http://paloaltoonline.com/square/print/2007/06/08/womans-death-in-fire-is-ruled-accidental


Town Square

Woman's death in fire is ruled accidental

Original post made on Jun 8, 2007

The death of an elderly woman in a Palo Alto house fire on Wednesday afternoon has been ruled by the Santa Clara County Coroner's Office to have been accidental due to smoke inhalation.

Read the full story here Web Link

Comments

Posted by Sympathizer, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jun 8, 2007 at 10:59 am

This is such a shame. My sympathies to the lady's husband and their family.

Hopefully there is a lesson to be learnt from the tragedy. I have no idea from the report about details but it shows just how important smoke detectors are and that they are checked regularly. This must be so much more important for the elderly who can't move as quickly as they used to and perhaps their hearing isn't so good either. I read somewhere that smoke alarms don't seem to wake up children who can sleep through them and it is generally the parents who wake up first and then have to wake their children. Also, some of the homes of elderly people I know are very untidy with clothes, old newspapers, etc. stored all over the place which makes it difficult to more around the house with ease and also fuels a fire much easier than a neat and tidy home.

We should really check on our elderly neighbors and relatives and make sure that there homes are safe and not death traps.


Posted by Barbara McNamara King, a resident of Los Altos
on Jun 9, 2007 at 1:49 pm

Ted, I am so sorry you lost your wife in such a tragic way. Barbara


Posted by Jacques & Beatriz, a resident of another community
on Jun 11, 2007 at 3:40 am

Dear Ted: I do not know where to write, so I am using the Weekly channel in the hope you get this message. We are awfully sorry for this terrible accident. You have been our neighbors for 14 years and we will always remember Barb's kindness. Plase accept our deepest sympathy. Your friends from France, Jacques & Beatriz.