Open address to Ken Dauber - please form Shadow PAUSD Board
Original post made by village fool on Mar 21, 2013
The following is an open address to Ken Dauber. I wish I could have Edmund Burke or Eileen 1 edit.
Dear Mr. Dauber,
I am writing to call upon you to form a Shadow PAUSD Board.
I do not know you. You recently posted here - calling for an independent investigation. Seems that it is not about to happen.
I think you have everything necessary to lead a Shadow board - heart, basic common sense and integrity. In no way I am undervaluing your academic achievements and titles. It seems to me that you are trying to promote basic village values. 'Village' as in: It takes a village to raise a child.
My suggestions as to goals of Shadow PAUSD Board, bearing in mind that it is not Enron (as one commenter noted), but a public education system:
Short term goals of Shadow PAUSD Board: Investigate. Document. I am suggesting to call for input about incidents from the past decade. Reasons for the suggested long time frame:
1. Trust is easy to lose, extremely hard to gain. Given the fear of retaliation that was mentioned many times - hopefully graduates, or parents of graduates, will come forward. Hopefully trust can be rebuilt, slowly.
2. If past incidents were real - quite possible that some of those responsible are still around. Many of the staff members work decades in PAUSD.
3. Find out where and why the previous Strategic Plan failed to outline the process flows indicated by the recent OCR investigation. The excellent editorial initiating this discussion mentioned systemic issues. Such issues should have been noted by the previous Strategic Plan.
4. Try to figure out how the future Strategic plan will address these issues. A classified employee quoted part of the current survey, above. I do hope this input is not correct. In any case - survey questions are very important.
5. Maybe past employees will come forward? Those who retired? If their trust or support can be gained, it may impact others.
6. Hopefully current employees will come forward, and not only teaching staff. Many of us know that secretaries, for example, often are the most knowledgeable about the organization. I'm hoping for insight that could be gained if all levels of district employees were to come forward.
7. Possibly you'll find out that there is nothing to worry about. That would be a very important outcome as well to the many concerns posted lately.
Long term goals of Shadow PAUSD board: Many. A good start may be investigating the possibility that the current type of governance is not suitable to the current local culture. It is quite possible that this board model was set when there really was a village, prior to Corporate America culture taking over.
I hope you will consider my appeal.
If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.