News

Fire destroys Mountain View apartment

 

A three-alarm fire that destroyed one apartment unit Sunday and damaged three others was started after a cooking fire got away from a resident, according to Mountain View fire spokesman Lynn Brown.

Units responded at about 2:36 p.m. to the fire at 250 Del Medio Ave. and found heavy smoke emanating from a second story apartment.

"One apartment was totaled," Brown said. "Another unit below suffered water damage and two others suffered smoke damage."

The resident made a classic mistake in dealing with a grease fire by putting water on it instead of covering the fire, Brown said.

The American Red Cross of Palo Alto provided assistance to three or four displaced residents.

There is no damage estimate yet.

— Bay City News Service

Comments

Like this comment
Posted by Mayfield Child
a resident of Green Acres
on Dec 17, 2007 at 10:30 am

Would appreciate it if the Weekly would print a REMINDER in the paper for people to read about how to deal with a kitchen grease fire.
Prevention could save horrible disfigurement, loss of property and lives....................Thanks.


Like this comment
Posted by Doris
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Dec 17, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Just a FYI for those who panic when there is a grease fire. You can use regular table salt that is always in the kitchen cabinet, this will smother and wipe out the grease fire. Or try smothering with the lid of the skillet/pot.
Please feel free to jump in with some of your home remedies.

Thanks.


Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto
By Elena Kadvany | 11 comments | 3,462 views

Eat, Surf, Love
By Laura Stec | 4 comments | 1,166 views

Couples: So You Married Mom or Dad . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,120 views

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 774 views

One-on-one time
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 181 views