Police investigate dumpster fire at Gunn

A dumpster containing wood and metal debris burned in a suspicious fire at Gunn High School in Palo Alto Tuesday night, police Detective Brian Philip said.

Witnesses spotted smoke from a distance at Gunn, 780 Arastradero Road, at about 9:15 p.m., police said. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, which was confined to the dumpster.

The cause has not yet been determined, but two police detectives were at the scene Wednesday morning (Aug. 4) to investigate. Police are using Tuesday's fire to remind residents about a reward being offered for information about a fire at Hoover Park on July 7 in which a children's play structure was destroyed.

The city of Palo Alto and the Friends of Palo Alto Parks are offering a combined reward of $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction in that case. Philip said there is no immediate indication the fires are connected.

Anyone who notices suspicious activity at Palo Alto parks or schools is urged to call police at 650-329-2413. Tips can be e-mailed anonymously to paloalto@tipnow.org.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by sommerseit!
a resident of Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

summer boredom!

Posted by step up
a resident of College Terrace
on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I bet this punk has already bragged about his crime on Facebook. Come on students, report him to the police and let justice be done. If he doesn't learn his lesson now, innocent people could be hurt next time.

Posted by Interesting.
on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Hey, you know what i have got the police called on me for just riding my bike at an elementary school at about 9:30 pm. So... I would like to let dumb Palo Alto people, that are afraid of Palo Altos youth to stop WASTING YOUR TIME. It seems to me that the majority of Palo Alto citizens are in fact afraid of teenagers. I find that VERY amusing, and i use it to my advantage... Idiots, take a second to THINK before you call the police. It seems like everyone in Palo Alto has the police departments number on speed dial. Calling the police like that, only makes us (teens) MORE mad, which in return causes us to rebel, causing only further problems... Suspicious behavior, does not mean kids just hanging out. Use common sense, and don't call the police just because you're greedy for that $2,000.

Posted by @ step up
on Aug 5, 2010 at 12:13 am

I know who did it!
Do I think that is was right? No.
Am i going to snitch? No.
The point is, snitching is looked down upon now a days. Snitching can result in serious problems in the long run. Including: Loss of friends, getting beat, and a stigma that sticks with you until you're out school.

Posted by Blaine
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 5, 2010 at 9:40 am

Step Up, here's another stigma that will stick with you for the rest of your life. Being a coward that can't step up and do the right thing.

Posted by LOL
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Aug 7, 2010 at 12:39 am

YOu know they can track you on here lol.

Posted by raymoo
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Aug 7, 2010 at 2:42 am

Web Link

Posted by Oblivious
a resident of Professorville
on Aug 8, 2010 at 12:02 am

Track me for saying, that i know who did it? And how can you prove that, that was even a valid statement. What probable cause do they have to invade my privacy, by illegally tracking my ip?? That would hold up solid.... NOT. Some people just don't think...

Post-election reflections -- and sponges
By Diana Diamond | 13 comments | 1,507 views

Couples: Philosophy of Love

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Trials of My Grandmother