Sports

Cibulkova forced out of semifinals with abdominal injury

 

Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova withdrew from her semifinal match against France's Marion Bartoli at the Bank of the West Classic on Saturday with a left abdominal strain.

"It has been bothering me on and off the whole week," Cibulkova said. "It was painful when I played Marina (Erakovic) but I was able to get through that match. I thought it would be better in the morning but I saw a doctor and he recommended not playing since the injury could worsen."

Cibulkova had the same problem earlier in the year, missing two tournaments after getting through the quarterfinal at Madrid.

"Maybe I rushed to play too quick," she said. "I don't want to make the same mistake."

Cibulkova still plans to travel to San Diego, where she is scheduled to play Wednesday.

"It's still open and I'm hoping to be ready," she said. "I still have things to do in San Diego."

The 19th-ranked Cibulkova is projected to rise to No. 16 in the WTA singles rankings by reaching the semifinal. She beat qualifier Marina Erakovic in the quarterfinals Friday, 6-1, 6-1.

"It was a great tournament for me," Cibulkova said. "I was looking forward to maybe winning my first tournament. I was so full of confidence."

The ninth-ranked Bartoli reached her fourth final of the year and her third final at Stanford. She won the title in 2009.

Bartoli reached the semis when Japan's Ayumi Morita withdrew with an injury after the first set Friday night.

"This has never happened to me but there's not much I can do about it," Bartoli said. "It's a shame Dominika had to be put out. It will be an extremely tough match tomorrow and I need to get ready."

Bartoli is the lone seeded player left in the main draw and will meet Serena Williams in the championship match on Sunday.

Both singles players addressed the crowd and Bartoli hit balls with several kids before giving way to the scheduled semifinal doubles match.

-- AP

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Don't be the last to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Simply Sandwiches shutters in Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 10 comments | 3,202 views

More Stupid Plastic Food Things
By Laura Stec | 9 comments | 1,625 views

Operation Varsity Blues
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 8 comments | 1,381 views

Couples: Write a Personal Ad . . . to Your Partner . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,259 views

State Legislature on Housing: Getting the Demos out of Democracy & with it, Accountability
By Douglas Moran | 5 comments | 1,256 views

 

Short story writers wanted!

The 33rd Annual Palo Alto Weekly Short Story Contest is now accepting entries for Adult, Young Adult (15-17) and Teen (12-14) categories. Send us your short story (2,500 words or less) and entry form by March 29. First, Second and Third Place prizes awarded in each category.

Contest Details