News

Spontaneous combustion in Woodside fire

 

The spontaneous combustion of oily rags brought firefighters to the residence at 525 Moore Road in the Woodside Heights neighborhood at about 6:50 p.m. Monday (Aug. 9).

"It was pretty easily extinguished," Don Romero, a battalion chief for the Woodside Fire Protection District, said. There were no injuries in the one-alarm fire, nor was there any damage to structures, he added.

Firefighters from the Woodside and Menlo Park fire protection districts and the Redwood City Fire Department responded to a 911 call by the resident.

Not all the firefighters who responded were needed and the whole operation lasted about 30 minutes, Romero said.

Contractors had used rags for staining wood and then put them inside a bag, he said. "We seem to have a problem with contractors using stain. We do have a fair number of fires caused by stain and rags," he said.

Oily rags in a confined place will likely ignite within "a couple of hours," Romero added.

Dave Boyce

We can't do it without you.
Support local journalism.

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Moi
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:00 am

Put oily rags in a hermetically-sealed container so that they do not spontaneously combust!


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Be the first to know

Get the latest headlines sent straight to your inbox every day.

Barcelona tapas restaurant coming to Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 14 comments | 6,701 views

Loneliness
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,282 views

Couples: Reading List
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 621 views

Do Palo Altans still love their city? If not, what should the city do?
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 596 views