News

Neighbors awaken sleeping residents during fire

Occupants are displaced after blaze in kitchen makes apartment uninhabitable

The sleeping occupants of Palo Alto apartment escaped injury on Saturday morning (Aug. 6), after neighbors awakened them to a fire in their unit, Palo Alto Battalion Chief Chris Woodard said.

The fire broke out in the kitchen at about 7:13 a.m. at 242 Curtner Ave. and was noticed by neighbors. The occupants used a fire extinguisher to extinguish the blaze, but the apartment is currently uninhabitable, Woodard said. No damage estimate has been given and the fire is still being investigated.

Three fire engines, one truck, one rescue unit and a medical unit were sent to the apartment complex. No one was injured, he said.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Palo Alto Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

Follow Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly on Twitter @paloaltoweekly, Facebook and on Instagram @paloaltoonline for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Neighbors awaken sleeping residents during fire

Occupants are displaced after blaze in kitchen makes apartment uninhabitable

by / Palo Alto Weekly

Uploaded: Sat, Aug 6, 2011, 5:53 pm
Updated: Mon, Aug 8, 2011, 8:07 am

The sleeping occupants of Palo Alto apartment escaped injury on Saturday morning (Aug. 6), after neighbors awakened them to a fire in their unit, Palo Alto Battalion Chief Chris Woodard said.

The fire broke out in the kitchen at about 7:13 a.m. at 242 Curtner Ave. and was noticed by neighbors. The occupants used a fire extinguisher to extinguish the blaze, but the apartment is currently uninhabitable, Woodard said. No damage estimate has been given and the fire is still being investigated.

Three fire engines, one truck, one rescue unit and a medical unit were sent to the apartment complex. No one was injured, he said.

Comments

Smoke Alarms Save Lives
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 8, 2011 at 10:37 am
Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 8, 2011 at 10:37 am
Like this comment

thank goodness nobody was harmed! Thanks to neighbors for noticing this fire but I am wondering what happened to the smoke alarms which should have been the first warning that a fire was in progress. Maybe the reporter didn't have this information or perhaps the neighbor noticed the fire at the same time the alarm went off. I am assuming this fire had not reached massive size yet since the residents were able to extinguish it themselves. It's good that they had an extinguisher handy! Please make sure you have alarms with fresh batteries. This can save your life!


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.