Victor Frost arrested for shouting racial epithets

Panhandling City Council candidate charged with yelling racist epithets at another homeless person

Victor Frost, a local panhandler who is running for City Council, was arrested Tuesday afternoon for allegedly shouting racial epithets at a homeless amputee.

Frost, who regularly solicits donations across the street from Whole Foods Market, received an arrest citation after a female passerby witnessed him yelling at and berating a homeless person, according to police spokesman Sgt. Dan Ryan.

The woman called police, who arrived at the scene and interviewed Frost, the witness and the victim. Ryan said Frost accepted the misdemeanor charge and is scheduled for an appearance at Santa Clara County Superior Court in Palo Alto on Nov. 10.

Ryan said Frost was arrested for disturbing the peace after the police found him to be using "words likely to produce an immediate violent reaction." Frost potentially faces six months in jail, Ryan said.

Ryan said Frost left his usual seat across Homer Avenue from Whole Foods for an hour or two, at which time the other person took over the spot. Frost returned and allegedly lashed out at the man, an African-American amputee in a wheelchair who also is a panhandler.

"He was berating the fellow in a wheelchair, who was an amputee, and calling him all the horrible words in the English language," Ryan said. "I think there was a competition for what Mr. Frost considered to be his own personal space on the sidewalk."

Frost is also facing six counts of violating Palo Alto's sit-lie ordinance. Attorneys are scheduled to discuss those charges on Nov. 30.

Comments

Posted by Paul
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Justice at its finest!!

Posted by Palo Parent
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Damn! That would make for some exciting City Council meetings, too bad.

Posted by Sally
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Victor is local [portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff] who has rarely been really confronted by the citizens of Palo Alto. Enough of them enable him, by giving him money, that it is worth it to him to keep up the game.

Maybe this latest outburst from him, using racist trash talk, will do the job. However, I am not going to hold my breath, becasue PA liberals are always willing to forgive.

Posted by Seen it before
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Victor towering over someone confined to a chair and raising his voice. How could that NOT be intimidating for the person in the chair - regardless opf age, gender, socio-economic, race or anything else that bothers a person who slams "crack monkeys" (he used that phrase in court), comes down on peers (other street folks) who use drugs and/or alcohol, but had a picture taken in the housing he demands, and rejects, with a vodka bottle of his coffwee table. He says he stays inside the law, but solicits alcohol beverages (see B&
P codes re ABC regulations, he intends to consume in public - PA writes those cites regularly. Okay, perhaps he will sit in his ca, but open container in a car is even more not legal!!!!

He is known to shreeek at his "peers" (ask, he ain't got one since the guy on the cross) who bend his idea of self (i.e. ego).

The apparent(I hope the question remains unanswered)male life form should be allowed to maintain the role of food for thought, but there is enough food available that he needs, or deserves, a direct supply.

That said, if, IF,IIIFFF, you can find him on the Page Mill stub (between Park and the tracks, where he says he lives)at night (i.e. after Midnight)give him what he has earned - the goes to you.

Is there a way to cast a negative vote?????????????????????

Posted by Michael Kieran
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Throw the book at this criminal.

Posted by It Comes toPaas
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Jerry Farwell was right (in sooo many ways)--

Regardless of Andy Warhol's claim, we will all burn in Hell for 15 minutes, famous or not."

Posted by Still not a crime to speak racially slurs
a resident of Nixon School
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:56 pm

I certainly hope he was not arrested for "racial slurs" but for intimidating/threatening, yelling and disturbing the peace. As far as I know, it is still not a crime to utter "racial" slurs any more than "sexist" slurs, "classist" slurs or any other slur, is it?

I mean, really, if he was sitting side by side, speaking calmly and softly, in language that was littered with racial slurs, I don't think he would have been arrested,right? Or if he were singing a song littered with racial slurs, I don't think he would have been arrested,..right?

So, to whoever wrote this, could ya please check up on what he was actually arrested for then get back at us....

Posted by witness who called the police
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:16 pm

He was yelling racial slurs in a threatening manner as he approached the man in the wheelchair. I may be mistaken but I believe hate behavior such as this is not protected under the law. It was very sad to see the meek way in which the African American man deferred to Mr. Frost's verbal assault. As if he had long ago learned that he had no choice but to bow down to racist hate.

Posted by Carroll Harrington
a resident of Community Center
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Thank you to the witness who called the police!

Posted by Ann
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:57 pm

I am shocked with this news. Victor IS NOT an aggressive panhandler, and he usually minds his own business. I never ever saw him screaming or calling people names, quite the contrary. He usually does not react badly when people say things that are not really appropriate to him. He is always polite to people. I find this whole story intriguing.

Posted by Ann
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I am just curious to know if anyone here has ever seen Victor Frost shouting or calling names? He has been in the streets of Palo Alto for over 6+ years, so, has anyone ever see him being aggressive before? Thanks.

Posted by witness who called the police
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I assure you that this story is true. He may not be an aggressive panhandler, but he was outrageously aggressive, threatening and insulting when he saw the other panhandler in what he considered "his" spot on the sidewalk. The words he used were the most hateful one can possibly use against a black man.

Posted by sey'allinheck
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Y'all need to turn off your laptops and tv. Go out and enjoy life instead of reading about it online or on tv. Good grief, you're here for a short time, enjoy it while you are able. You're anger at one panhandler is time wasted. Surely there must be more important things for you to worry about?

Posted by get rid of him
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Put him in jail. Send him to a labor camp. What ever happened to the good ole days of hard labor camps? Make him take a bath, lose some weight, and do something for a change.. There are too many people wasting money and services in Palo Alto

Posted by Sally
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:57 pm

"I am just curious to know if anyone here has ever seen Victor Frost shouting or calling names?"

I have seen him storm off the stage, during one of his several runs for city council. [Portion removed due to disrespectful comment or offensive language]

Posted by H. Chun
a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:12 pm

To Seen It Before:
Totally dig the "Is there a way to cast a negative vote?"

Posted by That Guy
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:13 pm

@ Ann, he has always been a smell, rude, jerk to me. And all I do is not give him money. I used to try a polite greeting, but gave up.

@ sey'allinheck: kinda "pot calling the kettle black" don't ya think?

@ Victor: go get job on one of those goat farms that you claims to love so much, make some money and buy it. Just get the he** off your butt.

Posted by Sharon
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Does not Frosts statements end his political ambitions?

We got rid of David Duke for the same sort of statements.

Frost will have serious problems from the indigent community as a result of his statements, any friends he has are advising him to leave town ASAP.

We have been in line at Mollie Stones many times and seen his purchase of vodka, his right, unless he disturbs the peace as a result.
He may have hit bottom

Posted by Sally
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:34 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by anon
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Have to protect your territory...

Early one Sunday morning I saw two guys, rolling around on El Camino beating each other up, apparently over which one was going to take possession of the median at El Camino/Alma to "work the sign"

Posted by Still not a crime to...
a resident of Meadow Park
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Again, I repeat, thus far in this country we can not get arrested for using "racial slurs", regardless of how vile or vicious etc, or else many a rapper, comedian, movie and other "entertainment" would long ago have gone down the tubes.

So, again, please note he was arrested for "disturbing the peace" much like Gates ( Obama's friend) was arrested for similar behavior.

To try to make more of it than this, to try to turn this into some kind of racial incident, instead of what it is, a territorial dispute between 2 disabled panhandlers, one using every non-violent manner to express his outrage at having his territory impinged by the other, is trying to stir the pot. I am not defending Frost, nor his language, I am saying that what we know is the end of the story, not having any clue what the beginning or middle of the story is.

To try a little intellectual honesty quiz, ask yourself if would you be as upset if the "colors" were reversed? Would the person above had projected his or her own emotion into the sentence "As if he had long ago learned that he had no choice but to bow down to racist hate" if it had been reversed? If it had been a woman screaming in such a way to a man, with vile words, would the outrage be as intense?

My point? Subsitituting colors/races/nationalities/genders/religions/political parties etc in stories about these things can help clarify what the real issue is, and keep your point of view in focus..

Posted by witness who called the police
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Dear "still not a crime..",
If one has intellectual honesty, one will acknowledge that black people, women, and other historically oppressed groups have a very clear memory of when the whip, the rape, or the noose accompanied the hateful words. Be honest: has the word "whitey" carried the same threat as often as the "n" word has? A white man verbally assaulting a black man with racial epitephs or a man assaulting a women with sexist obscenities carries a far bigger threat than the reverse, and you are naive to think otherwise. Yes, it was turf wars. But yes, there should be greater consequences for using hate behavior as a "weapon" in turf wars. The black panhandler was sincerely grateful to me for stepping in. His words were " I'm glad you heard what he yelled at me. Thank you for helping me." There was no emotional projection on my part. I stand by my words.

Posted by Ann
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Anon, do you know if the two guys that you saw beating each other up on El Camino Real were arrested? Probably not. Probably no one really care about them. But sure someone had to call the police really fast for Victor. Anything that Victor does that might be out of the line is a great opportunity to call the police. I wonder why so many people dislikes him.

Victor is a nice man and he really minds his own business. He is never seen drunk, yelling or behaving aggressive towards other people. He is actually very helpful to many other homeless people. Not only he does a can drive every year for the other homeless, he is a great advocate for the homeless community. Victor may not be able to work in a 8-5 job, but he does work in his own way. Victor is a good man.

Posted by Sharon
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Hate or racist speech is not and should not be a crime, otherwise Rev Wright and Van Jones would be convicted a such crimes, easily on the evidence.

Hate and racist speech is, and should be, the end of political careers, as in the case of David Duke.
As Frost claimed his right to sit and beg was based on his political ambitions, his claim has evaporated, the issues of disturbing the peace will be resolved in court.

Freedom of speech needs to be protected.

Frost has unfortunately been enabled by PA for many years, lets not repeat this mistake.

Posted by anon
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:51 pm

"Anon, do you know if the two guys that you saw beating each other up on El Camino Real were arrested? Probably not. Probably no one really care about them."

I don't know. I was watching this from the left hand turn lane on El Camino, waiting to turn onto Alma. I did report it via 911 on my cell-phone, getting into the CHP/local police limbo for a while.

The light changed and I was on my way before seeing the resolution. I frankly wondered if they were going to be hit by some later north bound traffic - that location must have a high $$$$ payoff.

Posted by A Noun Ea Mus
a resident of Professorville
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:52 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Sharon
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Frost should be prosecuted for disturbing the peace, not for his thoughts or speech.

Posted by Bunny
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Thank you citizen who called 911. I want Frost off the streets.
The only good thing about the disgusting tree cutting is that
he is no longer in my neighborhood. His presence makes me want
to scream at him the way he, reportedly, screamed at the person
in "his" place. Well, the sidewalk corner on CA Ave and Birch is
"my" space in "my" neighborhood.

Posted by Eliot
on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:54 pm

I've seen Victor yelling and it was at me. He threatened me saying that he was going to kick my you know what. I can tell you that when he stands up he is well over six feet and is very intimidating. Scary as heck really. I'd really like to see him off the streets. I don't feel safe when he is around.

P.S. What set him off was when I challenged his claim that he was homeless. As strange as this may seem Victor thinks of himself as an American hero, the Harvey Milk of the "homeless".

Posted by bikes2work
a resident of Santa Rita (Los Altos)
on Sep 23, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Question for those defending hate speech, why are graffiti of swastikas treated as hate crimes as well as nooses in a foreman's office? Why are words of hate more protected than these symbols of hate. I don't see the difference. Free speech should mean that we treat the symbols and the words with the same punishment or apathy.

Posted by Freida
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Say if Victor Frost considers that spot on public property his, then the county assesor should be notified. Frost needs to be paying property taxes on his piece of the pavement. He has a possessory interest.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:24 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:30 am

BTW, the article clearly states Frost was arrested for disturbing the peace & how he did so was by yelling racial epithets. The article says:

Makes total sense.

Frost wastes the time & resources of the city. If he wants to be an advocate or spokesperson for his community, he's kinda blown that by this arrest. It's pretty funny, actually.

Posted by Advocate of First Amendment Right
on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:03 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by gerald
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:27 am

Victor frost is a seriously crazy person and doesn't need to be a psychiatrist to figure it out. His speech his highly incoherent, he's obviously highly delusional and he probably a schizo-paranoid. The humane thing to do is get him to a mental hospital, diagnose his illness and start him on the appropriate medications.

Posted by The Real Sharon
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:54 am

Sharon:

"Rev Wright and Van Jones made racist statements that could lead to jail time in Canada or the UK under current laws."

What does this have to do with the Victor Frost incident? What do Wright and Jones have to do with it? And besides they live in the USA, not Canada or the UK

"We feel these laws are silly, speech should be protected, even that of nut case Holocaust deniers."

Who is "we"? Do you know the whole story? Do you know exactly what Frost did?
Speaking of Holocaust deniers, if I recall correctly you were making excuses for the Holocaust denier that shot up the Holocaust Museum a few months ago.

Try to stick to the topic--not every thread needs to have you inject your right wingnut comments.

Posted by Valerie
a resident of Professorville
on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:25 am

This is great news! Last week my daughter and I were walking on California Ave and he started shouting "Come smell my armpit" and other expletives. I have also been behing him in line to check out at Mollie Stones on two occasions when he was buying vodka and deli food. Yes, "26 cents for an organic meal"....

Posted by Mockery
on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:27 am

Victor Frost continues to cost the citizens of Palo Alto thousands of dollars.
We need to stop subsidizing his Redwood City housing. He has made a joke of our system by running for City Council, when he doesn't even reside in town and claims his car & a lamp post in Palo Alto as his registered address.

Posted by anonymous
on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:32 am

I worked at whole foods for 3 yrs and saw this guy being rude to a lot of other homeless people in front of the store, particularly women for some reason. I know that whole foods would make him leave of they could, but I don't think they can legally. This guy is a total scumbag. He's the only homeless person I've ever seen w/ a bmw, and a cell phone too I believe. The fact that people give him money blows my mind. He's the gum on the bottom of my shoe. Palo Alto, get rid of this bum.

Posted by pat
on Sep 24, 2009 at 10:45 am

I hope this incident puts an end to all the sympathy Frost has been getting.

I feel for all homeless people and most of the time I give them money, buy them a sandwich or both. But never Frost.

Many years ago, he was hanging out in front of Printers Inc bookstore on CA Ave. It was a bitterly cold night and he was barefoot. I asked him if he had shoes and he said no.

I went and bought a pair of running shoes and a parka and gave them to him. He looked disdainfully at the shoes and said, “I’m saving for Doc Martens.”

When I came out of the bookstore, he wasn’t wearing the shoes or the parka.

Posted by Mockery
on Sep 24, 2009 at 11:15 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Anon.
on Sep 24, 2009 at 11:48 am

Why don't they get rid of all the panhandling around the city. I am so tired of seeing a growing number of people standing at intersections doing nothing. There are even people loitering at Middlefield and Embarcadero now. Enough is enough.

Mostly they are well behaved, but even well behaved it is not right to see these people sleeping on the streets downtown.

The anecdotes about how terrible or ungrateful they are are pointless, of course they are dysfunctional, but they are human beings, and so are we all, so why do we have to be confronted by these dirty health harzards and why don't they get some treatment, help, or put somewhere and given some minimal help?

Posted by bru
on Sep 24, 2009 at 11:55 am

bru is a registered user.

Didn't there used to be a "follow this threat" link that would notify people of new posts to an article? What happened to that, or did I just not see it?

Posted by bru
on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm

bru is a registered user.

nevermind ... i found it ... I thought it disappeared.

Posted by Jane
on Sep 24, 2009 at 1:20 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by To Valerie
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Sep 24, 2009 at 1:36 pm

No offense, but your post cracked me up. "Smell my armpit"? I have heard him say hostile, bizarre things, but yours take the bottle of vodka.

What are you referencing re the 26 cent organic meal?

Posted by Deep Throat
on Sep 24, 2009 at 1:42 pm

"The man is vile & vagrant and the judge needs to throw the book at him once and for all." -- posted by Mockery

"He's the gum on the bottom of my shoe. Palo Alto, get rid of this bum." -- posted by anonymous

"I hope this incident puts an end to all the sympathy Frost has been getting." -- posted by pat

I try to consider all the alternatives until I have all the facts, but I don't have all the facts here, just the report of those who made the accusation against Frost.

One alternative is that Frost was set up with charges that are difficult to defend against because the Palo Alto police and attorneys believe Frost is going to win his sit-lie case, but the sit-lie charges have never been about enforcing that ordinance but about getting rid of a man the authorities consider "vile & vagrant", "the gum on the bottom of my shoe", and a person who is getting "sympathy".

Frost, like others who have successfully used their resources to defend themselves against charges they always knew were bogus (the sit-lie ordinance in Frost's case), has now been charged with something (whether true or not) that is difficult to defend against, with the perfect victim (black and disabled in a wheel chair that is exempt from the sit-lie ordinance) and a female passerby who initiated the call to the police.

Posted by Not Sorry
on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Mr Frost is not a nice person. There are many homeless whom one would like to help, but he is definitely not one of them. He has just shown his true colors in this most recent episode.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

Dear Deep Throat - do you really think this may have been a "set up"?

I have witnessed Frost's nastiness on several occasions. So have others here on this board. Frost doesn;t garner much sympathy, mentally unstable or not, because he is intimidating, rude, nasty & selfish in his interactions w/the public.

Posted by chrisc
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 26, 2009 at 9:40 pm

chrisc is a registered user.

I've often spoken to Mr Frost, and I even voted for him once. He collects food for other homeless, particularly around the holidays. He seemed to be a Palo Alto fixture, and one that might challenge the status quo here. I think that sometimes when someone is really mad at another person, they hurl epithets that they think will most hurt that person, and often those relate to race. I'm sorry he has gotten into trouble, but I, like others that have posted, hope the charges are based on more than "free speech."

Posted by Norm
on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Norm is a registered user.

Mr Frost often says he is collecting food for other street people, but he will also tell them to "get lost" {though not that politely} if him doesn't agree with them - or,more correctly, don't agree with him.
Thursday, I asked him if the report was true - he told my to f--- off. I attempted to express my opinion on "his" corner, and he offered me an ice pick. He went over and sat on the bus bench to pout when looming over my 5' 9", 130 pound bulk wasn't intimidating.

One question I didn't ask -- If he is actually living in his car, where is he drinking his vodka? In the car is illegal, and so is on the street.

Posted by disco davis
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Oct 4, 2009 at 2:32 am

disco davis is a registered user.

For all those sympathetic for the precious, Victor Frost. I read an article a few months ago, where he was showing off his new car you people just helped him get. There was also a picture of his old car in the article. He also has a free apartment that was funded by monies from you people.

[Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Why is there so much sympathy for this guy? Is it because he is pink? He seems to be doing better than a lot of people, I think that's why he acts the way he does, you people have made him a celebrity for his behavior, instead of helping some hungry children somewhere.

Posted by disco davis
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Oct 4, 2009 at 2:38 am

disco davis is a registered user.

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Mountain View's Hangen Szechuan to close after 25 years
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 2,035 views

Populism: A response to the failure of the elites: Palo Alto edition

Let's Talk Internships
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,460 views

Couples: Sex and Connection (Chicken or Egg?)
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,263 views