Knife fight ends in death in south Palo Alto

The man arrested for allegedly stabbing to death a 73-year-old man at a Palo Alto home Friday night had driven to Palo Alto from Auburn with his girlfriend to visit his mother, Sgt. Sandra Brown said today.

The man's mother and girlfriend went out to dinner and when they got back to the mother's home in the 2500 block of Waverley Street, the mother's boyfriend had been killed and the son had stab wounds.

"The mother doesn't know what happened," Brown said.

Herman Van Bragt, 46, of Auburn was later charged with suspicion of homicide and suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.

The victim's name is not being released until police locate his family, Brown said. She said the man owns a home in Palo Alto and isn't sure if he lived in that home or with Van Bragt's mother.

Police received a 911 call about a knife fight at the Waverley Street home about 9:10 p.m. Friday. They spent much of Saturday processing the crime scene, Brown said.

(View the press release)

— Don Kazak

Comments

Posted by Ambulance Chaser
on Mar 8, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I think they might mean 2500 block. There is still police tape blocking the sidewalk and all around a house on that block as of this morning.

Posted by sally
on Mar 8, 2008 at 1:21 pm

The Mercury-News says 2500 block of Waverley.

Posted by sally
on Mar 8, 2008 at 8:38 pm

The Mercury-News is reporting that the suspect is the son of the home owner. The victim is the boyfriend of the home owner. The suspect is the person who called the police. Motive was not mentioned.

Posted by Izzy Newkirk
on Mar 10, 2008 at 11:37 pm

This is a pretty weak and uninformative article. First of all,
in a 'knife fight' , two or more people each armed with a knife, are fighting. If only one has a knife, then it's a 'stabbing' or 'knife attack' If you're going to report on street violence, then get
your wording straight! And the Merc has a whole different story,
what about it? Geez, no wonder all you gumshoes are getting laid off.

Posted by Mayfield Child
a resident of Green Acres
on Mar 12, 2008 at 4:21 am

Very sad, no matter which way it was written..............
RIP.

Posted by Maria
on Apr 14, 2008 at 2:00 pm

It is good about that,he is going to get a Psychiatric evaluation.it was really mentally sick,all his medicines disappear from the place where he use to keep them a few Months before from now,he ask me to take him to some doctor in Auburn that he use to see trying to replace the some medicines he where so desperate by then,he really where need it to get the medicines,that someone took away from him.I didn't post any comments on this web site because I didn't know there where one on line I did find it out till last Friday night,and I didn't know what happens with Herman I hear about him on March the 28 he stop seen me on March 3,I try very hard to fine out what was going on with Herman after, I didn't hear from him until Herman's brother call me ,and after that he tell me about what happens I got in shock, I lose my mind.My 19 Year old son call 911 they took me to Emergency Hospital, after I get my mind back the next Day they transfer me to the Psychiatric Hospital for 7 Day's, after that I didn't know how to find out about the Place where Herman is right now.It is one of the reason I am posting this comments till know.It really seems to me pretty much that Lady Sharon where involved on what my boyfriend did and going on through right now.Sharon knew about my boyfriend mental problems,she knew he is sick, and she done something not good ones before that I don't think it was right she took Herman out of a Psychiatric Hospital some time last Year she didn't let him to complete the time that he where allotment She feud it and win to take him out of the Hospital.Herman ask me more then twice to take him down to Palo Alto. I remember he did tell me I need to see My Mom...., she turn really nice Mom, and really good, after my Dad Died she wasn't like that before I completely refuse to take him down there because I got the filling something horrible like that could happens My Name is Maria and I live in Placer County.
I love my boy friend very much......, I am prying every single Day.

Posted by unbiased
a resident of South of Midtown
on Apr 14, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Now that I am untainted member of the jury pool.....................

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Addison School

on Jun 5, 2017 at 2:00 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 1,165 views

This time we're not lying. HONEST! No, really!
By Douglas Moran | 9 comments | 769 views