Five-car pile-up in underpass stalls Oregon

Five vehicles were involved in an apparent rear-end chain-reaction crash Wednesday afternoon, resulting in traffic backups westbound. No one was injured, fire officials reported.

Roger Bloom, head of operations, said it is unknown why the crash occurred or why so many vehicles were involved.

Comments

Posted by kt
a resident of Mountain View
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:45 am

They probably crashed because people speed under that underpass and the turns to exit onto Alma are so sharp...people slam on their brakes to turn. It was just a matter of time before someone got rearended there!!!!!

Posted by gina alexander
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I forget when probably a few years back that this was the same
an ambulance flip over after being rear ended. unless people
learn to slow down especially when it rains accidents will continue
to happen.

Posted by Marvin Lee
a resident of Community Center
on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Which direction? I use Oregon Exprressway about 6 times a day every day and heavy traffic creates problems depending on the time of day and direction of the traffic. Your story is incomplete. Compare just morning and late afternoon or early evening trafffic. Also the day of the week increasess traffic significantly at different hours. You almost never see police during heavy traffic hours but a parked police car would help during rush hours.

Posted by speeders
on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm

People speed in both directions along the whole length of Oregon Expressway. The Alma underpass is safe at the posted speed limit, but becomes treacherous if just one car is speeding. This is a residential area with lots of cross streets and crosswalks. I wish the cops patrolled this area more aggressively.

Posted by speeders
on Jan 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm

P.S. A 5 car pileup usually means that at least 4 of those cars were driving recklessly for the conditions. I hope the cops charge all of them.

Posted by MD in Palo Alto
on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

Has anyone ever realized that the REASON that everyone speeds on Oregon Expressway is because it is near impossible to even get across Palo Alto in a reasonable time. Yes, i understand why they have done that -- same reason there are very few public access ways around Marin County... because they want to go back to a "heyday" of perfection of the 1950s when the Bay Area was sparsely populated and home to the privileged few who could afford to buy a house here.

It is the most incredibly frustrating thing that El Camino and Alma are somewhat open, but it takes forever on thrru roads like Oregon Expwy or Charleston or Churchill to actually get to the bulk of the roads. I spend around 10,000 dollars each summer getting my kids into just the "right" summer programs via PA Online, and it takes at least 45 minutes each way to get my kids to and from the area of the Lucie Stern Center or God forbid, to multiple different places at bizarre times to both drop them off and pick them up.
I have tried every single public transport option known to us in this area, including bus 22, shuttles, and rideshare. The entire system around here gives lip service to being "like Europe" but comes nowhere close.

So yes, by the time that I drive slowly down a congested El Camino, turn onto Oregon Expressway, and either exit to Alma to get a thru road a bit more realistically speed posted at above the typical "25 mph" but completely clogged no matter what time of day my kids are all going back and forth to all the services I have bought and have to still work for... yeah, my frustration is at an all time high and I try to get down Oregon as quickly as it will allow me. Do I do it while in the car with my kids? No. I just realize that I have to give up any and all personal plans to drive around the area we have paid so much money to be a part of, leave at least 45 minutes early to get my kids to and from the very costly 5 hours a day camps, then try to just stay in the midtown area slowly going insane as I am expected to be the physician breadwinner as well as the "best mother" who cant let my kids miss out on science and art camps, ballet, piano, violin, rock climbing, gymnastics, math, and astronomy camps, to name a few.

So when it comes to getting through PA so I can get groceries or earn money as a physician, yeah, the pressure is great to get there as quickly as I can.

Options?

Posted by MD in Palo Alto
on Jan 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

Options?

Posted by Resident
on Jan 14, 2011 at 1:56 pm

MD

Get your kids to ride their bikes. Sorry for such an obvious answer but unless your kids are under the age of 10, they should be learning independence and getting there themselves.

If you start by walking and biking with them to school in kindergarten they will learn that their bike and their feet is their mode of transport. If you drive them to school in kindergarten, they will learn that their mode of transport is the mommie taxi. If you start driving them in kindergarten, you will more than likely be driving them until they expect you to buy them a car in high school.

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Post-election reflections -- and sponges
By Diana Diamond | 13 comments | 1,688 views

Couples: Philosophy of Love

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 936 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 303 views