Dish area reopens to hikers, joggers

The popular Dish area in the Stanford hills reopened to hikers and joggers on Saturday after being closed since a 171-acre grass fire on June 25.

All hiking trails are open, Stanford Deputy Chris Cohendet said.

Hikers and joggers are restricted, as before, to marked paths. There will be extra staffing in the Dish area during the fire season, Cohendet added.

The June 25 fire was later found to have been set by two children playing with matches.

A July 5 fire burned 20 acres. The cause of that fire is still under investigation.

-- Don Kazak

Posted by Hiker
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 23, 2007 at 4:37 pm

Posted by BikerJoe
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jul 23, 2007 at 7:58 pm

Hisssss! Now Stanford Ave. will be parked up with cars spilling too far out onto the pavement, drivers speeding and making illegal U-turns, etc. It was nice and peaceful and safe when the Dish was closed.

Posted by StanfordforStanford
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 23, 2007 at 10:21 pm

BikerJoe, I'm with you!

I think the Dish should be closed to all but Stanford students, faculty, and alumnae. Palo Alto residents, in particular, should not be allowed in there. Did they pay for the dish? No they did not. Are their taxes supporting the dish? No they are not! These dishonest people are just sneaking onto someone else's property and using it like they think they have a right to it or something. Hmph!

And look at what their sneaky children did: set fire to it with matches. Now THAT is what happens when children are allowed into an area to which they are not legally by residence entitled. Palo Alto children are, I think, not quite good enough to be given access to such a world-class ... um ... Dish like the one we have at Stanford. I'm a Stanford alumn and I definitely paid my dues for that ... um ... Dish.

Palo Alto has a lovely bazillion-acre park up in the hills (filled with mountain lions, I hear) that they they don't let anyone else into. Let them use that if they want to experience nature. Leave Stanford land to Stanford people.

Posted by Oscar
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 23, 2007 at 10:35 pm

I save a lot of gasoline by hiking at the Dish instead of schlepping to other hiking areas like Arastradero or Foothills.

Posted by Peter R.
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 24, 2007 at 11:07 am

The sun is shining, the Dish is open ... time for some good 'ol outdoor exercise!

Posted by BikerJoe
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jul 24, 2007 at 7:55 pm

I have no problem with people using the dish. As a Stanford alum, donor and employee I support the University's decision to let the public use this space. What I don't like is the dangerous, inconsiderate and illegal behavior by drivers on their way to and from the area. Oscar would save even more gas if he rode his bike to the end of Stanford Ave. There is even a bike rack at the intersection for this purpose, but it receives little use.

Posted by Oscar
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 25, 2007 at 11:55 am

That's right, BikerJoe.

In fact, I recommend catching the FREE Stanford Marguerite Shuttle to either Tresidder Hall or the Quad, and then walk to the Dish. From Tresidder Hall it's a brisk 10-minute walk to the entrance; from the Quad it's about 15 minutes.

This service is available year round, Monday thru Friday, with additional WEEKEND SERVICE from Sept. to June. Here is the schedule and routes for the Marguerite Shuttle:

Web Link

Posted by murphy
on Jul 25, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Thanks for the link Oscar. I never knew that the Marguerite shuttle was free to the public ... like me.

Glad to hear the trails are open again.

Mountain View wine bar Le Plonc opens

Humpty Dumpty's Theory of Meaning + 1984 + Overton Window

Data and Compassion: Radical Tools in the Fight for Gun Control
By Aldis Petriceks | 8 comments | 1,022 views

How to make a new family's stay more comfortable
By Cheryl Bac | 4 comments | 534 views

Spring Break college touring
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 445 views

2018 guide to summer camps

Looking for something for the kids to do this summer, learn something new and have fun? The 2018 Summer Camp Guide features local camps for all ages and interests.

Find Camps Here