Mountain lion spotted at Cañada College

Big cat seen twice early Tuesday morning

Two reports of mountain lion sightings at Cañada College in Redwood City were received early Tuesday morning, San Mateo County emergency officials said.

The cat was first reportedly seen on the north side of Cañada College at 4200 Farm Hill Blvd. at 5 a.m. and then again at 6:30 a.m. running into a nearby canyon.

Residents are advised not to hike or jog when mountain lions are most active -- at dawn, dusk and night, emergency officials said. Residents are also reminded to keep an eye on small children and not to run if a mountain lion is spotted, but rather to face the animal, make noise and try to appear bigger by waving arms and throwing objects.

County officials warn hikers not to approach a mountain lion, especially if the animal is feeding or with offspring. For more information about mountain lions, visit www.keepmewild.org.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by kongjie
a resident of College Terrace
on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:39 am

kongjie is a registered user.

Evidently the animal broke into Palo Alto Online's print shop and stole all the eñes, too.

Posted by EdgewoodParker
on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

nice one, kongjie! ;-)

Mountain lions are not all that uncommon in that area, although they are rarely seen anywhere near people. Hikers in Edgewood Park should be aware of these large cats when they go hiking and don't go alone.

Posted by kongjie
a resident of College Terrace
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:51 am

kongjie is a registered user.

Thanks! I know that with CMS this can sometimes be a problem. As an East Coast transplant the first time I saw Cañada misspelled I was very confused why there would be a Canada College in California LOL.

Posted by Michele
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:52 am

Please don't shoot him!!

Posted by Resident
on Aug 31, 2011 at 12:08 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Resident, cañada means arroyo, creek, cattle track, or glen between the mountains. Many of the place names date back to Spanish explorers/settlers. Are you a Calif native? That's basic Calif school kid knowledge.

Posted by Paul
on Aug 31, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I guess resident would also like to know why our large California cities are not known as St. Francis, St. Joseph and The Angels. C'mon people, don't we have more significant things to worry about? Like when will Charles Beltran start hitting?

Posted by Resident
on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Whether I know the translation of Canada, whether I am California raised, or even whether I can translate California cities into English is not my point. Using a word that has a letter that is not in the English alphabet is my point. The English alphabet, unlike other latin based languages, has no accent marks. If we can't use the accent mark, should we use the word for a place? If we can't use the accent mark, should we be surprised at someone pronouncing it wrong?

Whether we should take the time to discuss it, is a different subject. Personally, I think it is the mark of an educated group of people to be able to discuss various topics, whether they are important issues, or just issues of interest.

And then again, there is sport...

Posted by accent
a resident of Southgate
on Aug 31, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Yeah,I am a foreigner,I got accents,I got leftovers,they got what to say and picked it first,then anything they did not want got kicked back to me.Good job.

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 69 comments | 5,340 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 785 views

Zucchini Takeover
By Laura Stec | 1 comment | 526 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 520 views