Steve Jobs takes third medical leave of absence

Apple CEO, 55, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has announced that he will take another medical leave of absence.

Jobs, 55, sent a letter to employees making the announcement. The three-paragraph letter was posted to the media on Monday (Jan. 17).

It is the third medical leave he has taken since being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2004, which he said was in remission. In January 2009, Jobs took a six-month medical leave. In June 2009, he announced he had undergone a liver transplant.

Jobs' statement comes a day before the company will announce its first-quarter earnings.

Mobile-phone provider Verizon Wireless and Apple announced on Jan. 11 that Apple's iPhone 4 will be available on the Verizon Wireless network in February.

"At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company," he stated in the letter.

"I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple's day-to-day operations. I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011."

Cook is Apple's chief operating officer. Cook took the helm while Jobs was recovering from his transplant in 2009.

Jobs, who lives in Palo Alto, did not indicate how long he expected to be on leave.

"I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy," he wrote.

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Posted by Anon.
on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

Very sorry to hear this news, best wishes for your speedy recovery Steve Jobs.

Posted by Julia
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:15 am

Best wishes to Steve for a speedy recovery.

Posted by Sylvia
a resident of Monroe Park
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:30 am

Sorry to hear more medical issues seem to have come up for Steve Jobs. He's created an amazing company and a long line of successful products. I hope he makes a speedy and complete recovery.

Posted by Steven Kunes
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Good luck and best wishes, Steve, to you and your family during your leave of absence. I'm sure you will be back in full swing before you know it. We miss you and we love you!!!!

Posted by best wishes
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Best wishes to Mr. Jobs.

I hope his replacement can convince stockholders that he can do a competent job and that today's 8% drop in the Apple stock price (in the European stock markets) is unwarranted.

Posted by scosro
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Steve, as a many year friend and neighbor - I wish you the very best for a quick recovery

Posted by Elinor
on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Wishing all the best as you recover and get strong and well.I always enjoy seeing tou walking around the neighborhood and sometimes with your son. You hqve passed our home on Webster Streetvseveral times.
Gt well soon.

Posted by Elinor
on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Sorry for the mistakes in my previous message.
My IPad is new and I am not 100% up to speed...BUT...I love it.
Thanks

Posted by Neighbor
on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

You deserve your privacy. I hope you get that and your health. Take time to recover, surround yourself with people you love and excellent doctors. We all wish you the best.

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm

All good wishes and prayers to you for a swift and complete recovery. Your presence is felt at my household daily with your computers and i-Pods, and we dearly thank you.

Be the first to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Rose International Market reopening soon in Mountain View

The HSR Decision
By Steve Levy | 8 comments | 1,249 views

We need a new garage downtown Palo Alto -- forget about being politically correct
By Diana Diamond | 6 comments | 1,119 views

Couples: Mirror, Mirror on the . . . Fight?!
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 960 views

Know Before You Buy: Understanding Senior Living Facility Agreements
By Max Greenberg | 0 comments | 580 views

Short story writers wanted!

The 33rd Annual Palo Alto Weekly Short Story Contest is now accepting entries for Adult, Young Adult (15-17) and Teen (12-14) categories. Send us your short story (2,500 words or less) and entry form by March 29. First, Second and Third Place prizes awarded in each category.

Contest Details