"Save the 2,008 is a toolkit of six measures?simple adjustments to the way the school is run? that would reduce the stress and depression, alienation and distrust, overwork and overcrowding that fill our teenagers' daily lives.
Named last November for the remaining number of students and faculty at our most hard-hit school, Save the 2,008 would:
1. Shrink classes to a friendlier size?strengthening ties between students and their classmates and teachers.
2. Moderate the amounts of nightly homework (through a confidential, student-teacher website).
3. Foster better consultation for AP course loads (to help fight sleep-deprivation).
4. Step between our kids and the school day siren song of their cellphones.
5. Slow the steady bombardment of grade-reporting.
6. Close out the climate of rampant cheating?the anxious atmosphere that kids must breathe, just to run the race of high school."
They are seeking your support, but both financially and with signatures. They are currently raising funds to run an ad in The Palo Alto Weekly. For more information, or to donate: