News

Three arrested in string of Menlo Park burglaries

 

After weeks of dogged investigation, Menlo Park police have nabbed three men allegedly behind the recent rash of home burglaries in the Willows neighborhood, the department announced on Oct. 7.

Two suspects called East Palo Alto home, 19-year-old Victor Esparza and 18-year-old Ricardo Esparza. Jesus Lara, 18, resides in Hayward and East Palo Alto.

Last month, describing the crime spree as "unprecedented," Menlo Park police met with Willows residents to discuss the string of break-ins.

Ten burglaries and two attempts occurred in September -- nine within one week -- during the hours of 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., when empty homes made inviting targets.

Investigator continue to chase leads. Anyone with information about the crimes or suspects can call detectives at 650-330-6364 or 650-330-6363.

— Sandy Brundage

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Kia Darling-Hammond
a resident of Stanford
on Oct 9, 2010 at 10:16 am

Re: Three arrested in string of Menlo Park burglaries

I truly hope that the culprits behind the robberies are stopped. That having been said, if the three "suspects" named in this article turn out to be innocent, they have just become Google searchable as possible criminals. This has implications for their futures, whether they work or pursue additional education.

It is, frankly, irresponsible to present any person who has not been found guilty of a crime in such a way. I am deeply disappointed by this article. I feel deep sympathy for the families of these young men. I hope to see a more responsible approach to news reporting in the future.


Like this comment
Posted by C.G.
a resident of Menlo Park
on Oct 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Pretty simple not to have your name associated with this type of headline...don't give anyone reason to! I don't feel the least bit of pity for thugs like this.


Like this comment
Posted by rachel gomez
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Oct 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm

This is out right wrong it should be crime that the names of these "suspected" individuals has been released to the main stream of the internet what ever happened to innocent till proven guilty????.....Now they are going to be forever stained with this article. Now their lives are ruined and the young tender age of 18 and 19.


Like this comment
Posted by Bruce
a resident of Crescent Park
on Oct 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Read the story carefully. It says the three men (men -- over the age of 18 -- not boys) were arrested after weeks of investigation. I agree with C.G. When people commit crimes, an investigation (in this case, a lengthy investigation) ensues and people are arrested for the crimes, they are sacrificing their right to anonymity. Their names are listed in the police records anyway, which are readily available on the internet. Besides, if the media doesn't name those arrested, where is the line drawn? Should the name of a kidnapping or murder suspect be withheld? What if someone is on a shooting rampage but they haven't been arrested yet? Doesn't the public deserve the right to know that the person could potentially be dangerous?


Like this comment
Posted by bob
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 16, 2010 at 6:46 pm

i agree i think they should not have put up the names of "suspects" innocent till proven guilty!!!!


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Be the first to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Peek inside the fine-dining Selby's, opening in Redwood City this summer
By Elena Kadvany | 4 comments | 4,040 views

Homestead Faire at Hidden Villa 4/27
By Laura Stec | 6 comments | 1,189 views

Premarital and Couples: "You're Not Listening to Me!" may mean "I don't feel heard."
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,054 views

All those things our city does – and doesn’t -- do
By Diana Diamond | 6 comments | 993 views

Migraines and motherhood
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 589 views

 

Vote now!

It's time once again to cast your vote for the best places to eat, drink, shop and spend time in Palo Alto. Voting is open now through May 27. Watch for the results of our 2019 Best Of contest on Friday, July 19.

Vote