Fatal Dumbarton crash victim was from Palo Alto

Multi-vehicle crash on the bridge closed two lanes

A Palo Alto man has been identified as the victim of a fatal crash on the Dumbarton Bridge on Tuesday (June 14), according to the Alameda County coroner's bureau.

Terrence Abdullah, 43, was killed at about 3 p.m. in a two-vehicle crash that blocked two westbound lanes for 50 minutes.

Abdullah was driving his 1995 Chevy Corsica westbound in the No. 2 lane -- the second farthest to the left -- when the car became disabled and stopped, California Highway Patrol Officer Brian Watkins said.

The driver of a second vehicle, Roberto Lopez, 59, of Menlo Park, was traveling in the same lane westbound at an unknown speed when his 2000 Nissan Quest struck the rear of Abdullah's vehicle. For an unknown reason, he failed to slow down or stop before rear-ending Abdullah's vehicle, Watkins said.

Abdullah sustained fatal injuries; Lopez complained of chest pains and was taken by ambulance to Stanford University Medical Center. He has not been charged in the accident, Watkins said.

Abdullah was listed in an online profile as a owner of a small Midtown company, S&P Worldwide Management, LLC, also known as S&P Worldwide Communications.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:38 am

I am so very sorry to read this. Mr. Lopez must feel terrible about this incident. I hope he recovers. My condolences to Mr. Abdullah's loved ones.

Posted by So Scary
a resident of Mountain View
on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:00 am

I travel Dumbarton bridge twice a day, every day of the week, and that is the scariest thing about that bridge - no pullover lane! Condolences to the family!

Posted by Anon.
on Jun 15, 2011 at 11:00 am

There are a lot of people who speed and weave around in the Dumbarton bridge in and out of traffic. Once or twice a year on average I have a totally unnecessary close call like that where someone is passing and weaving in front of me going very fast and very close to hitting the front of my car. People treat their cars like video games or toys, they just do not think.

Posted by Driver
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Speed Limit
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Dude -

The speed limit is the maximum speed it is safe to drive.

You want to put others' life and limb at risk because you're in a hurry?

Schedule your time so you're not in such a hurry. Or get off the road.

Vehicles at high speeds are dangerous!

Posted by Train Neighbor
a resident of Ventura
on Jun 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm

My sympathies to his family.

Posted by Boom
on Jun 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I grew up with Terence "Tip",just had spoke with him 3 day's ago,I'm devestated,very nice guy.He will be missed,my prayer's go to his family.

Posted by Cherry
a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Jun 15, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Thanks for all of the condolences....Terrance is my first cousin. Our hearts are aching but we know he is in a better place. Again Thanks

Posted by Easter
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Jun 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Terrence was my counsin and this time last year he was visiting. He will be greatly missed. God received another angel. Love Fam, all the way from Iraq.

Posted by Leslie
on Jun 16, 2011 at 2:22 am

Terrance was one of my dearest friends for whom I loved dearly. The shocking news of his passing was devastating. He will truly be missed in my life. I had the awesome pleasure of speaking with him 20 minutes prior to this fatal tragedy. Who would ever know that would have been the last call he would ever have made to me. Much love to his mom and family and my condolences for your loss.
Daytona Beach, FL

Posted by Resident
on Jun 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Here's the SJ Mercury's article on him, stating he lived in EPA and earlier it stated he became religious while he was in prison but it's been deleted from the article. Seems his surname was Jackson before he changed it.

I wish others could follow in his footsteps and see all that America has to offer (rather than living the angry man attitude, believing life is not fair). We've lost a productive member of society.

Web Link

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,344 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)

Can we ever improve our schools?
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 216 views