News

Fireworks may have sparked Atherton fire

 

Firefighters battled a two-alarm blaze at a house near the Bear Gulch Reservoir in Atherton Sunday morning that may have been sparked by illegal fireworks, a fire official said.

A woman who was house sitting for the two-story home called in the fire from the house's driveway at 5 Ridgeview Drive around 3:22 a.m., Menlo Park Fire Protection District Chief Harold Schapelhouman said.

The woman reportedly heard fireworks prior to the fire that caused the upper deck to collapse onto the first floor, Schapelhouman said.

About 44 firefighters with seven engines and two trucks contained the flames just before 5 a.m., he said.

He estimated about $500,000 in damage and said the residents, who are in Hawaii, will not be able to live in the house when they return.

The whole rear of the dwelling and its interior was completely burned, he said.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Resident
a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jul 7, 2008 at 9:32 am

I heard fireworks close to my home for the past week. I suppose all of us could say that we are lucky not to have been caught alight by a spark.

I hope they find the culprits and cite them for arson as well as illegal fireworks possession and setting off.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 18 comments | 5,029 views

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 1,224 views

This time we're not lying. HONEST! No, really!
By Douglas Moran | 11 comments | 862 views

Couples: When Wrong Admit It; When Right; Shut Up
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 758 views

One-on-one time
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 573 views