Post a New Topic
Arlen Specter will switch his party affiliation
Original post made
by Sharon, Midtown,
on Apr 28, 2009
At least he made an honest statement of why he switched-----
"I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate."
There you have it: He thought he was going to lose.
Specter's decision will give Democrats a 60 seat filibuster proof majority in the Senate assuming Democrat Al Franken is eventually sworn in as the next senator from Minnesota.
Posted by Perspective
a resident of Midtown
on Apr 30, 2009 at 2:36 pm
Welll, the Jones... I mean the Obama..cultists will never be dissuaded by any fact at all, and seem to have the same troubles in connecting different facts together into a coherent whole. This is not new. They are still screaming "no found WMD" as a reason to bash Bush, still ignoring all the facts about WMD, 17 ignored UN resolutions, and the real torture/massacres by Saddam and family ..I suspect that pretty much everything will continue the same on all other areas as well.
But, let's try...
Of course Britain tortured, by the definition of torture which includes "fear of death".."Work with us or we hang you" was just one example of the "torture" by Britain, aka Churchill, in talking to captured German spies. I am certain THEIR prisoners did not eat better or have better room temperatures than the prison guards, and I am certain that the vast majority of their captured enemies were captured IN UNIFORM and not hiding in women and children. Not to mention the stories out today, of course, ( are they true? No clue, but his own family is saying this) about the British torturing his own grandfather back in the struggle for Kenya to throw off Britain.
It is all pretty smoke and mirrors, to distract us from the real problems we face, and the reality that virtually everything Obama has touched has broken more. This is truly an extremely good PR machine we have going now..
What is better, really, since his election, let alone his inauguration?
did you notice the following questions that the Press asked him last night?
1) Who are the "health officials" you are talking to for guidance in dealing with this Swine scare since the top 20 posts, including Surgeon General, aren't filled?
2) Why are you taking guidance about OUR safety from an organization which is run by the UN, which is majority dicatators and want to destroy every liberty in the world, including ours?
3) Why is it too late to shut the borders now, but you have asked for 150 Billion to beef up the borders "in case things change in the future"? why is now too late, but later might not be? What is the trigger?
4) Where is the 150 billion going to come from? Are you just going to print up more, or are you going to cut something else? And what are you going to cut?
5) Where is the data, papertrail, or people who worked with you when you were "part of" fixing our Vaccine/pandemic response under Bush? We would like to do a follow up story on how you helped us prepare for this, back when the last scare happened, when you were the most junior Senator? Or is that more smoke and mirrors?
6)How is it another of your successes about Chrysler, when you told us that we HAD to pump billions of tax money into Chrysler to save it, then we HAD to take it over with a Car Czar to save it, and now it has to go bankrupt? Isn't this actually more proof that government just wastes our money while destroying private businesses? We would have saved all our tax dollars if we had let it go belly up like it should have already. So, please explain how this is a success, and how this figures into your claim that "I saved or created 150,000 jobs".
7) Where can we go for the economic analysis that traces back a "saved job" to a policy you have enacted?
8) How is it a successs to run on "cutting the government deficit" when you just quadrupled it? On "cutting the national debt" when you just doubled it or more?
9) Please explain how it is thay you claim to not have had any part of creating the deficit you inherited, when CONGRESS, not the POTUS, is in charge of a budget, and you were in Congress for the last 2 years of Bush? Therefore unless you voted down the budget, you were one of 100 Senators who created the "mess" you inherited. The only power a POTUS has is the veto, and this I lay at the feet of Bush. But, on the other hand, like with Clinton who saw the political writing on the wall and followed whatever the Repub Congress wanted to get the credit, I believe Bush was doing the same thing.
There is so much more to have asked, but of course when you have a press corps which gives standing ovations and whistles and claps to their adored annointed, what do you expect? Such an incredibly scary sight!! Isn't anyone else nervous about an adoring propoganda machine being the ones to give us our "news"?
I still have hope, though, when I look at what people say they actually want and what they think about specific policies. The vast majority of Americans are opposed to the vast majority of the Dem machine's policy proposals, and I think that as time goes on and the people see that they have been duped by a propoganda corps and pretty words/pretty face, that we will have yet another repeat of 1994.
Maybe that is what is necessary for our country to run. A Democrat president who gets to take the credit and appease the left/not get slammed by a leftist press, while a real Repub congress does the actual work of setting good policy. In other words, maybe this will still work out ok.