Menlo man fakes police lights with cellphone app

23-year-old arrested for impersonating a police officer

A 23-year-old Menlo Park man was arrested Monday night for allegedly impersonating a police officer by using a cellphone application that flashes red and blue light, and then pretending to be a witness, police said.

The victim called police around 11 p.m. while sitting in her boyfriend's car on Campbell Lane when David Endliss reportedly flashed the lights.

Police discovered that Endliss, instead of witnessing the incident, allegedly instigated it.

Endliss was booked into San Mateo County jail.

— Sandy Brundage

Comments

Posted by say what?
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Apr 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Does anyone who read this article understand what happened?

Posted by What did he ask her to do?
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Apr 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Girl was sitting in car at 11PM. Sees flashing red & blue lights as if person is a police officer. Fake police officer pretended he saw someone else pretending to be a fake police officer so he called the real police, pretending to be a witness. Real police decided he was the one who was the fake police officer. Why would he call himself in? To brag to the police?

Posted by MenloMan
a resident of Menlo Park
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Hahahaha I went to middle school with that guy. He was always full of it. What a bum!

Posted by say what?
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Apr 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Was the woman sitting in the car with her boyfriend or by herself? Was she just "sitting" or doing something else? Why is the boyfriend not listed as a victim? Was this a practical joke or some kind of sex crime? The story is so confusing.

1 person likes this
Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Apr 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm

The only victim here are the taxpayers who have to pay to prosecute and perhaps house this guy in the big house if he goes there. This is actually really funny. I think the company who developed the app should be arrested, too, if the cops are gonna get arrest happy. As apps go, it's pretty stupid, but at least it's not vicious like the dog fighting one.

Posted by What a doofus!
a resident of Mountain View
on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:22 pm

There's an app for that? hahaha Pretty clear that it was ONE victim and that SHE called the police while sitting in her boyfriends car. You must be a friend of this guy geesh

2 people like this
Posted by david endliss yes the one from this article
a resident of Menlo Park
on Aug 19, 2017 at 7:34 am

OK for everyone who doesn't know obviously what really happened I am David Endliss the supposed idiot you are all making fun of. I was at my parents house and saw a car with two people smoking a meth pipe and having sex afterwards so I tried to make sure these "victims" left and didn't come back to do the same thing. I used the app and yes in hindsight it wasn't the best idea but I would do anything to protect my family. So I used the app in the car and drove off I never said anything to the people or did anything to impersonate any officer of the law. The courts agreed with me and dropped all charges to a simple disturbing the peace which was ridiculous as it is. When the police came up after the two people called they knocked on my door and asked if I saw anything I said that I saw the two of them in front of the house doing drugs and other inappropriate things to do in public.The police then assumed it was me and arrested me without any viable proof which I ended up admitting it because it was so ridiculous to begin with. So the police basically said it's OK to smoke meth in a car in a residential neighborhood and have sex in plain sight when (I later found out why they were in the neighborhood) the girl was supposed to be babysitting a neighbor's 7-8 year old kid

He said – she said – who is lying? Justice Brett Kavanaugh or PA resident Christine Ford
By Diana Diamond | 69 comments | 5,455 views

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 807 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 573 views