News

Fairmeadow neighborhood fire injures one

Kitchen fire was caused by melted object on the stove

A fire at a home on Starr King Circle caused minor damage and a minor injury to one resident Tuesday morning (Aug. 2), Palo Alto Fire Battalion Chief Chris Woodard said.

The blaze broke out about 10:30 a.m. in the kitchen of an Eichler home in the 3700 block of Starr King Circle near Alma Street and Charleston Road. An object left on the stove melted and caught fire, Woodard said. Three engines, one truck and a medical unit arrived at the scene.

Two occupants tried to fight the fire and were successful with getting the kitchen blaze under control, but the fire spread into the roof area. The fire was confined to the kitchen area and roof, according to Woodard. One occupant received minor burns but did not require hospital treatment, he said.

Firefighters cut a hole into the roof and took out a vent; the fire was extinguished in about two minutes after the first engine company arrived, he said. The value of the damage has not yet been determined, he said.

It is unknown if the occupants can return to the home at this time.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Sam
a resident of Barron Park
on Aug 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Quick response by the fire dept and the city council wants to cut staffing and/or close a fire station.


Like this comment
Posted by Jake
a resident of Barron Park
on Aug 2, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I saw Servpro responded quickly. Is Servpro a good company?


Like this comment
Posted by experienced
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Jake,
don't know if they are good or not. Usually your insurance company has a list of recommended professionals for fire and smoke clean up.
Smoke is worse than fire--permeates everything, especially in an Eichler with wood paneling and tongue-in-groove ceiling boards. All fabric in the house can absorb smoke odor--upholstery, carpet, clothing in closet, etc. Depends how much smoke was generated by the fire.
There can be NO fire and still extensive smoke damage from something left on the stove and melting/charring down.

Thanks PAFD for quick action.


Like this comment
Posted by Anonymous
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 4, 2011 at 7:33 am

Lucky. Eichlers burn quickly.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Peek inside the fine-dining Selby's, opening in Redwood City this summer
By Elena Kadvany | 4 comments | 3,982 views

Homestead Faire at Hidden Villa 4/27
By Laura Stec | 6 comments | 1,176 views

Premarital and Couples: "You're Not Listening to Me!" may mean "I don't feel heard."
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,034 views

All those things our city does – and doesn’t -- do
By Diana Diamond | 6 comments | 988 views

Migraines and motherhood
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 586 views

 

Vote now!

It's time once again to cast your vote for the best places to eat, drink, shop and spend time in Palo Alto. Voting is open now through May 27. Watch for the results of our 2019 Best Of contest on Friday, July 19.

Vote