Attempted sexual assault reported in Palo Alto

Victim fights off assailant in Thursday attack on Alma Street

Police are investigating reports of an attempted sexual assault in Palo Alto early Thursday morning.

At 12:30 a.m., a girl was walking in the 100 block of Alma Street after having pizza with friends when she was allegedly knocked down from behind by a man who tried to pull down her pants and assault her, police said.

The victim screamed and fought off the man, who fled on Alma Street along nearby train tracks, possibly through El Palo Alto Park, police said. The victim ran toward El Camino Real and found her mother.

The suspect is described as white, 6 feet and 1 inch tall, 175 pounds, and in his late 20s or early 30s. He had short dark hair and a well-groomed goatee. He was seen wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.

Anyone with information on the suspect or incident is requested to call Palo Alto police at 650-329-2413.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by about time
a resident of South of Midtown
on Nov 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm

This attack happened 4 days ago. About time it got reported here.

Posted by sure
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Nov 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by about time
a resident of South of Midtown
on Nov 28, 2010 at 6:48 pm

The description is specific enough that the police should profile everyone they see on the street. Did he leave any physical evidence at the scene, like fingerprints or blood?

Posted by PAresident
on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:23 am

PAresident is a registered user.

Please, for your own safety, do not walk alone (especially in the dark)... women, men & children included.

Posted by JustMe
on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:35 am

JustMe is a registered user.

I read the article about excessive tree trimming and was amused to the point of nearly responding with a string of puns. Then I read this article and all humor left me.

Caliresident, I agree this is a serious crime, but what are you proposing? You want Palo Alto to pose policemen at all intersections throughout the city? Do you want to be taxed at a rate high enough to pay all those officers and their pensions?

The Palo Alto police are top-notch, and I am very glad we have such a good police force. But they cannot be everywhere 24/7, nor would we want them to be. (Police state?)I am sure they are VERY interested in finding the criminal here, and I support them in that effort. I also have two daughters. This is why I watch them like hawks.

I am interested though in the age of the victim here. What kind of perpetrator are we talking about?

Posted by Nayeli
on Nov 30, 2010 at 8:17 am

Nayeli is a registered user.

@ about time:

I don't think that this description was quite specific enough. I have seen at least 150 guys in Palo Alto that would fit that description quite well. In fact, it almost describes my husband (white, 6' tall, brown hair, short goatee on his chin -- except that his hair is kind of long...and he was watching a movie at home with me at the time).

It would be nice to have an even better description to make a better profile. Surely there was something else that would make the description better?

Advice to parents: 12:30 A.M? Don't let your kids be out of the house unsupervised at night.

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Post-election reflections -- and sponges