Black Lives Matter: on the topic of protesting and looting | A Teen's Palo Alto | Jessica Zang | Palo Alto Online |

Local Blogs

A Teen's Palo Alto

By Jessica Zang

E-mail Jessica Zang

About this blog: I’m Jessica Zang, a Palo Alto-born, slightly cynical Gunn High School student who’s passionate about linking high school life to the bigger picture. What’s really going on in our high schools in Palo Alto? Everything a high ...  (More)

View all posts from Jessica Zang

Black Lives Matter: on the topic of protesting and looting

Uploaded: Jun 3, 2020
As of recently, every single one of the 50 states has participated in some form of protest. The Black Lives Matter movement has swept across the country following the death of George Floyd, even inciting peaceful protests in foreign countries such as the UK, the Netherlands, and Japan, to name a few. The message is clear: end police brutality against African Americans by making real reforms, or protests will continue.

For background, protests began in the wake of George Floyd’s death, where former police officer Derek Chauvin kneeled on Floyd's neck for close to nine minutes, causing his death. Floyd's family conducted an independent autopsy, and the cause of death was asphyxiation due to sustained pressure. The United States Constitution’s Sixth Amendment guarantees every citizen the right to a fair trial, but this right, and the right to live, was stripped from Floyd as a cause of our faulty law enforcement system.

Too little officers are held accountable: approximately four in 400 police officers are charged for killing; of these four, only one is ever convicted. I acknowledge that oftentimes, these killings are not against the law, and sometimes police officers must make split-second decisions to protect the safety of themselves and other civilians. However, too many stories have made the news of Black Americans being killed while posing no threat to police officers, and most of the time the officers in questions are not charged with any crimes. The law states that a person must pose a reasonable threat to others to justify using deadly force. With the help of videos and surveillance, we see that too often officers use such force without reasonable threat posed. This causes repetitive tragedies that stem from our failure to hold officers accountable.

These protests have gathered thousands of people every day. In some cases, police officers have kneeled with protestors; in many others, they have retaliated with tear gas, rubber bullets, and even police vehicles. Most protests have opted for a peaceful route. The small minority has turned violent: riots in Minnesota have caused fires and destruction. There have also been many recent occurrences of looting, or taking of goods by force and causing destruction to stores and public buildings. For those living in Palo Alto or near it, such occurrences have hit close to home; curfews have been set to keep people safe, and potential looters have been apprehended.

It is important to note that those who participate in looting during the night rarely overlap with those who march peacefully as protestors during the day. Reporters on scene have made this clear. Looting cannot be tolerated; it is simply bad people riding on this wave of protests who seek to steal, damage, and wreck property with an excuse.

Oftentimes, this can ruin the life’s work of small businesses, and the cost of losing people’s entire means of making money is unimaginable, leaving business owners hopeless and impoverished. Large chain stores like Target, Starbucks and Apple are able to use their large funds to buy policies that insure all losses. However, for small businesses, not all merchandise and property is insured. Business owners who have to pay out-of-pocket for these damages may never recover. In one night, they go from having a stable income to not even knowing how to patch their lives back together.

We cannot confuse these people with those who are trying to peacefully enact change and raise awareness. The actions of looters have corrupted the message of those who are demonstrating without violence, and we must recognize that this should not serve as an excuse to stop listening to the pleas of the vast majority.

Distinguishing these two groups is essential to uncovering the truth: the Black Lives Matter movement is not about inciting violence. It is about justice and equality, and putting an end to police brutality that systemically fails to be held accountable, as well as countless other injustices that black people face on a day-to-day basis.


Protests in Berlin, courtesy of Sean Gallup, NY Times
We need your support now more than ever. Can we count on you?

Comments

 +   30 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 3, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Looting and rioting often go hand-in-hand with public protests involving wanton police improprities and brutality.

It happened in Watts (1965) & following the Rodney King incident (1992) among others.

The looting & destruction of private property (whether undertaken by local residents or 'outsiders') is immaterial as the end result is the same.

It is reflective of social and economic inequality + unlawful/unwarranted police actions.

Blame the police as they are often the catalyst for such activities. Had the Minneapolis PD officers practiced restraint, then none of this stuff would be taking place.



 +   4 people like this
Posted by Mark Weiss, a resident of Downtown North,
on Jun 3, 2020 at 1:20 pm

Mark Weiss is a registered user.

This is a tangent, but what do you make of the case from exactly six years ago, May, 2014 when a Gunn student wrote graffiti at Gunn High School that was called "a hate crime" because he referenced the ethnicity of his class mates?
Were his statements protected by the First Amendment?
Certainly he should have been made to pay to clean the damage -- and graffiti that costs more than $400 or so to clean is considered a felony - -but I thought the school, the police, The Oracle, the local press, all over-reacted to the content - -I called it therefore "a hoax".
Web Link

In other places people said he was attacking the principal, who had disciplined him, and was later re-assigned.
Others said he was referencing a double standard related to "sexting" - the censorship was to protect the person depicted. Would it matter, as some sources told me, that the vandal was a person of color too?

It's difficult to meter freedom of expression.

I think class is under-acknowledged as a source of the protest. (That is, the protesters are often poor, and here the rich get better treatment, beyond the fact that blacks are often also poor).

I'm all for equal justice -- see Gideon Vs Wainwright and some claim it was never enacted. See Bryan Stevenson. See Matt Gonzalez and the late Jeff Adachi in Sf.

But today, this week, I think that the protest has been hacked and we should lay low until we stop the looters.
It would be great if your peer group some of them went to work in social action. Part of the Black Lives Matter platform I respect, but not all of it.

And I believe this column last week raised these issues and covered this topic before the news section wrote about it, so kudos and congrats for being first in that regard.

When I was in my 20s and living in SF I went to a rally regarding The Rodney King Riots and later regretted it because we were very close to the looters and I wish the leader of that rally had waited a few days to gather his followers and give voice to change.

Maybe I'm just too old. I'm 56 years old.
But I did join a march with Stanford BLM leaders a couple years ago, and even got to speak to the group. (I said Dennis Burns our chief would not let this become Fergusson - although it is also true that Palo Alto has violated the rights of suspects, and suspects of color).


 +   7 people like this
Posted by Mark Weiss, a resident of Downtown North,
on Jun 3, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Mark Weiss is a registered user.

I recommend the Spike Lee movie "Do the Right Thing" from 1989 which gives a poetic and cinematic voice to an argument that maybe overlaps with @Latrelle but I cannot recall precisely if Malcolm X "by any means" necessary says something that is translated as "it is expedient to damage property and break the glass of the Apple Store on University Avenue and steal computers because a man was murdered by Police 2,000 miles away".

I would read any texts that Jessica's posters suggest that say that ("text" meaning books, articles, links not that you need a smart phone or my digits, dig).

What can we learn from all this that help our civilizaton and community going forward?

It's great that teenagers like JZ (!) are helping to frame the dialogue here.


 +   2 people like this
Posted by Mark Weiss, a resident of Downtown North,
on Jun 3, 2020 at 1:41 pm

Mark Weiss is a registered user.

This is JZ's seventh article for the Weekly this year, with nearly 30,000 readers so far and 125 comments!


 +   27 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 3, 2020 at 3:53 pm

Now that all four Minneapolis PD officers have been arrested in the unlawful death of George Floyd, it is imperative that all four are found guilty as a non-unanimous jury decision will result in a hung jury.

In the event of a minimal sentence or a trial predisposition favoring the officers, the streets will erupt again with mass protests, looting & rioting.

Let's hope & pray that this does not occur as the only preventative measure is to convict the four officers & sentence them to the harshest prison terms with minimal options for an early release date.




 +   116 people like this
Posted by Member, a resident of Old Palo Alto,
on Jun 3, 2020 at 11:52 pm

According to the WAPO - only 10 unarmed AA men were killed by police officers in 2019. 20 white unarmed men were killed. Even one is a tragedy but this is a very small number in a country of 330 million. It hardly justifies destroying the country over "systemic racism" that does not exist. We can do better but need perspective, logic, and peace.

Protestors should focus on anti-racism, not BLM. BLM's primary mission is now defunding the police nationally. Law enforcement is already stretched thin and needs our support, the majority are heroes (like they were a few weeks ago during COVID). Web Link


 +   109 people like this
Posted by Woke, a resident of Meadow Park,
on Jun 3, 2020 at 11:56 pm

Did you see the protester holding the sign that says “White people teach your children not to kill black people" ???? wow
Change begins in the black home.....A black man is 700x more likely to be killed by a black man.


 +   1 person likes this
Posted by Mark Weiss, a resident of Downtown North,
on Jun 4, 2020 at 8:59 am

Mark Weiss is a registered user.

Updating a thread or sub thread there's an excellent mural taped to the boards in front of the Apple store on University and also a “Q" that links your cell phone to a resource page created quite meticulously by the protesters and I found this link to my previous question:
Web Link


 +   21 people like this
Posted by Latrelle,, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 4, 2020 at 9:22 am

The primary reasons why police brutality towards people of color remains neglected is because of the powerful (and primarily white) police associations/unions, the DA's office (primarily white & supported by the various (white) police associations/unions and courts (usually white judges supported by both the primarily white police association/unions and local (primarily white) bar associations come re-election time.

Simply put...one political hand washes the other as the American judicial system is totally biased and rigged to disfavor people of color.

There will be absolutely no solution or end in sight for the social problems we are experiencing as a nation because various legal practices have been etched in stone.

The police are rarely held accountable for their misdeeds via 'paid administrative leave', court acquittals and diluted prosecution charges.


 +   96 people like this
Posted by Facts Matter, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood,
on Jun 4, 2020 at 12:28 pm

There is absolutely no statistic evidence of systemic racism in police killings, which is the central charge of these protests and BLM. Quite the contrary. The facts show that proportional to criminal activity blacks are killed *less frequently* by police than what one may expect.

WSJ 6/2/2020 Web Link:
"African-Americans were about a quarter of those killed by cops last year (235), a ratio that has remained stable since 2015. That share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict, since police shootings are a function of how often officers encounter armed and violent suspects. In 2018, the latest year for which such data have been published, African-Americans made up 53% of known homicide offenders in the U.S. and commit about 60% of robberies, though they are 13% of the population."

By all means let the full force of the law come down on the officers in the Floyd case. They will have their day in court (sorry, protesters' opinions do not count in US jurisprudence, thankfully) to present their side of things and present medical input from coroners (you may be surprised how many factors may be at play in his death). By all means institute better training for police officers, but it should not be specific to race, since all lives matter " who is saying that non-blacks aren't dying in similarly tragic circumstances?

About half of all US murders are black-on-black. Even if one accepted the horrific proposition that BlackLivesMatter more than those of other races, where is the outrage about those black lives, whether in BLM or gun control discussions?

People of conscience must consider the data, vs only their emotions or other agendas, and then refine their positions. I have. We must also refuse to be partisan about this, in the spirit of a less polarized culture. I feel I'm doing my part on this.


 +   57 people like this
Posted by Red Ink, a resident of Greenmeadow,
on Jun 4, 2020 at 12:47 pm

Ms. Zang's post contains so many unsupported assertions and so much faulty reasoning that it would be impossible to challenge all of them in a single post. But let me begin by questioning a basic assumption fueling the rage which powers both the peaceful demonstrators and the violent looters: that Officer Chauvin was motivated by racism when he carried out his insouciant brutality.

In viewing hours of video coverage of the arrest and mistreatment, I have yet to come across any that contain racist remarks by the officer. The smartphones' cameras were sensitive enough to detect Mr. Floyd's gasps of "I can't breathe" and a nearby officer's suggestion that it was time for Officer Chauvin to stop restraining Mr. Floyd that way. But strangely, with probably millions of people in and out of the news media looking diligently for such evidence of racist intent, it hasn't surfaced.

Maybe it will. But until it does, are we really just going to excuse billions in property damage and weeks of disruption in cities across America on the basis of a "maybe"? Ominously, the answer in many quarters, including Ms. Zang's, may be Yes.


 +   26 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 4, 2020 at 3:27 pm

> "But let me begin by questioning a basic assumption fueling the rage which powers both the peaceful demonstrators and the violent looters: that Officer Chauvin was motivated by racism when he carried out his insouciant brutality.

In viewing hours of video coverage of the arrest and mistreatment, I have yet to come across any that contain racist remarks by the officer."

~ The last time I checked, actions speak louder than words. You can defend police improprities all you want but the proof is in the pudding (aka video).

Chances are the four officers will be acquitted and life goes on BUT
in the long run, America will need to watch it's back even further as these incidents will only re-occur if left unchecked.


 +   23 people like this
Posted by Jessica Zang, a Palo Alto Online blogger,
on Jun 4, 2020 at 4:35 pm

Jessica Zang is a registered user.

Hello all,

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read through my writing. I appreciate every view and every person who shares their opinion down below as well, as I am often educated by different perspectives.

@Red Ink, thank you for addressing this issue respectfully. I want to point out that I never mentioned that Chauvin was motivated by racism to kill George Floyd, and unfortunately, we will probably never know. Racial intent is not the problem BLM is addressing; it is the failure to hold police accountable for crimes committed against people of color that is the problem. It is not this particular instance alone that fuels the movement; rather, it is the numerous times that unarmed black men (and women) are killed at the hands of police officers who are so often not held accountable that spurs people to action. Regardless of racial intent or not, officers who fail to protect their people and instead kill them should be held accountable and be condemned, which is what is happening right now. But for many other stories like Floyd’s, victims did not receive such justice. My opinion is also aligned with yours in that people should not loot stores and destroy property, but I also wanted to point out that most times people protesting are not the ones who loot. Hope that clears things up.

@Facts Matter, thank you as well for being respectful, and looking at evidence before making a judgement. I believe that the movement addresses police brutality primarily in the form of killings of unarmed black men, who commit non-violent lesser crimes. These men do not deserve to die. In these cases, black people are killed disproportionally to their percentage in the US population. As you can see https://mappingpoliceviolence.org, African Americans are 1.3 times more likely to be unarmed when killed by police. They are also very rarely (1%, see link) held accountable. You’re right; all lives do matter, and they should be treated equally as such. We are specifying that Black Lives Matter not because they matter more, but because of these issues that appear time and time again that specifically target Black Americans. I hope that helps to clarify what I was trying to say.

@Member, thank you for using statistics! However, we must acknowledge that Black Americans make up around 13-14% of the US population while white Americans make up more than 60%. Knowing this, we should reconsider what those numbers mean in the context of our population here in America. Thanks for reading!

Thank you,
Jessica Zang


 +   44 people like this
Posted by Lynn, a resident of another community,
on Jun 5, 2020 at 8:01 am

If violence and looting had anything to do with fighting systemic racism, then victims of the chaos would NOT be African Americans! So how do we explain the senseless, merciless assassinations of noble African-Americans like the late Capt. David Dorn of St. Louis and pillar-of-the-multi-cultural-community in Indianapolis, Chris Beaty? Beaty and Dorn stood for law and order, and it got them killed!

The proverbial 'elephant-in-the-room' is the problem of 'Black-on-Black' crime in this nation! A lot of the carnage we are seeing in connection to protests doesn't have as much to do with the color of people's skin, but with the color of their HEARTS. Those who loot, mug, pillage and murder have dark, evil hearts --no matter the tone of their skin that can be seen from the outside.

Let's call the situation for what it is! Evil run amok under the cover of 'peaceful protests.' We have to admit that we NEED police help to address Black on Black crime in our nation. Our African-American police officers need our help, support and prayers.


 +   56 people like this
Posted by Jennifer, a resident of another community,
on Jun 5, 2020 at 11:53 am

Rest in peace Capt. David Dorn. A respectable man that the African American community can honor. Police officers do need our support, but I don't blindly support them. There are good and bad apples in every profession. That being said, 98% of us could NEVER be a police officer. The first thing a police officer will look for is your attitude. And if you don't cooperate, you have nobody to blame but yourself whether you're white, green, orange or pink. Take responsibility for your own actions. The difference between a parent and the police is when a police officer tells you to do something, they mean it. And you better do it. Effective immediately.


 +   29 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 5, 2020 at 12:21 pm

> "I support the police #BlueLivesMatter"

>> " The first thing a police officer will look for is your attitude. And if you don't cooperate, you have nobody to blame but yourself whether you're white, green, orange or pink."

^ Yeah right...like this morning in Buffalo, NY where the PD blatantly shoved an elderly white man (75) to the pavement & then FALSELY claimed/reported that the man had 'tripped'.

Fortunately video reportage from a bystander captured what really occurred & the officers have been FIRED...good riddance.

The elderly VICTIM of this crime against society is now recuperating in a local hospital where he is listed in serious but stable condition.

They say one bad apple can spoil the barrel but in America...the bad apples in law enforcement are seemingly ubiquitous.

In reference to the aforementioned 'quotes'...all lives do matter but cooperation with law enforcement does not necessarily result in positive or constructive results as the PD often embellishes or simply opts to falsely create their own biased accounts of various incidents requiring their 'intervention(s)'.




 +   6 people like this
Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood,
on Jun 5, 2020 at 2:20 pm

@ Moderator.

At first you removed a post of mine and left deleted. To which I replied speechless. Now you have removed the whole post and left the speechless comment. It makes it look as if I am speechless at the topic, not at the deletion. If you are going to remove the topic entirely then please also remove the speechless or at least add in reference to a deleted comment.

I am not speechless at the topic. I had made a point you chose to remove. I hope readers do not think I am something I am not due to this deletion.


 +   6 people like this
Posted by Jessica Zang, a Palo Alto Online blogger,
on Jun 5, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Jessica Zang is a registered user.

Hi @Resident!

I was equally confused this morning as I am not the sole moderator of these comments, and it must have been another moderator who made those changes. I originally saw your comment, which I will paste below for other's viewing:

"Larry Elder, an African American, has a great deal to say that is worth hearing. This video shows that families, and fathers in particular, are important to black young men. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuT-g9amfPw"

Later, it said on my editing platform that the post had been edited to say "Post removed," which I had no part in. I thought initially that perhaps you, Resident, decided to remove the post and edited your own comment to say "Post removed," so I decided to remove the comment since I was under the impression that you didn't want the comment there. Now, I understand that it was not your intention/action to remove the comment, and I am genuinely baffled at who did this, as your comment did not violate any of our guidelines.

Again, sorry for the confusion. I make sure to never delete/edit any comments of my viewers as I value your opinions and the time you take to express them. I hope you can understand that I never deleted your comment and I have also removed the "Speechless!" comment as other viewers may take it out of context.

Thanks for understanding,
Jessica


 +   12 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 5, 2020 at 2:39 pm

Speaking of 'bad apples', it was recently reported on CNN that 57 members of the Buffalo Emergency Response Team (aka cops) have RESIGNED in support of the two Buffalo PD officers accused of shoving the 75 year old elder to the pavement & then lying about the incident in their report.

The two officers were merely SUSPENDED (rather than FIRED as I initially posted) and the 57 resignations seemingly represent a show of police 'solidarity'...how reassuring.

In addition to another obvious example of systemic police brutality, this incident also constitutes physical ELDER ABUSE which is a FELONY in most states.

Chances are this PD impropriety will merely result in yet another 'slap on the wrist' as the police unions/associations have a lot of clout & the DA's rely on law enforcement to pad their cases.

Same old story.




 +   14 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 5, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Original quotation:
"while posing no threat to police officers, and most of the time the officers in questions are not charged with any crimes. The law states that a person must pose a reasonable threat to others to justify using deadly force. With the help of videos and surveillance, we see that too often officers use such force without reasonable threat posed."

^ Absolutely. And in regards to the Buffalo PD shoving an elder white man to the ground...
The 57 Buffalo PD officers resigned from their task force duties (but did not resign from their regular PD jobs) is because their local policeman's association/union warned them that the union would only provide legal expenses for the initial two officers suspended for this recent incident involving unecessary force. Any other law enforcement officer accused of similar improprities against civilians would be liable for their own legal costs.

Conclusion...the 57 officers resigned from the task force because they no longer have blanket legal coverage for any unlawful or unwarranted improprities. It would bankrupt the police association war chest!

This speaks volumes in terms of evaluating who the culprits really are when it comes to 'keeping the peace' and protecting ALL American citizenry regardless of race, color, creed and age.

As aforementioned, the police unions/associations play a major role in perpetuating these kinds of social problems & issues.


 +   34 people like this
Posted by Courtney, a resident of Downtown North,
on Jun 6, 2020 at 1:02 am

Why do black lives only seem to matter when killed by white police officers? What happened is a disgrace and the police responsible should get the worst possible outcome for them. I was sickened and appalled as I was many times before. But we need to be United and fight for the same thing and condemn the same things.
1. Why dont black lives matter and the black criminals get called out by the BLM movement and when a black person murders another black person. No one ever seems to mention these black lives. The dead doesn't matter and the killer is not even mentioned.
2. Why don't BLM call out the looters and violent protesters and distance the movement from them people and say what they are doing is wrong.
3. How is defunding the police t going to help Americans at all regardless of color.
4. All lives matter is correct. But what we need to educate people on is that black lives matter too. It's not about white lives. Asian lives etc not mattering. It's about don't forget that black peoples lives matter just as much as everyone else.


 +   20 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 6, 2020 at 9:45 am

> "3. How is defunding the police to going to help Americans at all regardless of color."

^ Less money for their assault weapons and armored cars (which should only be in the hands of the National Guard and U.S. military).

On the other hand, funding for additional pre-employment psychological testing and vetting would be useful along with establishing powerful citizen oversight committees to counterbalance and circumvent the coverups of countless police associations/unions when it comes to judicial & disciplinary actions.


 +   12 people like this
Posted by Taxpayer Going Poor, a resident of South of Midtown,
on Jun 6, 2020 at 4:04 pm

There's injustice in every part of life from justice to education to healthcare systems. Disparity of wealth is a huge problem. We live in an oligarchy - government of and by a few at the top, who exercise power for their own benefit.
Taxpayers have no rights regarding where their money is spent and so there's wasted money going to government salaries and overgenerous pensions.
I don't care for President Trump and did not vote for him, but I like that he's not so politically correct and opted out of collecting the presidential salary. I don't see Congressmen/women or many govt. officials saying they will take a heavy pay cut ever. Congresswoman Anna Eshoo, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and many others are getting paid big bucks. They're living very comfortably while there are slum neighborhoods across America, homeless, and people living in RVs on El Camino Real in Palo Alto.


 +   7 people like this
Posted by Walter McMillan, a resident of College Terrace,
on Jun 7, 2020 at 9:46 am

We said -> black lives matter
NEVER said -> only black lives matter
We know -> All lives matter
We just need YOUR HELP with #blacklivesmatter because BLACK LIVES are in DANGER.

Thank You


 +   14 people like this
Posted by Courtney, a resident of Downtown North,
on Jun 7, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Latrelle I see you avoided my other points? You know I am right and its sad. I want the world to support the BLM movement. But with these unanswered questions and the refusal to distance from the looters and even cry out to the public that the looting must stop the movement can only go so far. As for the defunding police it is just ridiculous. Yes I get that there is an issue that needs sorted yesterday. But defunding them is not the way.


 +   4 people like this
Posted by Papuga, a resident of Portola Valley,
on Jun 7, 2020 at 5:11 pm

[Post removed.]


 +   13 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 8, 2020 at 8:30 am

> "Latrelle I see you avoided my other points?"
>> "Why dont black lives matter and the black criminals get called out by the BLM movement and when a black person murders another black person."
>>> "Why don't BLM call out the looters and violent protesters and distance the movement from them people and say what they are doing is wrong."

^ From a sociological perspective (and perhaps with the exception of the Asian community), certain ethnic groups (aka 'people of color') tend to be more prone to domestic violence, felonious activities and substance abuse.

Pervasive poverty, ongoing racism, a sense of hopelessness + parental absenteeism
and limited education play key roles in this social dilemma.

While many of the active & peaceful protesters have condemned the destruction and looting of private property, it has been noted by the media that some (or much) of this wanton destruction has been instigated by outside factors using both the protests and the BLM movement to augment their own agendas of anarchy and anti-government sentiments.

The bottom line as others have mentioned is that all lives matter (including those in law enforcement). However, systemic bullying, overt racism and the reckless abandonment of public safety (via an unchecked 007 'license to kill') on the part of most PDs have led to the pervasive problem of police brutality & it is often targeted towards African-Americans & Hispanics.


>>>> "What about Christian Lives Matter? Each day 6 Christians are killed for their believes allover the world mostly in some shit hole Muslim countries and no reaction. Here one professional criminal was unlawfully killed. Just open your eyes you hipocrites!!"

^ As far as Christians being killed by Muslims...throughout the course of history, Christians have killed other Christians (i.e. in Ireland) and Muslims have killed other Muslims (i.e. ISIS).

Killing other people in the name of one's faith is the true hypocrisy.


 +   18 people like this
Posted by Courtney, a resident of Downtown North,
on Jun 8, 2020 at 5:11 pm

Sorry Latrelle that's doesn't cut it. The black lives matter movement is a good thing. But it is run really badly. Why do they only matter when a white man kills a black man. When a black man kills a black man blm distance themselves from it. Doesn't their black lives matter?? It's like double standards. Call out the killers even if they are black. Show us that all black lives matter. Stop condoning black on black crimes. And stop sticking up.for the looters and violent protesters. If they are not part of ur movement then make it clear they are not welcome


 +   6 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 9, 2020 at 7:35 am

> "Sorry Latrelle that's doesn't cut it. The black lives matter movement is a good thing. But it is run really badly. Why do they only matter when a white man kills a black man. When a black man kills a black man blm distance themselves from it."

^ Sorry Courtney but your interpretation of BLM doesn't cut it either. The BLM movement is about unchecked POLICE-related murders of African-Americans and the much needed reforms to prevent such unwarranted and unlawful incidents from further occuring.

Colin Kaepernick 'kneeling down during the national anthem' at NFL games was not about disrespecting the American flag (as misinterpreted by countless white observers including POTUS45, Drew Brees & the white NFL owners) but rather to protest POLICE brutality towards people of color.

You are correct in that black people murder black people but white people murder white people as well. As a matter of fact, people in general (and around the world) have been known to murder others for a variety of reasons, some illogical.

As far as the looting is concerned, material goods can be replaced but lives cannot.
FYI & FWIW...I am not condoning or advocating looting, just saying.

Constructive and positive inter-race relations are still a long ways from becoming a reality. POLICE reform is the first step.


 +   6 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 9, 2020 at 8:38 am

@Courtney

Just a reminder...the theme and crux of this blog (as presented by Ms. Yang) is quote:

"the Black Lives Matter movement is not about inciting violence. It is about justice and equality, and putting an end to police brutality that systemically fails to be held accountable, as well as countless other injustices that black people face on a day-to-day basis."

Note: POLICE BRUTALITY & RACISM in America.

Individual murder statistics committed by various ethnicities is irrelevant to this blog topic. As aforementioned, people (regardless of their skin color) kill one another from time to time.

You might as well add war to your argument.




 +   13 people like this
Posted by Alex, a resident of another community,
on Jun 9, 2020 at 10:27 am

Hi Jessica,

I just stumbled across your blog. I applaud you for your involvement. You should be made aware of a joint University of Michigan/University of Maryland (my alma mater)study on police shootings and race. They found, unequivocally, that if anything, white people are equally or more likely to be shot by police:

Web Link

Unfortunately, that brings into question the premise of your article, which hinges on an assumption which is academically disproved. I'll book mark this page and see what your response is. Note: I'm note defending Chauvin. I have a daughter a little younger than you, and I try to teach her to think rationally and critically.


 +   17 people like this
Posted by ResidentX, a resident of Barron Park,
on Jun 9, 2020 at 10:53 am

ResidentX is a registered user.

I know left does not like facts or logic, but lets try.
1) Most people (not all, but most) on the "right" do support equality for all, including black community, and support police being accountable before the law like everyone else (why it is a fact? check polls and public statements)
2) High school logic class: if there will be no protests, than there will be no looting and violence.
BLM and Antifa protests have violent slogans as "no justice - no peace" (what do you think it is asking protesters to do with "no peace"?)
Hence, as most people, (and big surprise here) : including the President, support peaceful protests, unfortunatelly 2020 Floyd protest cannot go without violence and looting.


 +   2 people like this
Posted by juliestinkypoo, a resident of Jordan Middle School,
on Jun 9, 2020 at 5:48 pm


why are we supporting the blue people? #rainbow #lgbtq #orangelivesmatter #kaitlinbennett is my wife


 +   21 people like this
Posted by stacia_911, a resident of another community,
on Jun 10, 2020 at 12:10 am

I'm just going to put this out there, and I realize not many people will agree with me but that's ok...in America we have a right to our own opinions and a right to freely speak them.

I am 49 years old, Native American/White. I grew up in a poor neighborhood outside of Compton. The color of my skin did not prevent me from becoming friends with others that were lighter or darker than me. I have never been racist a single day in my life and I treat everyone with the same level of respect they treat me with. You get attitude with me, I'll get one right back! No problem! At the same time, we all bleed red on the inside and NOBODY'S LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYONE ELSE'S...you can get angry about that if you want, that's fine with me too!

Two summers ago I was standing in line at the convenient store part of a truck stop and a black man came in to pay for his fuel.
I noticed he was sweaty but it was sort of warm outside so I didn't think much of it. His breathing was labored though and he dropped right in front of me. His head landed on the tops of my feet (Thank God otherwise he would have busted his head open). Everyone just stood there, some took out their stupid cell phones and began recording and out of nowhere I heard a voice say..."Call 911.....everyone back up and give me some room!" it took me a minute to realize that voice belonged to me. I dropped to my knees and checked for a pulse...there was none. He was not breathing.

I began performing CPR and right when the EMT's finally got there to take over I got a pulse and shallow breaths. I gave my info to the EMT and later on that evening I received a phone call from the man's wife. She told me he was stable and she would be flying out to be with him with their little girl. I asked her if there was anything I could do to help and she began crying...she said I gave her husband back to her. I told her that God put her husband at the right place at the right time and I was just trying to help in any way that I possibly could...but truly it was God's plan that saved him...not me.

I went to the hospital the next day to see how he was doing, and brought some food for his wife and daughter. He was in good spirits, was scheduled for heart surgery but he was stable. He asked me to come closer to him, he grabbed my hand and tears rolled down his cheeks...(I was fine until then, I can't help but get choked up when I see a grown man cry...it gets me every single time). He said, I cannot thank you enough for what you did for us, you are my guardian angel. I blushed and wipped my runny nose and told him I was just at the right place at the right time...he was my brother through Christ and I was not about to let him go without a fight, and I would hope if I was in that same situation someone would try to help me. I kissed him on the cheek....hugged his wife and daughter and went back home. We still keep in touch....I guess we will be bonded for life.

In a way I resent the fact that I am being accused of having "white privilege" or that I should be kneeling to apologize for the sins of people that committed them a long time ago. So please forgive me when I say, the only one I will ever kneel for is that man the day I brought him back from death...and my God. I owe no one anything more than that.


 +   8 people like this
Posted by Rodney, a resident of another community,
on Jun 11, 2020 at 10:42 am

I have to say - Understood that many of the rioters and looters are not the people who came to protest.

But you have to acknowledge that the rioting and looting most likely will not occur without the protest. No Protest, no rioting, no looting and no burning. Therefore it is clearly the responsibility of the organizers of these protests to plan and make sure that they do not trigger these actions. They may not intend them, but they are a result. More likely in the inner city areas.

Just as the road blockages need to be coordinated. I have seen too many times a impromptu road block resulting in drivers being pulled out and beaten to allow myself to be blocked like that.


 +   5 people like this
Posted by Tremor, a resident of another community,
on Jun 12, 2020 at 12:20 pm

Uhmmm so many of the riots and looting were actually during the day. Look at the media videos. I do believe they become more violent at night but your story is actually incorrect once again trying to simplify whats happening as peaceful and misguiding readers.


 +   9 people like this
Posted by RobinElsenbaumer, a resident of Woodside,
on Jun 12, 2020 at 5:25 pm

I am trying to educate myself so please bear with me, as my intentions are good.In NO way do I find the killing of George Floyd ok. We cannot continue to allow police to kill people. AT ALL. What I don't understand is why BLM doesnt embrace ALL people whose lives are destroyed by BAD cops?Why cant ALL races of people be included? I know I am not the only person that thinks this way and you know what?? This is causing me to become a person I am not by labeling myself by color which I almost just did. I REFUSE to do that. That is not what Martin Luther King wanted. He wanted us all to live together and NOT to say that black man that white man...I thought...I was taught not to do that...and I am confused. Because I grew up in rural northern california I dont know many people with black skin.I have never thought of a friend with black skin as "my black" friend . Ive thought of them by my friend "friends name" Now the younger generation is telling me that I am a racist because I don't separate people by color. And ,PLEASE, hear the words of my heart now, I have never looked at another person and thought they were less than I am because their skin color is different. I in NO WAY am denying that there are people that do that. I have been treated meanly by people because my skin is white but not just by black people. All minority groups do it. I do not know how anyone could have just stood by and watched George Floyd die. I realize that I DONT know how it feels to raise a child with black skin in this society/ but how do we become equal if we continue to separate ourselves by color?The kids say I need to apologize for the privilege I have and I need to educate myself. Should I apologize for the color of my skin? Its alienating me, but more importantly its alienating everyone who isn't black , when we keep hearing black lives matter. How do we all join together and DEMAND cops quit killing us? When I lost my son it hurt the same as when you lost yours. I want you to know I feel your pain. I'm sorry if I dont know how to express this in a way that makes you know it. We need to talk to each other, hug each other, cry together and fight this injustice side by side. White people want to know black people. Black people usually wont let us. Please everyone do not attack me. I AM trying to understand.


 +   12 people like this
Posted by Chris, a resident of another community,
on Jun 13, 2020 at 5:17 am

BLM want people to understand not all members are criminals because of looting and killings of police officers. However, they turn around and paint everybody with the same brush when it is a topic that affects them:such as Police, Justice system, social system etc...So which one is it?: do we paint all with the same brush or not? Which ever one you want applied to you, you must accept you have to do the same towards others.


 +   8 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 14, 2020 at 11:45 am

> "What I don't understand is why BLM doesnt embrace ALL people whose lives are destroyed by BAD cops?Why cant ALL races of people be included? "

^ There are countless WHITE peaceful protesters supporting BLM and they are protesting police brutality towards all people regardless of color.

The majority of police shootings (towards African-Americans) have been exercised by WHITE racist police officers...and these sociopaths need to believed of their duties and racist agendas.


 +   5 people like this
Posted by A Good Neighbor, a resident of Stanford,
on Jun 14, 2020 at 3:17 pm

If we want change, we got to do it peacefully. For those with intent to destroy and loot, you all will get bad karma. So please do not do this and make fools out of yourselves. You all look like crazy savages and a disgrace to your race.
I understand that "Black Lives Matter" is now the movement after "MeToo Movement."
I support the BLM peaceful protests. However, blacks must realize they're not alone and to know war crimes were terrible too, such as the Holocaust and Massacre of Nanking.
There's hardly news on Nanking compared to the Holocaust, but it was brutal.
Nanking Massacre, also called Rape of Nanjing, was a mass killing and ravaging of Chinese citizens and capitulated soldiers by soldiers of the Japanese Imperial Army after its seizure of Nanjing, China, on December 13, 1937, during the Sino-Japanese War. Nanking was destroyed to ruins and took years to recover.
I don't generalize all Japanese people to be like the evil soldiers. There's always going to be some bad apples in a bunch in every race or group. Blacks have targeted and murdered Asians too, but Asians don't go extreme with violent revenge and destroy black communities. It would be counterproductive and stupid.
In any crisis, everyone must come together and work things out. We are human and all descendants of Adam and Eve. It's tragic how money, work, religions, races, political views, beliefs, and other issues divide us so much globally when we're all related. We are family in this world no matter if we like it or not.


 +   2 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 15, 2020 at 12:04 pm

> "Asians don't go extreme with violent revenge and destroy black communities. It would be counterproductive and stupid.
In any crisis, everyone must come together and work things out. We are human and all descendants of Adam and Eve."

^ Adam & Eve had TWO sons (Cain and Abel) who married two women from out of nowhere...where did their wives come from being that Adam and Eve were the ORIGINAl man and woman (acording to some)?

Lastly most Asians tend to be obsequious when it comes to challenging societal wrongs (with the possible exception of Viet Nam and the pro-democracy movement in Hong Kong).

During World War Two, thousands of Japanese-Americans obsequiously went off to internment camps with nary a protest leaving SF and LA Japantowns intact...they should have burned them down rather than leaving the neighborhoods open and available for other non-Asian exploiters to take financial advantage of.

Using Adam and Eve or Asian-Americans as examples of
social reform is LUDICROUS.


 +   5 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 15, 2020 at 12:34 pm

Lest I forget...for those who cling to mythology, Cain killed Abel & left a widow of unknown origins.
So nothing has changed.

2000 years ago Jesus died for the sins of man and very little has changed over the past 2000 years...perhaps he died in vain but his teachings are noteworthy.

>>"Hence, as most people, (and big surprise here) : including the President, support peaceful protests..."

^ SERIOUSLY? One photo-op holding an upside-down Bible & using the police force/National Guard to forcefully clear a pathway of 'peaceful protestors' is also LUDICROUS.


 +   8 people like this
Posted by Luke, a resident of another community,
on Jun 18, 2020 at 11:29 am

Latrelle, in a study already cited by Alex, Web Link

It was found that the officer's race did not matter when it came to predicting whether black or white citizens were shot.

However, because black police officers were drawn from the black community and often policed there, if anything black people were more likely to be shot by a black officer.


 +   17 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 19, 2020 at 11:52 am

> "It was found that the officer's race did not matter when it came to predicting whether black or white citizens were shot."

> "However, because black police officers were drawn from the black community and often policed there, if anything black people were more likely to be shot by a black officer."

^ Most likely because black police officers (like black Republicans) are in denial of who they really are...not that Democrats (regardless of color) are any better.

Just a reminder...Biden teamed-up with Southern segregationists Jesse Helms of NC & Strom Thurmond of SC to challenge integrated schooling vis busing during the 1970s.

Biden is no better than POTUS45...just more subtle and snake tongued.


 +   8 people like this
Posted by Annette Plumley, a resident of another community,
on Jun 20, 2020 at 6:49 pm

LOL This author must be snorting something awfully strong. 'Peaceful' protests?? Seriously? They destroyed more than five dozen cities and continue to vandalize monuments. The protests in the UK were never peaceful. I really hate the way the left constantly lies. I suppose the zone in Seattle is a peaceful community, too? Dipshit.

Note: The author does not “snort" anything and did not appreciate the accusation. Thanks for reading anyways Ms. Plumley! We appreciate the time you took to express your opinion :)


 +   15 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 21, 2020 at 12:54 pm

> "They destroyed more than five dozen cities and continue to vandalize monuments. They destroyed more than five dozen cities and continue to vandalize monuments."

^ Burning & looting is WRONG as well as unlawful.

The removal of controversial racist monuments should be left to the citizenry of the respective cities as it is reflective of their overall mentalities and/or ignorance.

In many ways, controversial statues are constant reminders of America's racist and ethnocentrist past and only the BIGOTS worship them as icons.


 +   1 person likes this
Posted by Lou Stan, a resident of another community,
on Jun 21, 2020 at 11:53 pm

[Post removed due to copyright violation.]


 +   4 people like this
Posted by Lou Stan, a resident of another community,
on Jun 22, 2020 at 6:30 pm

All those socialist-democrats, leftist, BLM Leaders = working together trying to dismantle USA good name, economy, cultural stability and the freedom of individuality, within our own midst.
Ironic that all these qualities, sooo. wanted by most people around the world, a bunch of deceivers' vindictive cynical clumps[are Globalist-Marxists]. These USA haters are using, taking advantage: of the blacks, latinos & other minorities due to their resent extended lockdown rebellions, saturated melancholic and recent pessimist momentum[95% youth] of these bunch of youth breakdowns[they still guilty of their bad doings]... . So, the Truth!, these BLM leaders do not care about George Floyd nor his family[ just the bright$$$ idea!], but a fact that is the opposition strategist along with other leftist and now making 'big time money' in other word all to gain 'FFP' and they got a lot of that, lately, getting help by a-]Soro[who hates USA, he likes to create riots and pretend that he prophesies over the countries], b-]the crooked Clintons' lady [Jezebel spirit] on charge, and c-]some other celebrities that I am chocked about these household names big donations wondering if these last ones really check these BLM leaders hyenas to find out their real plans and purpose for our country. BLM leaders[Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, Opal Tometi & Melina Abdullah, behind the pretention as 'if' they care[NO, they don't], check their backgrounds and see 4Ur selves.
[Portion removed.]





 +   4 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 23, 2020 at 10:12 am

>"All those socialist-democrats, leftist, BLM Leaders = working together trying to dismantle USA good name, economy, cultural stability and the freedom of individuality, within our own midst."

^ POTUS45 is doing a pretty good job of the 'dismantling' himself.


 +   1 person likes this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 23, 2020 at 11:59 am

@ Jessica Yang

^ Thank you for initiating your thought-provoking blog topic...it should be at the forefront of the blog listings on Town Square.

@ Lou Stan

^ In terms of political demographics, African-Americans registered as Democrats tend to vote in larger than Hispanics and Millennials registered as Democrats. White Republicans (many who are now distancing themselves from POTUS45) vote in large numbers BUT things are going to change when/if anti-POTUS45 Millennials & Hispanics get further involved in the voting process.

While Biden is not the ideal presidential candidate as well,
our nation needs a return to statesmanship, diplomacy, tact and intelligence on the part of an American president.

So whether MAGA-minded or in favor of changing horses....get out and vote!


 +  Like this comment
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 23, 2020 at 12:03 pm

@ Jessica Zang

^ Apologies for my mis-typing of your surname.


 +   2 people like this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 23, 2020 at 12:28 pm

> "trying to dismantle USA good name, economy, cultural stability and the freedom of individuality, within our own midst."

^ On a lighter note and getting back to Mr. Lou Stan's unfounded commentary...

With the removal/revision of controversial trademark imagery such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's, perhaps the Betty Crocker and Newman's Own trademarks should also be removed.

Let's be fair...if Betty Crocker is allowed to continue (sans Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's), it might imply white supremacy in the household kitchen!

Maybe it's best to refer this potential marketing connunundrum to POTUS45 as he is supposedly the self-appointed leader and spokesperson for The Apprentice TV show and nation as a whole.


 +   12 people like this
Posted by White Lives Matter!!, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 23, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Like Latrelle stated. Lets change these brand names. While we're at it we should change the BET's name as well. That's racist against whites and every other ethnicity too. Black Entertainment Network should be more racially integrated like everything else -- surely you'd agree. What outrage would their be if we had a White People TV Channel?? That's what I thought. At one time blacks wanted reparations for their ancestors who were slaves -- remember that? Hypocrites is indeed the correct term used by many here. I do not support BLM and never will. I've personally been boycotting any company who does and I've let them know as much. They have one message (which conveniently changes depending on the argument) and if you do not agree with what they are chanting then "Your Part of the Problem" OR better yet, "Your a Racist". Whatever.. Like others have said -- they should be standing up for everyone. George Floyd's murder is/was a tragedy and the officers involved should be punished however, I can think of at least one person of color who BLM also touts as being "murdered" by the police who was charging an officer, tried to take the officers weapon and was rightfully shot and killed but that somehow is the officers fault too. I'm 49 years old and have come to find that black people are some of most racist out there. You should look in the mirror before you judge others. I believe the saying going something like -- he without sin cast the first stone?


 +   9 people like this
Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood,
on Jun 24, 2020 at 6:32 am

Part of what we are seeing now is nothing to do with whether we think black lives matter, which of course we all think, but because whether we think the organization known as Black Lives Matter is a just cause. The organization is political in nature and the fundraising and aims have become clouded. The aims of defunding police will not help the average young black person get an education, get a job that pays more than minimum wage, prevent black on black violence, or enable a police officer to investigate criminal activity in an impartial manner.

The previous poster makes good sense. MLK wanted us to be judged by the content of our character and we need to be able to do that without giving special treatment to anyone due to the color of their skin.

If we can't discuss these types of things rationally without shouting, anger and fear, then we are not moving forward. Nobody should be forced to join a movement when the movement has hijacked a phrase that nobody is denying has a worthy sentiment.


 +   8 people like this
Posted by Thomas King, a resident of another community,
on Jun 24, 2020 at 9:29 am

If the BLM protesters want peace, they should be doing something about the looting. They are right there. They guy right next to them is breaking the law, stealing and destroying. Does BLM support what's right, or don't they?


 +   1 person likes this
Posted by Latrelle, a resident of East Palo Alto,
on Jun 26, 2020 at 10:50 am

All things considered, the topics being discussed (i.e. pervasive racism, police brutality, protests, rioting, looting etc.) will never truly disappear from the American landscape as these mindsets are firmly engrained in our country's culture.

While equality can be legislated, prejudice cannot and there lies the problem
as everyone is entitled to their own thought processes.

Hatred is a part of human nature along with a general disregard for the so-called Ten Commandments as well as the Golden Rule.

Humans by nature are self-serving hypocrites oftentimes caught up in fake appearances and ostensible sanctimony.

There are no color lines involved here...just reality.

90% of the world's problems are created by WHITE people because in most instances, they control the power and the wealth.

Unlike other peoples of color, the African-Americans did not immigrate to the United States. They were transported here in chains.

The '40 acres and a mule' as promised by General Sherman to all liberated slaves following the Civil War was never fulfilled and in today's
dollars this would amount to $400,000.00 per slave.

While monetary reparations to descendants of African-American slaves would prove to be both controversial and perhaps impractical, let's not forget who initiated created this socio-economic imbalance.

The removal of ALL Confederate symbols and namesakes is a step in the right direction as certain WHITE individuals strove to perpetuate inequality and inhumanity.

White people will never truly understand racism because they invented it in America and the African-Americans who hold a certain disdain towards them
are simply following in their footsteps.

Unfortunately this race issue will never be fully resolved in anyone's lifetime as it has been going on for hundreds of years and shows no sign of
ever subsiding...at least among the diehard 'crackers'.

As a result, there will NEVER be any trust between black and white.













 +   6 people like this
Posted by kenny ledbetter, a resident of another community,
on Jun 29, 2020 at 8:21 am

Black Lives Matter (BLM) is an organized movement advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest and intervention when violence is inflicted on Black communities by the police and white vigilantes. After talking to many of the leaders and members of the BLM that are protesting in Northern California, I was impressed that most knew the names of the Black men and women killed when the perpetrators were state law enforcement; on the other hand, I was shocked and sadden that no one knew the names of any of the four young black children killed this weekend in Chicago by black gang members in drive by shootings. Furthermore, I was informed by most of BLM protesters that when the perpetrators are black thugs from the community it is no concern to the movement. To the families and friends of the four black children that died, I offer the tears that are rolling down my cheeks and my condolences for your losses, and personally, I shout out in protest, for their young black life equally matter; regardless of the voiced “no concern to the movement." Finally, I was enlightened to the fact that one major goal of the BLM is to debunk all police departments in the USA, and by extension the murders of the four innocent black children will not have to suffer the consequences of their criminal actions. My circle of life will soon be ending but let me enlighten you to the one and only absolute truth in all the universes. Kenny will be dead and gone but love is what carries on. It is everything. The Walrus once taught: “I am he or she as you are he or she as you are me and we must come together.


 +   8 people like this
Posted by Kenny Ledbetter, a resident of another community,
on Jun 29, 2020 at 8:32 am

Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden had their wishes come true for statues across our nation are being torn down including those of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. The Speaker of the House declared that "The statues... should embody our highest ideals as Americans, expressing who we are and who we aspire to be as a nation. Monuments to men who advocated cruelty and barbarism to achieve such a plainly racist end are a grotesque affront to these ideals. Their statues pay homage to hate, not heritage. They must be removed." Pelosi stated that the American people "know that these [statues] have to go" adding that the president " seems to be the only person left who doesn't get it." WRONG!!! I don't get it.


 +   2 people like this
Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood,
on Jun 29, 2020 at 9:13 am

Let him who has no sin cast the first stone.

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

There is no one righteous, not even one.

The Bible.


 +   8 people like this
Posted by ED, a resident of Charleston Meadows,
on Jun 30, 2020 at 8:31 pm

The well intended but blind uneducated support of BLM is based on a false and misleading representation of facts. BLM isn't about black lives or preseved injustice. It is about the distruction of America and the institutions that represent America. Why don't the death of black lives matter in Chicago and in every major city across America that are lost every day. Where is the supporters of BLM on the death of blacks at the hands of black protestors? Where is BLM and its supporters on the black owned businesses lost as the result of their riots and distruction? I agree that black lives do matter but not just some...ALL.


 +  Like this comment
Posted by Pauline A Pease, a resident of St. Claire Gardens,
on Jul 2, 2020 at 7:12 am

I believe black Lives matter but right now looters and riotors are destroying other black lives by this action


 +  Like this comment
Posted by member, a resident of another community,
on Jul 3, 2020 at 1:39 am

You are all so confused. Quite simply, murdering cops get away with killing human after human, despite all evidence, these murderer's then turn lets kill the cops crowd reaction into a racist incident. By creating the racist statement black lives matter. All lives matter. Get my point? It's murdering baby sacrificing freemasons who do killing. Free to shed blood wherever they go... See the police badge being an upside down star? Sacrifice your firstborn to lucifer. The freemasonic password to the 18th degree is hose-anna, google it. They will get your firstborn, and you will get your 15 minutes of fame, and oh so much charity, enough to start a new anti whatever.org, like, non-masons lives matter... a murderer that gets away with it, then turn it into blame colonialism instead of the wiccan mason who just killed your kid. Has anyone noticed white's never complain about racism, yet blacks are the first to do so? Yea, as a gansta wrapper would call whites wigger, a remix of niger, and a good one too I have to admit, black lives matter means nothing to me now that i see the police murderers get away with their beastiality, brutallity and murder. By being in the blm, supporting those who killed whomever, by simply ignoring so many people shot dead by those who claim they are just. Yeah, they're just killing us, and YOU let them away with it. Pay your dues. kill a black. Kill a white. your more likely to get 15 minutes of fame if your black than white, unless your a mcann of course.. wake up, the end of the age of pisces is the end of the babysacrificers. Corona virus is here for them.


 +   1 person likes this
Posted by Andi Stockton, a resident of another community,
on Jul 4, 2020 at 8:59 pm

Just adding the phrase "report objectionable content" is completely against any open dialogue. And also labels you as extremists. And you know what I mean, if you're honest with yourselves... because for quite a time "objectionable" has meant anything that goes against BLM, or other liberal party pets, particularly transgender.
Why cannot people with other perspectives be allowed to post their views, without risk of vilification or threats of violence? Or (OH NO!) being reported as - really?? - Objectionable?


 +   3 people like this
Posted by Jessica Zang, a Palo Alto Online blogger,
on Jul 4, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Jessica Zang is a registered user.

Hi!

I haven’t removed any comments since I first started writing here. I’m not sure if administration is removing these comments but I’m hoping that they aren’t; I would like all relevant comments to remain on my page, even if I don’t quite agree with them. I’m sorry you or others have experienced this regulation on my page, since I think the main purpose of having that option is to help us identify spam, as that occurs quite regularly on these pages advertising assorted love potions and STD doctors, which definitely aren’t relevant on my page!

Thanks,
Jessica


 +   6 people like this
Posted by USA Patriot, a resident of another community,
on Jul 6, 2020 at 9:13 am

America has asked BLM and protesters to acknowledge and support that a small percentage of bad cops DO NOT represent the entire police force and does not show systemic racism across our entire nation. The absolute majority of police officers are not what they are being accused of. You know it. We know it. But, you are asking us to separate the looters and violent protesters from the main group and not confuse these people with those who are trying to peacefully enact change and raise awareness. This hypocrisy and double standard is unreal!

You say too little officers are not held accountable. Well, I say too little human beings are not held accountable for murdering each other!


 +  Like this comment
Posted by Gary Brown , a resident of Portola Valley,
on Jul 25, 2020 at 7:51 am

Great incite. You're going far.


 +  Like this comment
Posted by Dave M, a resident of Green Acres,
on Jul 26, 2020 at 6:46 am

The author is correct in that the violence has totally corrupted the message of BLM. Also, the ties to the democrat party is going to undermine the election. Many are very angry about what is going on and blame is falling on the BLM movement. More destruction will continue to divide the country...4 more years???


 +   2 people like this
Posted by SickofPoliticks, a resident of Ventura,
on Jul 26, 2020 at 12:27 pm

The Black Lives Matter movement absolutely wants to incite violence. Until people do due diligence, they are supporting and funding the destruction of this country. Some want that. Those that don't, who just want to protest pockets of police brutality, are being wonderful useful tools for Marxists
*****************************************************************************
Many insist Black Lives Matter is a Marxist, anti-police, radical organization that wants to tear down America. Meanwhile, others simply view Black Lives Matter as a heroic movement and powerful slogan signaling support for racial justice and opposition to police brutality.

Both are right. There is Black Lives Matter™?, and there is “black lives matter.

"In 2013, the national outcry over Trayvon Martin's death and George Zimmerman's acquittal sparked a national outcry over racial injustice. Amid this controversy, three activists, Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza, and Opal Tometi, started a hashtag, #BlackLivesMatter, which soon went viral. They then founded the national Black Lives Matter organization.

Black Lives Matter as a broad sentiment and movement then gained national attention and name recognition after the 2014 deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown. Meanwhile, the official group expanded and many more local chapters formed.

No doubt, the organization itself was quite radical from the very beginning. Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors described herself and fellow co-founder Alicia Garza as “trained Marxists" in a recently resurfaced video from 2015.

“We actually do have an ideological frame[work]," Cullors said of her organization. “We are trained Marxists. We are super-versed on, sort of, ideological theories."

The official Black Lives Matter organization is Marxist, is anti-American in its values, and its views are rightfully alarming to anyone who believes in the Constitution, capitalism, and civil society as we know it.

From corporations to politicians to random Facebook users, Black Lives Matter supporters need to do a much better job distancing themselves from the radical organization at the root of their slogan. (Or, alternatively, they should come up with a new and different slogan that doesn't have such malign associations.)

This lack of due diligence is lazy and irresponsible, but more importantly, it's dangerous.

Marxism is a vicious ideology, and it's one that is rooted in a divisive vision of irreconcilable class conflict. As important economist Ludwig von Mises noted, “According to the Marxian view... human society is organized into classes whose interests stand in irreconcilable opposition." Moreover, as Mises explains, Marxists believe that people's very thoughts ought to be determined by their class and that those who differ from the prescribed worldview are class traitors.

Such a divisive ideology only fuels perpetual conflict, not progress toward reconciliation. By failing to drive this toxic extremism out loudly and clearly from their side of the issue, the large majority of Black Lives Matter supporters"who simply seek reform, justice, and reconciliation"take a chainsaw to any chance of achieving common ground and consensus.

When Don Lemon took issue with Terry Crews's take on Black Lives Matter, Crews was crystal clear, saying, “This is the thing. It's a great mantra. It's a true mantra. Black lives do matter. But, when you're talking about an organization, you're talking about the leaders, you're talking about the people who are responsible for putting these things together. It's two different things."

Web Link

Those that say they are "woke" need to actually wake up to the facts. Stop enabling the destruction of this nation and help fix its problems.


 +   1 person likes this
Posted by k, a resident of Adobe-Meadow,
on Jul 27, 2020 at 9:40 am

Got to this article by searching to see if the BLM movement has condoned the violence and looting that has taken place under their banner . Anyone know if they have ? From what I gather the leaders of BLM have stated : "If this country doesn't give us what we want, then we will burn down this system and replace it. All right? And I could be speaking figuratively. I could be speaking literally. It's a matter of interpretation," -Hawk Newsome BLM NY Chapter. Nothing to condone the lives lost during these riots ? Nothing to condone the businesses destroyed? Law enforcement deaths and injuries ? Anyone ?


 +  Like this comment
Posted by IdPnSD, a resident of another community,
on Aug 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm

IdPnSD is a registered user.

“The actions of looters have corrupted the message of those who are demonstrating without violence, and we must recognize that this should not serve as an excuse to stop listening to the pleas of the vast majority." - Money is the root cause of everything. Money can be used to do anything you want. Money can be used to destroy any message, to give any meaning to any activity. Money can destroy a country, a government, and an election too. Money can be used to kill anybody by anybody. Money has purchased all of us. You cannot survive without money; therefore you must obey the person who has money.

Interestingly, money is false, because money is not an object of nature. Therefore you cannot create anything true using money. False can never become true; no matter what you do with it. Everything we know must be false. Mark Twain correctly said, “Majority is always in the wrong". In fact there are many western philosophers who said the similar things. Thus mathematics, physics, economics, medicine, etc. are all wrong. But engineering is not wrong, because engineering uses objects of nature. However, since engineering also uses math, science, and money, therefore engineering is unreliable, unsafe, and pollutes environment.

Since money is false, it cannot be necessary to run any kind of economy. Therefore only way to create truth, peace, justice, etc., is to remove money from the economy. No other method will ever work. Nothing else can save people.


Follow this blogger.
Sign up to be notified of new posts by this blogger.

Email:

SUBMIT

Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

How to Buy a Used EV
By Sherry Listgarten | 5 comments | 2,826 views

Premarital and Couples: Giving Thanks
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,848 views

Gates sets an example for local billionaires to emulate
By Diana Diamond | 3 comments | 1,044 views

Pie Brings People Together
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 1,013 views

Tree Lighting Ceremonies
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 746 views

 

Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund

For the last 26 years, the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund has given away more than $7 million to local nonprofits serving children and families. When you make a donation, every dollar is automatically doubled, and 100% of the funds go directly to local programs. It’s a great way to ensure your charitable donations are working at home.

DONATE HERE