Bicyclist injured in mystery accident in Palo Alto

A man riding his bicycle was struck by a vehicle at about 8:56 a.m. Tuesday morning (Nov. 16) and sustained injuries, a Palo Alto Fire Department spokesman said.

The adult male was reported on the ground at about 8:56 a.m. in front of Palo Alto Commons senior housing in the 4000 block of El Camino Way, Battalion Chief Geo Blackshire said.

It was earlier thought that a vehicle struck the man, but that has been determined now that no vehicle was involved, he said.

No other information was immediately available and the incident is still under investigation, he said.

Comments

Posted by Joe
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:47 am

> A man riding his bicycle was struck by a vehicle ...

I don't believe a car was involved in this incident. Can you check again?

Any news on the dad and child struck yesterday morning on San Antonio and Nita? Anything on the boy brought into the Fire Station 4 yesterday afternoon found in the bike lane on Meadow? How about the pedestrian struck by the minvan on Middlefield last night?

Posted by chavey
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Nov 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm

way too many close calls on the street of palo alto (middlefield and meadow) in the past few month. We need a crack down from the police on the speed and turns taken by cars at red lights.

Posted by Bicycles obey NO TRAFFIC LAWS
a resident of Community Center
on Nov 16, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Time to severely crack down on the bicycles. They are CLEARLY disobedient. Bicycles are FAST becoming a menace.

Need severe and urgent crackdown.

Posted by Bike Commuter
a resident of Ventura
on Nov 16, 2010 at 4:00 pm

To "...NO TRAFFIC laws":

I take issue with your accusation that all cyclists are scofflaws. My partner and I both bike to work and obey all traffic laws. We wear safety vests, use bright lights and stop at lights and stop signs. We also are ever vigilant for opening car doors, distracted drivers and pedestrians.

Educate, Don’t Hate!

Posted by Cars obey NO TRAFFIC LAWS
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Time to severely crack down on the cars. They are CLEARLY disobedient. Cars are FAST becoming a menace.

Need severe and urgent crackdown.

Posted by Resident
on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I come across many cylists abusing the rules of the road and I also come across some drivers doing the same.

The latest thing I have seen cyclists doing is putting up their hands to stopped cars at 4 way stops to show that they have no intention of stopping. This arrogant attitude by cyclists does not endear themselves to the responsible drivers who are obeying the rules and expect other road users to do the same.

Posted by Bicycle victim
on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Time to crack down on cars AND bicyclists

I was run over by a bicyclist who did not even slow down and plowed into my back 2 weeks ago while I was walking on a trail at the Baylands. The cyclist who was trying to pass us and saw only at the last second that another cyclist was coming from the other direction, preventing her from passing us, had done nothing to even let us know she was trying to pass, and did not even slow down. I was black and blue with scrapes and bruises. I had to go to urgent care and I still have a headache from it that is not going away.

Everybody needs to calm down, car drivers and bicyclists. Let's not forget that pedestrians are the most vulnerable of all.

Posted by I bike
on Nov 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

So I see all forms of traffic breaking laws every day, but when the citizens would rather have more libraries than the city can afford, traffic enforcement officers get laid off.

Posted by Bike commuter
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I commute by car and bike depending upon the day. Whether one group disobeys laws more than the other is debatable, but one thing's for sure, bicyclists are way more vulnerable. Give them a break. They are also good for the environment.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:15 am

Bike commuter, I drive, my partner cycles. I agree w/you re the environment & vulnerability. But when I see cyclists constantly violating the laws, I gotta wonder at their stupidity because they know they're more vulnerable. That said, a lot of my partner's near misses are due to driver error, not his. When he was hit some months back in downtown, it was all the driver's fault. Frankly, I'm glad he damaged her car in that accident - I hope it was a reminder for her of her major screw up.

Posted by Donald
a resident of South of Midtown
on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:59 am

I don't run stop signs on my bike, but many drivers think I do. Here is how it often plays out. I approach a 4-way stop, slow down and stop while waiting for a car crossing from the left or turning in front of me. When it is my turn I start to go, but a driver approaching from the right rolls through the stop sign without looking or stopping and is rolling into my path. The driver sees me at the last second, perhaps because I yell. The driver's first view of me is as I am moving into the intersection, so the driver thinks I ran the stop sign in front of him/her, when it was actually the opposite. They weren't looking on the approach and didn't see me stopped there so they think I didn't stop. Too many drivers rely on peripheral vision and don't turn their heads to look. They will see cars but not bicyclists. I have had this happen over and over, and I won't cross in front of a car until the driver has looked me in the eye and I know they are going to stop and wait for me. Sometimes I do hold up a hand to let them know that it is my turn, other times I stop again in the intersection and the driver rolls on by without ever knowing I am there and that he/she violated my right of way.

Posted by Bicycle victim
on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Again, the most vulnerable people out there are PEDESTRIANS, not bicyclists, and both drivers and bicyclists are too careless and dangerous for pedestrians.

Posted by Simple solution!
a resident of Community Center
on Nov 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm

We need an aggressive round of ticketing one a month for these violations - Bicycles or Cars.

We need to bring the number of tickets issued to bicyclists to a non-zero number.

Posted by I bike
on Nov 18, 2010 at 7:50 am

works for me.
Just put cops on middlefield and have them ticket all the speeding vehicles, bikes, cars or even pedestrians. ;-) Cars on middlefield are easy, if you see one, its speeding.

Then move to university, ticket anyone that ignores traffic lights, this will be mostly pedestrians.

Then move to any street on route to the farmer's market or school and watch the stop signs, you can catch whole families on bikes not stopping. Also parents with late children being driven in cars are really scary drivers and ignore most laws.

That ought to keep traffic enforcement busy.

Posted by neighbor
on Nov 18, 2010 at 8:38 am

Or station them by the intersection of Coulomb and Maybell by the school, to ticket all the drivers and cyclists who run the stop sign. And station them by the entrance to the bike path at Georgia when the high school lets out -- don't we have a bike helmet law? It's probably a good idea to enforce it, since half the kids don't seem to be looking where they are going (or sharing the path/looking out for pedestrians or cars).

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Post-election reflections -- and sponges