An unattended candle was the cause of a stubborn fire in a detached garage Thursday morning in the 800 block of Loma Verde Avenue in south Palo Alto, fire officials reported.
The blaze destroyed a detached garage at the rear of the property that was full of stored items and also served as a living unit.
The fire broke out shortly after 8 a.m., not 9 a.m. as initially reported.
Battalion Chief Niles Broussard reported Thursday afternoon that the initial report indicated there might be hazardous materials in the garage, including ammunition and propane tanks. But Broussard said it was later determined that there were none, although some propane tanks were stored near the rear of the house.
He said the garage "had an extremely heavy fire load" that included vehicle parts, tires, clothing, tools and miscellaneous storage items, he said.
The fire was suppressed in about 75 minutes, but salvage and overhaul took about 3 hours.
"This was a very stubborn fire and the fact that we could not gain access for hose lines to reach the seat of the fire delayed our suppression efforts," Broussard said.
The firefighters concentrated on preventing the fire from spreading to nearby homes.
The resident who reported the fire was take to a hospital for a precautionary exam, Broussard said.
There were 31 Palo Alto Fire Department personnel who responded to the fire, along with three firefighters from the Mountain View Fire Department.