By Max Greenberg
Top 6 Issues Affecting Seniors to keep an eye on as Donald Trump takes overUploaded: Jan 19, 2017
1. Services funded through the Older Americans Act (OAA) such as Meals on Wheels, adult day care, and information assistance could all be targeted.
2. Significant changes/repeal of the Affordable Care Act could affect how care is delivered through Medicare and Medicaid. The changes may increase out-of-pocket Medicare costs for seniors. Possible cap on federal spending for Medicaid, a program that benefits very poor and very sick older adults and people with disabilities, as well as low-income mothers and children
3. Senior services programs may be in jeopardy in part because Congress will be looking for ways to finance what is likely to be a significant tax cut.
4. Trump promised to leave Medicare benefits untouched. But since the election he has promised to support efforts to “modernize” the program — Washington code for restructuring the way the program is financed. Paul Ryan and many House Republicans would cap the government’s share of Medicare, a step that could lead to huge jumps in premiums for seniors.
5. Social Security has been seriously discussed as a program that could be privatized. Something to consider: If you are below the full retirement age, taking Social Security at an earlier age (ie 62) before something dramatic happens to it.
6. On the horizon could be repeal of the Endangered Species Act. This could be an early step towards the sell off of National Park land, and affect the level of access and cost to access these national treasures.
Anything else you want to add to the list, please make a comment. Good luck everyone!