Unattended pot on stove sparks midnight blaze Issues Beyond Palo Alto, posted by Editor, Palo Alto Online, on Dec 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm
Menlo Park, Palo Alto, Redwood City and Woodside firefighters were able to extinguish a two-alarm blaze that had a female trapped inside an apartment building in East Palo Alto early today, Sunday, Dec. 23, a fire chief said.
Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, December 23, 2012, 2:27 PM
Posted by Time-For-NextGen-Stoves, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood, on Dec 23, 2012 at 4:44 pm
It's long past time that stoves are outfitted with timers, and temperature controls that turn of the stove if the surface gets too hot. Additionally, when either the timer turns off a burner, or the whole stove, an alarm would go off to alert the person(s) living in the space where that stove is located that there is a problem that needs their attention.
The hardware to perform these simple control operations is not expensive. The results of having these "smart stoves" would be a significant reduction in residential fires.