Police investigate Mountain View road rage attack

Man allegedly runs other man off road, punches him in face

A case of severe road rage was reported Monday (May 16) after a man allegedly ran another driver off Grant Road, then punched him in the face through the car window, and broke the victim's glasses, police said.

The man accused of the attack told the investigating officer a "conflicting" story.

Going by the alleged victim's statements, Mountain View police spokeswoman Liz Wylie said the incident began at about 10:40 a.m. on May 16, when the man tried to merge into the lane next to him as he drove southbound on Highway 85. The man, a 46-year-old Mountain View resident, did not see the car in the next lane and almost ran into it.

The driver of the car that was almost hit apparently became irate and followed the Mountain View resident as he exited the freeway and turned onto Grant Road heading west, Wylie said. According to the 46-year-old, the man following him ultimately forced him off the road into the driveway of St. Timothy's Church on Grant Road near Cuesta Drive.

The man following the victim then got out of his car and continued yelling, pointing and "challenging him to a fight," Wylie said.

Although he was scared, the man being followed started to roll his window down to try to apologize. The enraged driver punched him, pulled off his prescription glasses, smashed them on the ground, got back in his car and left.

Witnesses at the church wrote down the man's license plate number as he left the church and the victim called the police.

Police tracked down the 42-year-old road rage suspect later that day at his home in Palo Alto, but because of the nature of the crimes and the man's story which "completely contradicted" the victim's story, he was not arrested and his name was not released, Wylie said.

A warrant was requested for the Palo Alto man on charges of child endangerment, because there were children in both cars, battery for hitting the victim and vandalism for breaking the victim's glasses.

The 42-year-old enraged driver had his 13-year-old son in the car. The victim had two children in the car -- a 9-year-old and a 3-year-old.

Comments

Posted by Guard
on May 18, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Send this guy to jail!

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I wanna know his name. So many PA residents operate under the wrong assumption that because they live in PA, they aren't subject to as much bed behavior as other mere mortals who live elsewhere.

I hope the kids are interviewed, the truth comes to light & this guy gets into trouble. Really, assaulting someone in the driveway of a *church* in front of *children*? Reprehensible. If it happened differently - even though there were witnesses, what happened to setting a good example for your children?

Posted by warrant?
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on May 18, 2011 at 12:23 pm

What kind of "warrant" was issued? If this is an arrest warrant, shouldn't his name be public?

Posted by Nayeli
on May 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I don't know what it is about this area. I have seen individuals honking and shouting at elderly drivers who were driving the speed limit!

Of course, I have almost felt road rage for those drivers who perpetually fail to use blinkers or who don't seem to understand driving laws.

I just wish that the DMV would make commercials or bill boards that reminded drivers, "USE YOUR BLINKER PROPERLY -- IT IS THE LAW!" along with other reminders for safe driving. Who knows? It might actually save a life!

Posted by Nayeli
on May 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm

@ cdk:

How do you know his race? Besides, what does his race have to do with violence?

Posted by Justica
on May 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

The justice system should pursue and punish all those who break the law, whether they run the International Monetary Fund or are Palo Alto residents with a foul attitude. Palo Altans are NOT above the law!

Posted by neighbor
a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 19, 2011 at 10:47 am

What's up with these assertions that because someone is from Palo Alto they think they're above the law? There are people like that in every town; to overgeneralize and assume all people in any one town are alike is just as bigoted as generalizing based on race, gender, or ethnicity.

Posted by Anon.
on May 19, 2011 at 10:47 am

I was just driving this area yesterday ... or at least highway 85 where roads merge onto it.

It is extremely annoying and does make me irate that when people merge onto the road some of them drive up as far as possible on the right passing cars have waited for every long inch of that drive along there, and these cars just zip up the right sides of the road and cut in whereever they can.

Apparently this is legal, they can be in that lane as long as they want. It is extremely annoying, and it happens on almost every onramp to 85. It's just a source of frustration, and when traffic gets particularly slow or bogged down I'm not surprised it pushes people over the edge.

People regularly do not let others change lanes.

People also regularly cut into traffic when they are moving towards merging off the highway instead of just joining the end of the line and waiting their turn like everyone. If you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you someone cuts into that space when they could just as well and as fast fall in behind you since they are going to exit anyway.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

Anon, all good points. Somehow I doubt that you follow, attack & punch out someone who yanks your chain in traffic ;-)

I can't stand driving 85 because of the dangerous drivers. People don't want to give themselves the time to get somewhere because then they'd have no excuse to be vile on the road.

neighbor - there really is a PA attitude of smugness & entitlement that permeates much of your town. It's not fair to paint everyone there w/that brush of course, but it's gotten to be a very common (yes, pun intended) attitude from many. It's unfortunate that we often remember the things that make us mad rather than the kindesses we hardly notice.

Posted by A driver and long-time resident
on May 19, 2011 at 11:10 am

Not long ago, I couldn't believe how one woman parked her car. Parking spaces in this lot were at right angles, and the backside of her car prevented me from pulling out. No matter what I did, I couldn't manuever out of my space where, had her car not been blocking mine, I'd have been able to pull straight out. When I'd given up, and was about to check around to see if I could find the car's owner, the woman came to move her car.

When I asked her why she was blocking my car, she really was not able to see she'd parked irregularly. It was not intentional. She said her "depth perception" was not good. So that may be why some people will leave large gaps ahead of them, wanting to be safe that sorry, at least while they are driving. It's not causing harm, and saves anyone else from being rear-ended.

When they are parking however, it would be wise for them to look in front of them, and in back, and see if anyone is being blocked. Her car could have been hit by a less careful and considerate driver, on the way out.

As for the road rage - that is a malady that is prevalent, and has been for many years. About 10 years ago, a (Caucasian) father, looking much like a Silicon Valley executive, holding two sons about age 3, went on a tirade at another person, IN a movie theatre, just because he thought they were rude to his wife. Where, in fact, it was the opposite. His wife was just impatient as she waited in line, and it was she that caused a confrontation over... nothing.

The little boys were scared - held in their dads arms, as he lost all control, charging two older ladies. So this out of control man's children should be more than just interviewed - as it's likely the father also has anger control issues at home, and elsewhere.

Posted by coooper
on May 19, 2011 at 11:37 am

If only drivers could communicate with each other by any means other than honking, tailgating, or road rage.

Posted by Denese
on May 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Accidents happen. Everyone at some point has thought they had the right of way and quickly realized they didn't. Maybe not to the point of cutting someone off.

However, this individual followed this man, followed him, he had plenty of time to turn around, but didn't. He forced him off the road on holy ground and then attacked him. This should say something about this person especially if he had his kids in the car with him.

Formal charges should be filed and yes his name released regardless of the race.

Posted by Enough!
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on May 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Name of Mr. Entitlement please.

Posted by Crying T
a resident of South of Midtown
on May 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

One of the people in their post is assuming that everyone reads and speaks English. When the day comes that the DMV gives oral, written and driving tests only in English, this is the only time DMV pamphlets, road signs, billboards, commercials, etc. would be helpful. There are too many people driving and bicycling who do not belong on the roadways and this includes English speaking people. I firmly believe the State of California through the DMV needs to re-vamp and make it tougher for all drivers to become licensed. And, it would certainly be nice to see some civility on the roadways. Road rage, rudeness and bullying through use of motor vehicles should not be tolerated and, if caught, these drivers/cyclists should be severely penalized.

Posted by Enough!
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on May 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

I was on that same street in that same place a month ago when my vehicle broke down right in the middle of the #2 lane. People pulled up, honked at me, screamed at me and nearly hit me. I finally opened the tailgate and propped a boogie board against it (in addition to my flashers) to show that I was stopped, got out of the truck and waited on the side of the road I was so afraid of getting hit. People are SO freaking RUDE.

Posted by oh boy
on May 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

Great message to send to the 13 yr. old. He will grow up and act just like his father.

Posted by Arrest Him
on May 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Neighbor:

I have friends who are long time Palo Alto PD. One story comes to mind that was shared with me. A Palo Alto officer pulled a 40ish year old woman over for running a stop sign. When asked for her license and registration she politely explained the the officer "oh no, you don't understand, I live in this town" and "you're supposed to give non-residents tickets, not residents". After about a 10 minute debate on the limits of the officer's authority the wife of a founder of a major computer company drove away with ticket in hand.

Posted by anonymous
on May 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I am confused - maybe just me, but I don't see that it was obsolutely clear that this man was the bad guy. Did the little children serve as witnesses?!

Such threads have come before...we can all agree drivers are pretty rude here. I have driven in the midwest, and didn't know what to expect, but recall several occasions where I was a little slow owing to newness to the particular situation presented there (would have been worthy of immediate horn blasts here)and guess what -- following drivers were patient and courteous! No, I am not slow elderly. I don't know if persons can tell if you are driving a rental car sometimes, but there seems to be more even temperament outside of CA.
I think CA DMV should conduct business entirely in English language, including all tests. It is ridiculous to offer 6 other languages, then be surprised when drivers can't read road signs. We are talking basic literacy AND safety.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Well, anonymous, the cops didn't arrest yet due to conflicting info, so the conflicting info must be pretty compelling. It may take awhile to sort out.

Given that there's some child endangerment, perhaps reckless driving, trespassing (church property in order to attack someone), damage to property & assault w/some witnessing to the acts by impartial witnesses, this isn't just flipping someone off who cuts in front of you. Remains to be seen what happens.

All the same, I'd love to know the name of the alleged agressor just for the fact they put their kids & others on the road at risk.

Posted by Gunn Class of '67
on May 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Doesn't it seem road rage increases exponentially when times are tough? Reality is we have little control over lost jobs, wars raging, government running amuk etc.....

With few outlets to vent frustrations, some drivers assume anonymity in their vehicles, engage in aggressive, even violent behavior without conscience.

Amazingly, off road, these same folks comply with cultural norms In daily face-to-face public interaction.

Posted by Equally frustrated
a resident of Woodside
on May 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Amen to Nayeli's comments!
"Why do some drivers stop 5-6 car lengths away from others at stop lights. Does it have something to do with their misunderstanding of the specific measurements of a "car length?" It is not a big deal -- unless those drivers are blocking other drivers from getting into turning lanes (and adding another series of lights to their commute)."

It floors me to see this every single day. Why do so many people drive like they're the only ones on the road? Do they ever look in their rearview mirror (except to check their make-up or teeth) to see how their selfish driving is affecting anyone else? This happens all the time on Sandhill, PageMill, Arastradero and all up and down El Camino. There is no safety reason to leave a car length of space when you're in a turn lane.

Posted by Palo Altan
on May 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I think the drivers in Palo Alto are polite. For instance, people almost never honk. Go to neighboring towns and the drivers are much more vocal with the horn.

I lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul for years and the drivers here are much more polite. Out there, they tailgate excessively while driving way past the speed limit on their highways. And many are passive-aggressive drivers.

Posted by neighbor
a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm

@Arrest Him. We all know that there are arrogant and entitled people who live in Palo Alto... and Mountain View, and Los Altos, and Portola Valley, and San Jose, etc. Yes, your story from the police officer confirms that there are such folks in Palo Alto. However, my point was that overgeneralizations are not supportable with facts and are just another form of bigotry. As a long-time Palo Alto resident, I always chuckle whenever someone asserts that ALL Palo Alto residents are rich, or arrogant, or smart, or whatever. Those assumptions make no more sense than assuming all who live in East Palo Alto are of any one race or ethnicity, or all men in San Francisco are gay, or all cops are bad. Such generalizations make no sense and usually lead to unnecessary contention.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Palo Altan, I wish we experienced the same drivers! Woo, PA can be deadly. But that doesn't mean those driving in PA live in PA. But really, try driving on Embarcadero and/or Oregon & see how not police drivers are. After you survive those roads, give Univ & Lytton a shot. Then, try Alma.

I would LOVE to see PAPD crack down on speeders on Embarcadero, espec., since there are so many homes & pedestrians. The other day, the traffic cop I saw was texting on his phone while ignoring people doing over 35 on Embarcadero.

Seriously, all local PDs could greatly increase revenue w/some crackdowns.

Posted by Driver
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 19, 2011 at 4:50 pm

What is wrong with leaving a car length between you and the car in front at a light. It won't make you wait any longer or miss the light.

It may be so as not to block a driveway or another good reason.

Posted by stretch
on May 19, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I don't understand - if there were witnesses at the scene who saw what happened and took down this idiot's license number (and I'm assuming the witness accounts matched that of the victim), why didn't the officers arrest the thug? So WHAT if his story "completely contradicted" the victim's. There were witnesses! There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, and, Dude, way to teach your children how to be macho bullies.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Driver, leaving a car length at a light means you shorten the lane for that light, so it does mean more drivers miss the light. I can also cause road rage to do so & frankly, what's the reason to do so? So if you get rear-ended you don't hit another car?

Posted by Outside Observer
on May 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Why doesn't it surprise me that the alleged "perp" in this did not have their side of the story told?

How typical in our culture of victimisation and entitlement.

In my experience most incidents of "road rage" are not only justified, but the supposed "victims" are lucky they weren't dragged from their cars and stomped to death in the gutter for their actions.

Bottom line, and one I think everyone can agree with. We license garbage in this country. As much as the government says driving is a "privilege", the reality is far different.. From incompetent drivers to uninsured drivers, anything and everything gets a license here.

Yet those of us who are competent and pay for required insurance also have to pay a premium for "uninsured motorist coverage".... Excuse me??? Uninsured motorist is illegal yet their numbers are so great we have to pay, and what we don't pay directly for people who can't legally drive, we pay indirectly in increased insurance premiums for people who never should have been licensed in the first place.

So, am I alone in this view... I don't think so. In Japan, USA drivers licenses are not accepted, while several European licenses are. Countries like Germany and Switzerland, where they take driving seriously, and the requirements for license are what we should use as example for our drivers licensing.

If we were to adopt German or Japanese requirements for licensing, we would get rid of perhaps 30% of the garbage on the road. Even 5% would be a good start, as their actions have negative synergy, particularly in traffic congestion. It just takes one slow driving idiot in the fast lane to impede hundreds of other vehicles.

Think about it....

Posted by Come on people
a resident of Mountain View
on May 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I grew up in Mountain View/Palo Alto. I realized when I left this area to Montana how civilized and courteous drivers can actually be. It is my honest opinion that this unfortunate event can be summed up in two words... Californian Drivers....: )

I have been tailgated, cut off, cussed at, flipped off more in one day in California then an entire year in Montana. Rather than blaming the police for treating Palo-Altans differently we should all take a good look at ourselves as ca.

How many people cut-off this rage-inflicted driver so many times that it drove him to this. Perhapse some of the people reading this very article unknowingly honked, gave him the finger, or saved 3 seconds of their precious lives in order to cut infront of him. Perhaps it was you who sent him so far over the edge that this man was the final straw. Unfortunate but a reality.

Everyone is commiserating with the driver who got punched even though his careless driving damned-near involved 2 fathers and 3 children in a car accident. But we are all mad at the police for not arresting the man who through the punch? I say this is just one man who has the guts to back up his finger (even if he is standing outside his 250+ hp confidence booster)

After seeing Californians drive on the road again after so long...I feel confident saying that this could have been anyone from the way they drive. And yet I see responses blaming the police. Tisk Tisk. People must stop hiding behind government scape-goat for everthing and assume their responsibilitys as citizens. We all pay road tax so why do we act like no one else except us should be on it.

In short- when somone turns on their indiicators - give them room.

If the light turns green - give em atleast 2 seconds before you honk.

Give atleast a car length or 2 between you and the car infront of you.

and on foot hill or central (AND ANY HIGHWAY) !right lane is for slowpokes and the left lane is for fast people!!! And if you are not overtaking someone stay in the right lane becasue someone will always be faster than you.

Stop blaming other people and make a community effort to drive better. don't blame the police and don't behave in a way that you normaly wouldn't just because you have 250+ hoprse power to back you up.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Um, really, this recent post defending someone who allegedly punched out someone else on church property, in front of children? Perhaps, if you really think this way, Montana is a better place for you than here. I agree that driving in Calif has really done downhill & as a native, it pisses me off - a lot of the drivers who yank my chain are foreign & don't care how they behave behind the wheel. Still, what this guy allegedly did is very far from ok as far as how the story was reported, which is what we're referring to. Backing up the middle finger w/violence? Not acceptable.

Posted by Chrisc
a resident of College Terrace
on May 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm

It seems to me that the people by the church wouldn't have written down the license number of the fleeing vehicle, unless they had a reason to; such as, they saw the incident as described by the victim.

Posted by Come on People
a resident of Mountain View
on May 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I am not defending his aciton. It was wrong and there is no excuse- but when I see people's natural response is to critize the police on how they handled the situation, it is troubling. No one is learning the main lesson here. Rather than trying to get ahead of eachother and let automibiles bring out our inner-@$$hole. We should look at our own driving. If people were more respectful of eachother in everyday affairs such as driving. then this and the many un-reported inciedents would natural decrease.

Posted by Carlito Waymsn
on May 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Who knows what really happened, the way some people behave once they are at the wheel is just outrageous, we see it every day, the more you miles you drive the more patience you should have, otherwise you may end up in the news.

Anyways, now speaking of the PAPD,until when they are going to start enforcing the speed limits in the major thoroughfares of Palo Alto? be Embarcadero, Alma, etc. Very often on Alma St, you can see drivers going 45 or 50 MPH, when the speed limit is 35. At least install some traffic lights on the long stretch(semi-highway) that is from Churchill to Meadow St.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 20, 2011 at 12:07 am

Come one People, all you really had to say, to be clearer, was what you said in your post recent post, because you really did come across as if you were defending his actions.

The rude driving might be inside California, but a good many of these drivers aren't from California and a lot of them haven't been here that long.

Posted by Disappointed
on May 20, 2011 at 12:33 am

Was this guy's name not arrested because he's some high flying exec or prominent figure in Palo Alto? Off course, any aggressor would contradict his victim's story.

I'm bothered most by the fact that the aggressor acted in this manner in front of children, particularly young children. What kind of parent is this guy? Do we really want him living in our community?

Posted by anonymous
on May 20, 2011 at 8:47 am

I suspect the leaving of extra car length is owing to person texting.

The other day, I was astonished to see a Palo Alto mom holding her phone right up to her head as she cruised along - no attempt to conceal or anything! - real arrogant. She attracted my attention because of how she was driving - that's when I looked closely and saw her holding the phone.

Comparing Montana to here may not make sense - a lot of open space?! We should compare metro suburban areas with a fair amount of cars.

Posted by Crabby
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on May 20, 2011 at 11:24 am

I've seen incidents of road rage here that are ludicrous and only bound to get worse as we have more traffic tie-ups and huger SUVs cutting off visibility.

Drivers have to remember how to yield rather than intentionally blocking cars and pedestrians. Rather than letting people back out of their driveways, cars will pull up while they just sit at red lights.
They park right in front of driveways while they pick up their kids at school and then THEY look annoyed when you put a note on their car with an arrow pointing to the driveway THEY blocked.

Posted by anonymous
on May 20, 2011 at 11:38 am

What I meant above was, a certain amount of drivers are inattentive and self-absorbed, not outwardly aggressive, but there STILL is the result of being a danger on the road (texting Mommy above) or inconveniencing others and being rude to them (as Crabby posted about witnessing)

Posted by Don't get it
on May 20, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I don't understand why he wasn't immediately arrested. There were witnesses and road rage is every bit as dangerous as DUI or speeding.

Posted by Mary
on May 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

What about certain drivers who don't seem to grasp the rules regarding changing lanes? I have seen certain drivers who quickly decide to go from the far left lane -- through several lanes of moving traffic -- to make a sudden right turn. I have also seen some drivers who will literally STOP in a moving lane so they can "get over" in order to make a turn. It is extremely dangerous...especially on a highway or high traffic area."

Ditto Amen on this! The car length thing makes me pull my hair out each and every day. Watching "invisible cars" (as I labelled the vast space between cars) get thru lights while I wait idlying away at another red light and waste more precious fuel.

The people who slow to a stop in left lanes to merge right is a other frustration but not entirely the fault of just that one driver. If everyone followed the rule: "pass on the left, slower traffic keep right" then this situation would not occur. It's illogical to have cars pass on the right when cars are trying to get into that lane to exit the highway.

Clearly driving is a frustrating experience that has a huge impact on our lives, but nothing justifies turning that frustration into a violent, physical confrontation. Shame on that driver. I hope the children are never on the receiving end of that kind of uncontrollable, violent anger.

Posted by narnia
on May 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm

it's only a big deal if your reflexes are not good enough- I , for instance, put my foot on the pedal even before the light changes and if I'm the first car in line in a few seconds I'll be several car lengths ahead of the other cars. What amazes me is the slow reactions. Some people are not at all prepared to go as the lights changes. They wait until the car in front of them start to start too and then they get annoyed because I left at least a car length in front of me (yes, I'm concerned about being hit from behind, is it unusual?NO). But annoyed or not, those are the rules. If you don't like it don't drive..and please get going when the light changes. Does it irritate me when you don'? yes, but maybe you are elderly or a newly minted driver of any age, or your arthritis may not allowed quick reflexes. The impatient driver? Well, don't waste your time with pointless irritation. You too make mistakes and irritate other people. No?

Mountain View's Hangen Szechuan to close after 25 years
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 2,322 views

Populism: A response to the failure of the elites: Palo Alto edition

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,482 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,310 views