining when Bush went on these kind of trips. Funny that.
Personal visits are what fund raising is about,but maybe John Chambers can hook Sharon up so she can see Obama from her home in Midtown.

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:17 am

@ neighbor:

I wasn't making a comparison between Obama and Cheney, or Solyndra and Halliburton. While they both made millions from government handouts (well, one was a handout and the other was a payment for a specific defense contract where one offered the lowest bid from an American company), I do think that you misunderstood my intentions.

I wasn't doing a compare/contrast.

I'm just saying that it takes a lot of audacity for the President to disparage corporate "fat cats" and then show up to this area asking guests for $2,500 to attend dinner with him (or $10,000 for a photo with him) and to home located ~15 miles away from a company that is currently being investigated by the FBI because of what it did with government "investment" money aggressively pushed to them by the Obama Administration, whether its books were "cooked" and whether the news media was ever asked to not report the story (or take a defensive stand...such as the "exaggerated" story written by Time's Michael Grunwald).

Make sense?

This isn't a comparison of who was worse (Cheney or Obama)...or which company was worse (Solyndra or Halliburton). In fact, I didn't bring up (or voice approval with) anyone from the previous administration at all. We don't move forward by pointing the finger back. We learn from the past (the good, bad and ugly)...and move on. I am much more interested in what has happened under the current administration than what happened 3+ years ago.

Hey, I am still hoping that unemployment will fall below 8% -- the point that I was promised by the current Administration that it would never reach back in early 2009.

Posted by mediabias
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

When a "news" article ends with a donation tier and e-mail address for BarackObama.com, it is not NEWS, it's a solicitation to support a Democrat. Did the Almanac or Palo Alto Online "report" on Republican candidate Mitt Romney's fundraising stop last week in Atherton?

Posted by chris
a resident of University South
on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:15 am

Mediabias,

Did Romney provide the information? I understand he was very secretive about the visit.

Posted by mediabias
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:50 am

I don't know whether Romney's campaign provided information to Dave Boyce, who happens to be the CEO of a fundraising platform company, but it should not be the role of a "news" outlet to act as a fundraising mouthpiece -- Democrat or Republican. If a campaign visit results in public impact, such as traffic detours or delays or road closures, that is legitimate news. Donation levels and campaign contact can be left out.

Posted by neighbor
on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Rick Perry was here raising money last week....OMG, wouldn't you like to know who was at THAT shindig?

Scary.

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm

@ neighbor:

Is everything a comparison to you? Every time anyone mentions Obama, you seem intent on bringing up Cheney...or Bush...or, now, Governor Perry.

Posted by mj street
a resident of South of Midtown
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm

"Obama's flaws (or perceived flaws) have nothing to do with those others or their perceived flaws."

Huh? You're saying a Bush flaw stood on it's own, and you're sorry for bringing up Clinton and sex every time someone brought up a Bush flaw?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

We had to listen for 8 years about about Bush's mistakes being Clinton's fault.

Posted by mediabias
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm

@chris -- by the way, I'm not sure how you understood the Romney visit to be secretive, but other online news outlets had the info.

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

@ mj street:

Funny, I don't recollect hearing that for eight years. Of course, this isn't about Bush...or Clinton...or Cheney. It is about the guy currently serving in the White House.

An attack on others is a poor defense of the president.

Posted by mj street
a resident of South of Midtown
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

"Funny, I don't recollect hearing that for eight years." Of course YOU don't recollect.

The converse is when the Obama haters give Bush credit for Obama's successes. You can't recall that ever happening either, I bet.

The corollary: blaming Obama for the some of the bigger mistakes under the last couple years of Bush. Drawing a blank there, as well?

Posted by DDee
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Politics aside, today's America is not the place where it is particularly well thought out, wise, nor safe to broadcast or speculate as to all the causeways and resources used by POTUS to get from point A to point B... especially not a POTUS who has a record number of threats against his life. Leave that to the police and highway patrol thank you. They can give what notice needs to be given so people can adjust their routes accordingly. Why aid and abbett the increasingly numerous angry and crazed among us?

Back to politics... I agree that it pisses me off that Obama has come to the bay area all these times and used the visits exclusively to meet with the well-healed, totally ignoring the many and more numerous (but also more politically demanding) small donors, campaigners and others who make up --- perhaps I should use the past tense here --- the Democratic Party base.

Oakland is the west coast capital of the civil rights movement and still constitutes one of the largest and historically important Black communities in America, and together with San Francisco, long the seat of progressive worker activism, gave America some of the most loyal progessive labor unions, especially the carpenters and longshoremen, who were at the very forefront of the fight to desegregate unions as a precursor to the struggles to desegregate the American workplace.

Seems obvious to me that at some point, and some point soon, Obama might consider the wisdom of gathering with those folk as well. I mean, that is, if he wants to regain authenticity and credibility among those who actually go out and campaign for him and stop being run and managed by the beltway bubble-merchants who are ruining his administration and his career, not to mention so many of our dreams of regaining an America steeped in the Constitution (not the cherry-picked version), moral standing and accountability under the law for those at the top who have grossly violated all three and brought us to the pits we are in today.

But, that's just me....

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm

@ mjstreet:

I think that you misunderstand it. I am not an "Obama hater." I just happen to disagree with him on several key issues...and I am disappointed with his job performance. That is a far cry from being a "hater."

I don't know if I have heard anyone blame Obama for Bush's mistakes. And, again, I am not bringing up Bush...or Clinton...or Cheney. What's past is prologue...and we can only learn from it (or not). I am focused on the "here and now" as being the current administration.

And, President Obama didn't choose the cards that he was dealt. I am not as disappointed with how he handled the cards that were dealt to him (although I am to an extent) as I am the ambiguous promises that he made about fixing the economy through a quick, broad set of policies.

Throughout two years of campaigning (when unemployment was remarkably lower than it is today), we heard nagging criticism of Bush at nearly ever Obama campaign speech. The promises of "fixing" it were there -- but things are seemingly worse now than they were before (at least for us).

In early 2009, President Obama's administration promised unemployment would not reach 8% (it was just over 6% at the time) if his broad economic policies were passed (including bailouts). Several months later, unemployment exceeded that and has hovered between 9-10% ever since.

Is Obama to blame? Of course not. There were plenty of fingers pointing...and some are deserving while others are not. However, the President was the person making the promises.

I saw a website the other day with a very long list of broken promises. In fact, that website broke down promises that Obama made to people from all sides of the political ideological spectrum. Liberals/progressives are unhappy with many broken promises. Moderates are unhappy with many broken promises. And, of course, Conservatives are unhappy with both the broken promises AND the actual policies.

But, don't make the mistake of thinking that people "hate" Obama for all of this. Most of us are just dissatisfied with his performance.

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Good points, DDee. I would love to meet the president...and I would offer some suggestions to him that could help him know how many Americans feel. However, I don't have $10,000 for a photo op...or $2500 for a plate of spaghetti.

:-\

Posted by neighbor
on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Nayeli
Check out the timeline to see how -- and when -- the economic situation developed:
Web Link

Note that the 2008 crash was one of Bush's gifts to Obama -- don't you remember the summer of 2008 when Bush and everyone else freaked out?

Each president comes into office and must deal with the reality he (or maybe someday, she) is faced with.

These economic are huge problems -- we outsourced our primary, secondary, and now even our service sector jobs over many years, then we created a war in Iraq (doing the actual criminals behind 2011 a favor) to spend billions.

Clinton erased the national debt....remember that?

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:11 pm

@ neighbor:

Again (and again), this isn't about President Bush. You can blame Bush and Bush alone (right or wrong...and neglect the Democratic Congress) for the economic turmoil in 2008 all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that things have grown worse since the election -- even though Obama promised all of this "change" for the better.

That was a BROKEN PROMISE that has bit the current President in the rear end. He even admitted that he couldn't be reelected if things didn't get better in three years. Guess what? It has been nearly three years...and all of that massive spending hasn't help "spend our way out of a recession."

In fact, we are in serious danger of a double dip.

Now, I wouldn't blame Obama alone for the current mess any more than the silly rhetoric that attempts to blame Bush for what happened in 2008 (*cough cough Barney Frank Christopher Dodd cough). And I certainly wouldn't credit Clinton for SINGLE-HANDEDLY created a budget surplus. That was more of a "perfect storm" of post-Cold War peacetime military cuts and the massive cuts by Republican Congress in welfare spending (for which Clinton previously proclaimed that the "era of big government is over.").

The problem with Obama is that he PROMISED that his Keynesian policies would "fix" the economy. For two years leading up to the election, freshman Senator Obama criticized the Bush Administration for the war and the economy. I can still hear "the failed policies of George W. Bush" repetitive talking points ringing in my ears.

Fast forward three years later and we have an economy that is in even worse shape. As all public opinion polls demonstrate, this is hurting Obama in the main topic that helped get him elected in 2008.

But, again, this isn't about prior presidents or administrations. This is about the HERE AND NOW. Obama is the President...and he is the one coming to this area...again...and again. I do find it odd that he is coming to this area while Solyndra is so fresh in everyone's mind and still front page (or page 2) news.

Posted by Nayeli
on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:15 pm

@ neighbor:

However, thank you for the link! I will look through it.

Posted by noob
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Sep 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm

he's just looking at houses to move here

Posted by mj street
a resident of South of Midtown
on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:46 am

"I don't know if I have heard anyone blame Obama for Bush's mistakes."

Funny. At least you gave up defending that the Bushies "never" blamed Clinton - that was a hoot!

"I don't know if I have heard anyone blame Obama for Bush's mistakes."

In 2010, the right wing echo chamber loved conflating, or outright blaming Obama for TARP.

But you don't remember that either, I suppose.

Populism: A response to the failure of the elites: Palo Alto edition

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,364 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,100 views