DeathsHenry Howard Jones
Dr. Henry Howard Jones, whose career in the radiology department at Stanford University School of Medicine spanned 58 years, died at his home Aug. 11 with his wife, Peggy, and family nearby.
Born June 9, 1917, in Altoona, Penn., he was the only surviving child of Henry O. Jones, a urologist, and Euphemia Heilman Jones. He graduated from Haverford College in 1939 with a bachelor's degree in chemistry and attended the graduate chemistry program at Harvard for a year. In 1943 he received his medical degree from Yale University, with a specialty in radiology. He put in long days of work then often headed down to New York City to catch the late shows at jazz clubs.
He served from 1946-48 as an instructor at the U.S. Army School of Roentgenology in San Antonio, Texas. He also served as head of radiology in Bad Constadt, Germany, the orthopedic center for the army of occupation. In 1948 he was hired by his former Yale professor, Henry S. Kaplan, and came to California to join the radiology department at Stanford.
In 1952 he married Margaret ("Peggy") Crusius, an energetic young woman with a private pediatric practice, whom he had met during his internship at Metropolitan Hospital in New York City. Her long career as a pediatrician with the Santa Clara County well-baby and immunization clinics paralleled his career at Stanford. First in Sausalito and then in a home on the Stanford campus, they raised three children: Virginia (born 1952), Henry C. (1954) and Keasley (1957).
He was a founding member of Physicians for Social Responsibility and in 1994 he received the organization's Broad Street Pump Award. He was also the first chief of the radiology service at the Palo Alto Veterans Administration Hospital, a Stanford teaching hospital.
His professional life was synonymous with the Department of Radiology at Stanford, where he served from 1948 to 2006. He left a legacy of more than 2,000 case studies (currently being digitized) from his decades of diagnosing and treating patients with bone and soft tissue tumors.
Into his 80s he started most days by riding his bicycle to the Stanford Hospital, wearing his trademark tweed jacket and brown wingtips, a sheaf of notes to himself clipped to his necktie. He particularly enjoyed his role as a teacher of diagnostic radiology, for which he was awarded the medical school's Henry J. Kaiser Award for Excellence in Teaching.
For many years he played drums in a Dixieland jazz band with friends. Across many decades, he and Peggy were fans of the Stanford basketball, football and Lively Arts programs. They also enjoyed the Stanford Sierra Camp for many years when their children were young.
A particular highlight of his life was the 1968-69 sabbatical year that the family spent in Paris. He and Peggy traveled widely in Europe, as well as to South America, Asia and Australia. Stateside, the family made summer pilgrimages to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and celebrated his and Peggy's 50th anniversary (2002) with family and grandchildren in Hawaii.
He is survived by his wife, Peggy Jones of Stanford; daughter, Virginia Jones of Castro Valley; sons, Henry C. Jones of Eugene, Ore., and Keasley Jones of Berkeley; daughter-in-law, Autumn Stephens; two grandchildren.
A memorial service for friends, family and colleagues, open to all, will be held at Stanford Memorial Church on Thursday, Sept. 20, at 4 p.m., with a reception on campus to follow. For information about parking, or shuttle bus between parking, church and the reception site, contact the church at 650-723-1762. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Stanford Medical School.