Girl robbed at gunpoint, pushed from car

Suspect threatened to kill teenager, took her cell phone

A teenager who apparently was hanging out with the wrong crowd was robbed of her cell phone at gunpoint and pushed from a car on June 9, Palo Alto police said.

The girl was with three men, at least one of whom was an acquaintance, between 1 and 1:30 a.m. One of the suspects allegedly put a gun to the girl's head and threatened to kill her, taking her cell phone, as they drove near East Bayshore and San Antonio roads, police Sgt. Sal Madrigal said on Thursday (June 16).

The teenager suffered injuries after the men pulled over and threw her out of the vehicle. She was taken to a hospital where she received treatment, he said.

Police arrested Antonio Nunez, 25, of Menlo Park June 9 and are looking for two other men. Nunez has been charged with second-degree robbery and false imprisonment, both felonies.

Comments

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jun 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Oh, the poor girl! I hope she is okay. Yeah, she may have been hanging out w/the wrong crowd, but the first sentence of this article is annoying. Teens don't have the same developed reasoning ability as adults & make a lot of mistakes. This one really cost her, & it could've been worse. What's the excuse for the *adults* involved? They don't have one, scum-sucking losers. Really, a gun to the head & then you dump her?

Years ago, I was teenager babysitting in MP & a friend of mine was shoved out of the car & dumped on the lawn where I was. She was hysterically upset but didn't want to call the cops. I knew the 2 losers she was with, both over the age of 18 & they were thugs. Even so, psychos in training that they were, there was no gun or threats against her life - & they weren't as old as 25. I had fun confronting & threatening them- it was very satisfying & I had protection.

I hope these other idiots are caught & punished. I hope she recovers & that this nasty event leaves her a more cautious & less trusting- & I hope her parents can get to the bottom of this as well.

Posted by Uh?
on Jun 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Unless shes 18 or 19, what is a teenage girl doing at at 1:30AM on a Thursday morning? Or friday morning? (somewhat unclear). Let alone by herself with 3 dudes wielding firearms? Even if she is 18 or 19 the behavior is questionable...

And what idiots! Robbing a cell phone? With a gun? 3 adult males against 1 female? This doesn't add up.

Posted by Gardner
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:19 am

Dear editors,

Please leave the editorializing to us snarky readers and restrict your news articles to reporting.

Posted by Missy
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Jun 17, 2011 at 8:59 am

So sad how they had to take the phone from a teenage girl and put a gun to her head to top it off. What where they trying to prove that they have the ability to pick on young girls. Maybe their mothers never holding them as children or maybe their parents are drug addicts who never taught them how to be real men. Not cool picking on young girls and taking her cell phone. Its called get a job and buy your own phone retard. Gangs are for losers....I hope this girl takes a different walk in life. Choose better people to associate with in the future. Good Luck!

Posted by Anon.
on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:46 am

It sounds to be like this was an East Palo Alto issue that got pushed over the border ... I wonder if that was calculated to keep EPA police out of the picture?

Posted by come on
a resident of Gunn High School
on Jun 17, 2011 at 10:51 am

Nothing in the article says that the victim was from EPA. The crime occurred near the Palo Alto/Mountain View border, which is in a different county from EPA.

Posted by George K.
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm

What are friends for? I miss hanging out with my teen friends, getting pushed out of the car at high speeds. What a lark! I've always wondered, though, why people steal cell phones. Why would you want to get someone else's phone calls? Boring!

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,384 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 373 views