My experience with Infinite Campus Registration Process
Original post made by Lily, Charleston Meadows, on Jun 8, 2011
First of all, I want to mention I NEVER received any notifications from the district regarding the Online Registration. I think parents were only contacted via emails but somehow I never received the messages. I heard about this from another parent last Tuesday week and she told me my children won't be able to attend school if we did not complete the registration online. I was worried so I drove down to the district office to find out more information, was told the project manager, Diane Lund was on vacation and was sent to the Central office, and left the office with a business card (to email Infinite Campus).
I left a message on my way out and took someone a day to call me back (maybe a lot of parents were on the same boat as me?) . I finally received the 32-digit activation code (yes, you read it correct, 32 digits) and created an account. I was told I need to wait an hour before the online registration link will appear in my Inbox. I waited two hours but the link was nowhere found. I called and messaged support again and they said the link was sent to my husband (but he doesn't have any account?!). After another hour, the link showed up. I clicked on it but only one child showed up. I messaged support again and they responded back fair quick and said they would work on it. I visited the district again (waited a day but haven't heard from support and I was worried about the status for my children because the deadline was around the corner and I did not want them to lose their spots at their schools.). I was once again told I needed to speak with another lady (maybe Diane Lund's sub?), who was not there yet. I could only visit them before I went to work and it was disappointed that she was not there to help at 8:30am. After another day of waiting, I finally able to register both children.
Some of the issues I had:
1. Information did not automatically transfer from one child to another. I need to re-enter all the contact information for me, my husband, three emergency contacts, doctor and dentist!
2. Mixed up information between me and my husband and I could not fix.
3. The interface is very old-fashioned. It uses Flash which my ipad does not support. It should be more user-friendly. The scrolling works poorly too.
4. No confirmation page. Parents should be able to save the form as PDF after they submitted the form.
5. No confirmation email to let parents know they have registered their children.
6. After completed the registration, the "online registration" message in the portal Inbox should disappeared. I was confused if Ihave completed the process or not (again, problem would resolved if an confirmation email was sent).
This is a very poor system; especially we have used a better system (InfoSnap) in previous years. Compare to InfoSnap, Infinite Campus behaves badly:
1. Why only one parent in the household has access to the registration form and it was picked by the system randomly?
2. Parents cannot fill out the forms half-way and continue at another time. They need to go through all the pages again, from the beginning. It is very frustrated, especially for all working moms with very limited time.
Another thing I need to mention is, I am not sure why the district did not send letters to families who haven't submitted the form, even after the deadline (June 1st). I was told my email address was mistyped in the system so it couldn't deliver and children cannot start school if they didn't have the form completed. Is the district expecting to send all these children home on the first day of school?
I hope the district can tell us why during this financial crisis, they are spending our tax money on this new piece of software? How much they have spent on this software and how much they spent to hire the project manager who obviously failed her job badly. I thought a project manager should overlook all the details and make sure the project runs flawlessly and before pushing the product out to parents! We are having so many issues! My list can go on and on but I should stop.
I love the district but hate to see our money go into bad investments.