Weekly announces new online 'virtual edition'

A new enhanced digital version of the Palo Alto Weekly will now be available on Palo Alto Online.

The new "virtual edition" enables users to flip through the paper electronically, turning pages and zooming in on specific stories or ads and to print out pages of interest.

The edition is similar to a PDF (which is also available on Palo Alto Online) but doesn't take as long to load on a computer screen and offers intuitive tools and features that closely resemble the process of reading a physical newspaper.

In addition to current and past issues of the Weekly, special publications such as the Visitors Guide, Home & Garden Design, Info, Neighborhoods and Living Well will also be available in the new format.

The "virtual edition" can be accessed at www.PaloAltoOnline.com by scrolling down to "Recent Issues" on the lower right or by clicking on "Palo Alto Weekly" in the green navigation bar to the left on the site.

Help sustain the local news you depend on.

Your contribution matters. Become a member today.

Join

"Introducing this new online presentation is a logical extension of our multimedia focus," said Weekly publisher Bill Johnson. "It offers our growing online audience another attractive option for viewing the newspaper and our many special publications."

The virtual edition is powered by Issuu, Inc., a Menlo Park company offering digital-publishing platforms. Founded in 2006, it was named one of the 50 best websites in 2009 by Time.com.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox in our Express newsletter.

Follow Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly on Twitter @paloaltoweekly, Facebook and on Instagram @paloaltoonline for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Weekly announces new online 'virtual edition'

Uploaded: Thu, Nov 19, 2009, 5:33 pm

Comments

Sarah
Midtown
on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:50 pm
Sarah, Midtown
on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I really hate these fancy user interfaces. What's wrong with plain HTML (like Palo Alto Online already uses)? Plain HTML is fast and easy to navigate and works with all web browsers. These fancy user interfaces are really really hard to read and I usually give up after a page or two.

Outside Observer
another community
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:45 pm
Outside Observer, another community
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Hope you will have better luck with this than the Daily had with their "virtual edition"

If it's intuitive, and runs properly in Safari and Firefox, you'll have winner

Kate
Duveneck/St. Francis
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:01 pm
Kate, Duveneck/St. Francis
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I gave up on the Daily"s so-called Virtual Edition. Never read it. Hard to read, difficult to log on, and too complicated. Keep it simple. Not everyone is a computer genius in this area.

just hangs
on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:03 am

Miriam Palm
Old Palo Alto
on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:50 am
Miriam Palm, Old Palo Alto
on Nov 20, 2009 at 11:50 am

I just sampled this new version and found it easy to read, page through, zoom in on, and print selected pages. I am no techno-whiz.

I agree about the Daily's E-version: it's hard to use, and I don't see why one needs to create a login to do so, thus I rarely bother to read it.

Thanks, Palo Alto Weekly! I appreciate all the E-versions, but thank you for continuing to send a printed paper to us as well. It's well worth the modest and voluntary subscription cost.

Frank, Barron Park resident
Barron Park
on Nov 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm
Frank, Barron Park resident, Barron Park
on Nov 20, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I just want to ditto the previous comment quoted below. Please do not think that this new format should ever replace your excellent online format. I use your emails to link to PA online each day. I find the Daily's format unusable. Your virtual addition is not even an improvement on the Daily's. I am quite computer savvy. The issue is ease of use and ability to focus on the information I am seeking to learn more about. I'm afraid that ads in the printed and online versions simply have to be delivered differently.

I'm agreeing with
"This UI is better than the Daily's Virtual Edition, but still not usable for me. The text is too small or too large on my 15" laptop, and the panning behavior for the too-large page flashes like crazy because it is not double-buffered (I'm using Firefox as my browser).
Anyway, the reason publishers like these formats is they hope the ads will be more effective than with HTML. Unfortunately, they are wrong. Advertising-based online news is a doomed business model."

Annie
Palo Verde
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:56 pm
Annie, Palo Verde
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I like this format a lot. It works great on my mac. I like being able to see the ads and have the pages turn. I like it a lot better than PDF. Thanks!