Freak accident traps man between parked cars

A freak accident trapped an older man between two parked cars in the Stanford Shopping Center parking lot Sunday afternoon, Palo Alto fire officials reported.

Battalion Chief Chris Woodard said the man was walking between the two cars about 2:30 p.m. when one car was hit by a third car, pushing the cars together and pinning the man at the knees.

He was freed by a fire crew and taken to Stanford Hospital for examination and treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, Woodard reported. The parked cars received minor to moderate damages while the third car had major front-end damage, he said.

The driver of the car that hit the first vehicle was a teenage girl using a provisional license and under her father's supervision, according to several reports.

-- Palo Alto Online staff

Comments

Posted by neighbor
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jan 16, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You're kidding about the parked cars being "injured," right? The man's knees being injured I get, the cars being injured, not so much! Chuckle of the day....

Posted by citations?
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jan 16, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Was the car driver cited? Hitting 2 parked cars requires a certain level of incompetence.

Posted by been hit
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:14 am

In response to 'neighbor'. Of course I have seen injured vehicles most every day. Haven't you ever seen an 'owie'? (ow-eee?) or dent on a car?

Also, my wife's car got the same treatment only hers was the first parked car hit on the side which in turn went into the side of another parked car. Only two non dented pieces were the hood and trunk lid. Our car was a convertible, so the top was not dented The driver was not cited because it happened on private (Stanford) property.

Posted by Driver
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:39 am

Were the parking brakes applied to the parked cars? It amazes me that people put their cars in park and no parking brake. I feel sure that if the parked cars had used their brakes then they would not easily be moved by a slow moving vehicle. I assume of course that the car that hit them was moving slowing in a parking lot.

Use your parking brake.

Posted by Koa
a resident of Mountain View
on Jan 17, 2011 at 9:32 am

The driver was a teenage girl in a BMW. There were a total of 5 cars involved, 4 of them parked.

Posted by Anon.
on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:20 am

>> A freak accident trapped an older man between
>> two parked cars in the Stanford Shopping Center
>> parking lot Sunday afternoon, Palo Alto fire
>> officials reported.

This is one of those weird examples of just how bad
the reporting at Palo Alto Online is.

What does "an older man" mean, and how did the reporter
know he was "older" and does it have any bearing on the
story if it is not qualified or relevent?

Huh?

Posted by Anon.
on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

By the way, your parking brake is not going to do a lot to keep
a car that is hit by another car from moving. Yes, it adds some
friction, but try using your parking brake to stop sometime ...
or better yet remember those times when you forgot to disengage
your parking break and took a second to realize it because the
car still moves with the parking break engaged.

Yes, better than nothing though, and keep the transmission
engaged too.

Posted by Palo Parent
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

Those darn freaks and all the "accidents" that they continue to cause!

Posted by Get well soon.
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:25 am

Drivers need to pay more attention and SLOW DOWN. Share the road safely. The driver should be appropriately punished for this negligent behavior.

I am very sorry to hear about this gentleman's injuries. I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

Posted by kc
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:25 am

Not cited? I don't get that. Teen drivers aren't experienced, but hitting parked cars? Was she parking or backing out of a spot? Mommy and Daddy shouldn't let her drive the BMW ever again!!

Posted by Not a newspaper
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:32 am

Do not confuse the Weekly with a newspaper--their reporting is shoddy, they are more interested in cheerleading for the city elite, they are after ad revenue and their censorship of this forum is an affront to any real journalist.
When they do report news, it is days after the other local papers and is full of mistakes.

Posted by Driver
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:42 am

According to the Post, she was a provisional driver under instruction from her father who was sitting beside her.

Posted by member
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:53 am

Just two days ago, last Friday (Jan 14) around 6 pm, as I got off the train and walked towards my car, I noticed a police car flashing lights in the Caltrain Parking Lot at the Palo Alto train station on the Alma side, at the junction with Hamilton. It turned out that a fairly large red truck had hit the first parked car, and pushing it strongly side way to another parked car. Both parked cars were badly damaged. One person could be really hurt if he or she were pinned between these two parked car. As one of the Caltrain riders who park the car nearby, I felt lucky that I did not park near the junction with Hamilton, and would sure like to know that the offending driver of the red truck (as if it was driving into the parking lot and turning left too early) should be cited.

Posted by Dumb Dad
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:00 pm

On Monday morning it is reported that the accident was caused by a 17 year old girl with a provisional driver's license learning to drive her parent's BMW in the Stanford Shopping Center parking lot.

As a Parent I have to ask: why choose Stanford Shopping Center to teach your daughter to drive on a busy afternoon when the parking lot is full of cars? Take your daughter to an empty parking lot, say a nearby high school on a Sunday evening, which is where my sons learned to drive.

Only in Palo Alto would a kid learn to drive in a BMW. My kids learned in a VW bug with a stick shift. No fear of putting your foot on the wrong peddle!!!

I hope this inconsiderate Father gets to pay for all the auto repairs and the medical bills of the elderly 81 year old visitor from Wisconsin who was innocently walking through the Shopping Center parking lot!!!

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Yes, very dumb decision by the dad. Learning to drive in parking lots is a great idea - but they have to be empty of other vehicles first - doh!

Posted by Cody's Mom
on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Was there when the accident occurred. Girl was with her father in the car and was driving too fast!!!! She was turning down a row of cars, and hit the back of the first car which was pushed into the others.

Man was "elderly" and one can see this from his appearance, so the paper got that right!

My issue is that there were 4 fire engines and numerous other emergency vehicles that converged on the site!!! Definitely overkill and an obvious slow day for the "City". Too many vehicles for one man pinned between two cars. Needed one ambulance, one firetruck and maybe assorted police. Probably 20 emergency vehicles there!! The man was injured...knee crushed and swollen, however, the cost for the emergency staff is very high for this many to be called in!!

The young lady was in tears, and very embarrassed with hundreds of onlookers. But, her father should take the blame (his insurance will be hit hard) for letting her drive in a VERY busy parking lot. The center was packed!!! Hopefully, she won't be driving any time soon, and that others have learned that the speed limit in a shopping center parking lot, is not that of a thoroughfare. There will be a lawsuit for sure...maybe this will teach her more about how she drives???? Hopefully the injured man will be able to walk again...he will need possible knee replacement.

Posted by I Second That
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I second Dumb Dad's and Hmmm's comments. What new driver would want to drive in a full lot? Dad is probably one of those A-type personalities who insisted, over daughters protest, that she drive at Stanford Shopping Center. Hopefully he didn't actually make her drive there to practice and instead they were there to shop and he just had the bad judgment to make her drive.

Posted by anciana
on Jan 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I could not disagree more with Not a Newspaper. I feel that we are very lucky to have an independent local paper like the Weekly here. I believe their reporting is serious, through, and fair. Perhaps if Not a Newspaper lived in Palo Alto, he would have a better idea of the good qualities of the Weekly.

Posted by Agree with NAN
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Anciana-people that live at stanford have access to the weekly. I agree with not a newspaper-the reporting is not thorough and the weekly had long ago stopped being a source for accurate, timely news reports. Plus we have two other truly independent local papers, daily post and daily news. The weekly is beholden to certain people and organizations in the city and their reporting reflects that bias.

Posted by anon
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Give the girl and her dad a break. Sure, it was a lapse of judgment, and it could have ended much worse, but there's no need to completely flay them. Yes, it's the father's fault for letting an inexperienced driver practice in a full parking lot; Stanford Shopping Center's lot is a complete nightmare. Blame also falls on the daughter if she was really speeding in the lot, but her father should have caught that and made her slow down.

Sometimes dumb things like this happen, and while it's regrettable, it doesn't look like there was any negligence or anything. I doubt the girl or the father are the horrible, evil people some of the comments make them out to be, and I don't see how comments whose sole purpose is to express the hope that the father and daughter are made to pay. As long as they realize their mistake instead of trying to get out of it through litigation, that's fine by me.

Posted by Teacer Mom
on Jan 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm

The girl had her provisional license, give her a break. She needed more experience and she'd only get that by driving!

Posted by when I was younger
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm

The article does not say how much driving experience the young woman had. Maybe 1 week. Maybe 1 year. I know that my parents were driving with me to all kinds of places before I had my full license (decades ago). I'd rather she got this experience with a provisional license and her parents in the car, before doing it on her own .

On the other hand, if I ever did something illegal, I'd fully expect a citation or worse from the police. Crashing into a parked car has to be some kind of legal violation.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 18, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Give the girl & her dad a break? No way. Neither deserve it, because they injured someone & damaged multiple vehicles.

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Just awful; I hope the injured man will be okay. Will all of his medical bills be paid by the father of the driver? And give the girl a break? I think not. My compassion is for the victim of the accident, not someone learning to drive in a crowded parking lot.

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,313 views

Salt & Straw Palo Alto to open Nov. 23

Lakes and Larders (part 2)