Transients may have started East Palo Alto fire | News | Palo Alto Online |

News

Transients may have started East Palo Alto fire

Officials continue to investigate suspicious blaze on Capitol Avenue

Investigators are looking into the possibility that transients started a suspicious fire at an abandoned house owned by the Menlo Park Fire Protection District early Friday morning (March 11), a fire spokesman said Monday (March 14).

East Palo Alto police spotted the fire shortly after midnight at an abandoned house at 2293 Capitol Ave., which the Menlo Park Protection Fire District purchased as part of a long-term plan to expand one of its fire stations, Fire Chief Harold Schapelhouman said.

No one was injured in the one-alarm blaze, and the flames were under control within 20 minutes. The fire started on the outside of the home, which is one reason investigators considered the incident suspicious, Schapelhouman said.

"Unless someone was cooking outside, we're not sure why the fire would have started," he said.

Schapelhouman said there have been problems with transients living in department-owned properties in the past, and they might have started the fire, but he won't know until the investigation is completed. All of the utilities had been shut off at the home, Schapelhouman said.

"The house didn't spontaneously combust," he said.

The building was vacant and scheduled to be demolished later this year.

— Bay City News Service

What is democracy worth to you?
Support local journalism.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by someone
a resident of another community
on Mar 14, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Only reason they'd follow up and look into whos behind it is because Menlo Park Fire is upset they didn't get to set fire to it and train!


Like this comment
Posted by hahaha
a resident of another community
on Mar 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm

BS- Fire department trying to recoup money on fire insurance.


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Umami Burger calls it quits in downtown Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 15 comments | 9,131 views

Couples and Premarital : "Who we are . . . depends in part . . . on who we love."
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 2,485 views

Flying: How much is enough? It's personal.
By Sherry Listgarten | 9 comments | 2,051 views

Wait, wait – we’re working on it
By Diana Diamond | 9 comments | 1,185 views

My Pet Peeves
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 7 comments | 1,085 views

 

Short story writers wanted!

The 34th Annual Palo Alto Weekly Short Story Contest is now accepting entries for Adult, Young Adult and Teen categories. Send us your short story (2,500 words or less) and entry form by March 27, 2020. First, Second and Third Place prizes awarded in each category. Sponsored by Kepler's Books, Linden Tree Books and Bell's Books.

Contest Details