Survey: Bay Area workers highest paid in 2009

Data shows workers in nine-county Bay Area earned 20 percent more than national average

Workers in the Bay Area were the highest paid on average in the nation last year, according to data released Friday (July 23) by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The data showed workers in the San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland metropolitan area earned 20 percent more than the national average in 2009, the agency said.

The survey included the nine-county Bay Area, plus Santa Cruz and San Benito counties, in that category, according to bureau economist Todd Johnson. The data showed above-average wages in all of the employment categories surveyed, but particularly among construction jobs, service jobs, sales, office and administrative jobs, and professionals.

Workers in the Brownsville-Harlingen, Texas, metropolitan area on the U.S.-Mexico border were paid the least, earning 79 cents for every dollar earned by workers nationwide, the agency said. Bay Area workers also were the highest paid in 2008, earning 17 percent more than the national average, according to Johnson.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Posted by star
a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I guess when you have the palo alto city manager who makes $270,000 a year, not including benefits, and on top of that receives a $2,000,000 house with taxpayer funds, not including the remodeling, and have your property taxes paid for by taxpayers, that might just tweak the average of salaries towards the high end. God Bless America!

Posted by haha
on Jul 24, 2010 at 2:45 am

again everything cost more in the Bay Area as well.....cost of living, food, everything cost more more in the bay area...

Posted by Tom
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm

No surprise here. One of the most expensive places to live in America.

Posted by cp
on Jul 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm

this is one of the most expensive places to live in the world, not only america.

Posted by Frank
a resident of Ventura
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:03 am

I love it here - but I've also thought more than once about selling out and leaving. I'm not sure where I'd go but this place is expensive and although I make good money here I always feel poor.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:22 am

But housing prices are more than 20% higher.

Posted by Resident
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:23 am

I agree with Frank especially since the housing market fiasco. I thought I was doing pretty well until the bust and I own my home free and clear! At least the folks in Palo Alto can still hold their heads high! What a joke.

Posted by Yid
on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:46 pm

While I love PA and Silicon Valley, these surveys are a total JOKE!!!! They DO NOT CONTROL for COST OF LIVING!!! If you make $100,000 in Dallas Texas, you would need to make at least $250,000 in PA. Most of you know what's going on. Don't let the press and politicians fool you!!

Posted by Linn
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jul 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm

The facts are correct, and the Silicon Valley employers already started moving jobs to other states, and it makes sense - they save at least 20% in hiring in Georgia or Texas where there are good universities and deep and wide pool of qualified applicants who would be able to afford a house, unlike here

El Camino: Another scheme to increase congestion?

Couples: Philosophy of Love

Trials of My Grandmother
By Aldis Petriceks | 2 comments | 1,159 views

Lakes and Larders (part 2)
By Laura Stec | 0 comments | 914 views